Wedding Photography - Raw or Jpeg

stephen_curran1

<p>Hi Stephen.<br>

A short answer from me would be use RAW everytime (I do)<br>

However there are advantages to using both:<br>

RAW will generally give you a much better finished image than JPEG, but you will need a dedicated photo editing suite, such as Photo Shop, or one supplied by your camera manufacturer to handle the RAW extension. If you stuff it up in RAW, you can easliy reverse it, and you will suffer much less loss of quality post edit.<br>

JPEG is a smaller, simpler file allowing you to put far more images on the card, but does not scrub up as nicely post edit. Once you save your edited image, if you don't like it you cannot reverse it, unlike RAW.<br>

Speaking for myself, I would go with RAW because of it's better post editing results, and much less loss of quality. I find if I need to brighten an image, or flatten the contrast, RAW seems to retain it's colour and tonal ranges better than JPEG<br>

If you don't feel confident with RAW (Most people don't at first) then stick with what you know - JPEG. Easily edited, but for slightly lesser quality.<br>

Alternatively, most DSLRs now allow you to shoot both RAW and JPEG simultaneously. The best of both worlds.<br>

Hope this helps.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I would recommend making a backup before doing any editing to your files. Make sure they're copied off the computer (external hard disk, maybe DVD). This allows you to always go back to the original file, RAW or JPEG.</p>

<p>The answer can depend on how many memory cards you have, and how many images you plan to shoot at this wedding. If you know your camera and how to get good shots from it, then you may not have as much need for RAW as you think. Many of us shoot weddings mostly or entirely in JPEG, and have few issues, because we know what we're doing.<br>

I also have a philosophy that there are a TON of wedding images that simply do not need a huge RAW file at capture. If I shoot 10 or 12 shots of a cake cutting sequence, I'm simply not going to need 10 or 12 RAW files at 19 megabytes each, which I then have to process and convert to JPEG. It's just overkill. Most wedding image won't ever be printed larger than 4 x 6 anyway, and most modern DSLRs capture huge images. I only use RAW for critical portraiture and difficult lighting situations where white balance is weird (daylight from windows mixed with tungsten or flourescent).</p>

<p>I'd stick with what you know and are used to working with.  If you're shooting a photo journalistic style wedding you'll need gobs of storage shooting it RAW.  Sometimes, if I'm feeling especially paranoid about the lighting I'll shoot the formals in RAW but then all preparation, reception, and ceremony in JPEG.  If you haven't shot in RAW before definitely go out and experiment with it before the wedding to see if you can integrate it into your workflow.  </p>

<p>There are times when jpg is helpful in order to turn photos around instantly, such as in shooting news or printing event photos on-site. But for weddings -- when you normally have at least a couple of days if not a couple of weeks to

show the clients the proofs (either on paper or electronically) -- I don't see any reason to ever NOT use RAW. Ideally you can nail exposure, white balance, etc. right on the head every time and in that case jpgs would be fine. But

there are so many ways to screw up at a wedding and so many ways that RAW can save you that the extra insurance of being able to fix things in RAW greatly outweighs the extra memory needed or any other concerns. Memory

might have been an issue when a 1GB card cost $250, but today memory is cheap. As far as post processing you don't have to do everything that RAW allows. You can simply batch process everything into jpgs and let the

program run for an hour while you go get lunch. Then only go back and do RAW work on the files that need it. Current Photoshop can handle most RAW formats, and RAW software from Nikon or Canon only costs around $100.</p>

<p>I shoot both RAW and JPEG.  It does eat up memory cards but they are not that expensive.  Here is why I do this.  With RAW you have to convert the files to JPEG before it can be usable and printable. <br>

If I get the exposure the way I wanted on JPEG, no worries.  If not, I have the RAW files to make one to two stop adjustments.</p>

<p>It depends upon many issues, some major ones being:</p>

<p>Workflow process.</p>

<p>Clients`s expectations.</p>

<p>Number of images taken & somewhat the style in which they are taken.</p>

<p>The end result (purpose / use) of the images.</p>

<p>Skill, especially, apropos exposure.</p>

<p>(If Professional), the business model.</p>

<p>As an example, I use RAW + JPEG (L), and shoot about 600 to 800 images total, including

some Film, for the full coverage of a Wedding. The clients can view the presentation, finished

images, within about 48hours.</p>

<p>RAW + JPEG suits me. I understand logical reasons for others using either RAW only or

JPEG only. The most imprtant thing is to use what suits you, and (if professional) your business and not just

blindly do what others do. </p>

<p>WW</p>

• 2 weeks later...