What to include in an estimate/quote for a photoshoot

daniel_dester

<p>I'm mostly an amateur, but I might be getting my first gig to shoot a factory for their web site. I need to send them a quote/estimate this week, but since this will be the first time I'm getting paid for my work, I have no idea what I should include, or what kind of legal verbage I need to include.</p>

<p>For example, how should I break down my estimate? I think I would be quoting for about $800-$1000. This includes one full day of shooting, and 175 miles of travel (~3.5 hrs) each way, to/from the site. They're also looking at about 50 shots or so. I can provide them with all the shots, but should I price out each one separately that needs editing? Should I price out travel separately? Or, should I just leave the estimate at say $900 and say that it includes everything?</p>

<p>Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions. If you have a sample of a quote/estimate, that would be even better! Thanks.</p>

<p>Lots of good examples in John Harrington's book "Best Business Practices for Photographers" and the ASMP publication "Business Practices for Photographers"<br>

Tad Crawford's book "Business and Legal Forms for Photographers" has editable files for all the examples.<br>

I personally would itemize it this way:<br>

1 day location shooting @ $900/day<br>

Travel 1/2 day @ $500/half day<br>

Post processing ~50 photos 1/2 day @ $500/half day<br>

Equipment Rental: (as needed)<br>

Assistant: (as needed)<br>

Accommodations: (as needed)<br>

I would also include licensing fees unless you plan to include them in your shooting fees.</p>

<p>If you are working in California, you will be required to charge sales tax on the entire amount if you deliver even one print or CD/DVD, so if it's possible to deliver everything electronically (email or FTP) do so.<br>

Make sure your estimate specifies exactly what you will deliver (full resolution TIFF, low resolution JPEGs, prints, etc.) and make sure it specifies what the client must provide (120VAC power, unlimited access, necessary safety equipment, etc.)<br>

Don't forget how much time will be required for file prep and printing (if required). For me, creating deliverables (files, prints, license agreement, invoice, etc) takes a substantial chunk of time. I now include that in my Post processing time.<br>

<Chas><br /></p>

<p>Charles says it the best. I was in the same boat as you. I had something I had never done before but the business really wanted my services. It was for a Dental office which wanted digital photos for the web, brochures, advertising and so forth AND wall art for offices.<br>

.<br>

What I did was just make a list of different areas (Digital, artwork) and told them how I was figuring the prices so they realized I was just not pulling a price out of my butt. Plus, a longer list looks like it will cost more (without over doing it).<br>

.<br>

On a side note newbie to newbie. I know I charged too low but it was what I was comfortable with (my wife said THAT MUCH?). As I gather experience with this whole business thing and get more comfortable about charging for something I love doing I know I'll be raising prices as I go.</p>

<p>Don't under charge just because this is your first paying gig. Once you accept payment for your work you are, and must act like a professional. That means your work, your deliverables, your deportment, your attitude, everything.<br>

And professional photographers don't work for peanuts.<br>

If you're gonna be a pro, act like one, shoot like one, and charge like one.<br>

<Chas><br /></p>

<p>I can't answer your question about how to break down the estimate, but I will say that $900 for a full day, including travel and 50 images, sounds like you are selling yourself way to short on this. I recently sold my first two "real" fine art prints to a doctor's office that is opening, and they had asked if I'd be interested in shooting their open house also. It would have been a 2.5 hr party, and I would have had to travel 200 miles each way. I had no way to price it, so I talked to my cousin who is a photographer to get an idea of what to charge. After his advice, and breaking down what it would actually cost me to do it, I was considering anywhere from $650-900, depending on how many images they would want and what the licensing would be for. In the end, they found someone willing to do it for $500 and they would get ownership of all of the images, and I told them that I couldn't do it for that price. I wanted the gig, but I was comfortable turning it down because the price they were wanting to pay was too low.</p>

<p>I don't know the area you live in, but I'm in CA, on the central coast, and the gig was in San Jose. As for travel, I figured that using the govt. mileage rate of $0.55/mile. That's a fair rate, and it's what you would get paid if you were using your personal vehicle at your job. It also covers you on wear and tear, not just your gas.</p>

<p>I'd say that Charles' pricing sounds similar to how I would work it out if it were me. I too would probably be reluctant to throw out a number that high, but you are talking either a really long 15+ hr day, or an overnight stay, depending how you arrange the travel part, plus all the time in PP, and their licensing of the images, so the number sounds fair to me.</p>

<p>You should include (and break it down as line items)</p>

<p>Creative /Use fee; digital processing fee ( time is worth something, expertise is worth something, resources are worth something); travel expenses ( travel time shoudl be includedas part of you figuring out what you; Any rental equipment; any incidental expenses; meals; an assistant if you need one; any special equipment the job specifically requires; ideally some compensation for your liability insurance coverage ( I have one industrial company that requires me to maintain a $4,000,000 liability policy - -standard liability policies usually cover up to $1,000,000.</p>