What size should portfolio images be?

indysheart

<p>Good Day all;<br>

I have a simple question (I hope!). I am looking to start compiling some of my images into a paper portfolio, something that I can carry around and potentially show people who may be interested in selling prints at their stores, or otherwise exhibiting them. How big should I make the images? 4x6, 5x7, 8x10?? I had some printed at Walgreens... at the 5x7 size and they turned out well (but then I have always taken my photos to walgreens, the same one-- and have never had a problem with their printing-- and it is the right price for me right now). Any feedback that I could get on how best to go about this, would be great!! I have done writing portfolio's before-- but obviously this is a bit different. :P<br>

Thanks!</p>

<p>It is virtually impossible to see the quality of an image in the small sizes you speak of. Make a smallish portfolio of...say 8 prints, 11x14 in size, and of exquisite quality. Purchasers will be far more impressed, and inclined to treat your offer more seriously. Regards, Bob</p>

<p>mmmmm....sorry to disagree Charles......Always show at least two sizes larger, or more, than what you wish to sell. Who is going to be impressed by a bunch of 5x7's? No-one, that's who.</p>

<p>I have built my entire career on large print sales.....and you almost never can sell-up to a good size, from a small print... Regards, Bob</p>

<p>I notice no one has mentioned print quality. I sometimes use Walgreens for test prints but for anything else I use Mpix. Their prices aren't that much different except for shipping of course and I like their B&W work. I have some opportunities for displays coming up with possible sales and I'm thinking of a more custom lab like Dalmatian might be better, at least eventually.</p>

<p>Any thoughts on this? </p>

<p> </p>

<p>I've always considered 8x10 the standard size for a physical portfolio. Anything smaller simply doesn't do justice to your images and doesn't look "professional." I've seen people with 11x14 portfolios. But anything larger is just too big and awkward to handle. Unless you've gotten very lucky with the local drug store, I would get prints made a professional lab -- you only get once chance at a first impression. If you're trying to sell pictures in local shops that's different than going to someone looking for assignemtns, so it would be a good idea to also have a few samples of the actual product be it a gift card with your phots, matted prints, a framed print, etc. You also need an online portfolio today -- most people you might want to set up an appointment with are going to ask to look at your web site before they decide whether to give you time for an in-person meeting.</p>