Video glasse

rob_de_jong

Hello,

I do a lot of photography on the forest floor. Next to being in very uncomfortable positions, I pick up to many tics. That's why i want to start

using video glasses that can see what the lens sees. Is there anybody here with experience in using such set up?

Rob

<p>Hi Rob. I'm not sure I've heard of "video glasses". I would imagine just using live view with an external monitor would be the way to go (or using the flip-out screen on a D5x00 series). If you want the actual view through the lens with the mirror down and optics will do you, you could have a look for an angle finder - third party ones aren't terribly expensive (or weren't when I last looked), though availability may depend on your camera.<br />

<br />

Does that help at all?</p>

Andrew,

Oh yes, there is plenty of stuff out there. See for example the zeiss: http://www.zeiss.com/cinemizer-

oled/en_de/applications/2d--and-3d-viewfinder.html

I just wondered if anybody is using such a thing and how are the experiences with it. And ofcourse i would like to know

which i could best buy for my purposes.

I have the d5100 and I am using the flip out display a lot, but I have other camera's without this great facility.

Also, with those video glasses, you have a (much) larger image and no problems with ambient light obscuring the image.

At least, that is what I read on the net.

So those using a thing like this, please react.

Thanks,

Rob

<p>I get an error 404 on that link.</p>

<p>I guess you mean FPV, or First Person Viewer glasses? The aerial photo guys use them to see what the plane sees and thus the camera. As the D5*** series has only one lens etc, it's going to be a non-stereoscopic viewer, it may be binocular but that's different.</p>

<p>I suppose if you put a WU-1a wireless adapter into it, you could use a tablet to see the live view remotely.</p>

<p>I use my D5300 (with inbuilt wifi) and DSLR Dashboard app on Android to do wireless tethering to my Nexus 7 tablet....and for Windows XP with the Win App. on my netbook.</p>

<p>Ah, I see. I can understand doing this for stereo cameras, but glasses don't make so much sense for a single image. Various people do make video watching displays for wearing, and there are devices like the Oculus Rift, but video out to live view seems by far simplest. If the camera can't do that, you're probably down to an angle finder or pointing a compact camera with a fold-out screen through the viewfinder...</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The cinemizer OLED can be connected to a DSLR camera via a digital HDMI or analog video interface to transform it into an electronic viewfinder.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I can't see any wires, but it doesn't mention remote or wireless or wifi?</p>

<p>So there's a 20ft cable going into the back of this guys head from the camera up a boom pole...really?</p>

<p>I can imagine having my tablet on top of a 3ft pole with my camera at the bottom and filming/shooting a cat's view on the world.</p>

<p>Tilt and swivel screens on <em>all </em>of Nikon's DSLRs should be a standard feature IMHO. Not just on a few lower end models. Then no need to stoop, twist or grovel to see what the camera's seeing. However a small mirror angled so that you can see the screen in it would be another cheap alternative. Should be possible to knock up a cardboard holder at 45 degrees with little effort, and using a plastic mirror would reduce the risk of scratching the camera or its screen.</p>

<p>I guess that's a no! I don't really see why you'd want to. I can understand it for stereo videography, where you actually want a different view to each eye, but for a conventional still image it's probably much nicer to use a high-resolution tablet (most AR glasses aren't, although this may be changing; the Zeiss's 870x500 seems like very poor value compared with a cheap 2560x1600 tablet) that causes less visual strain and makes it less likely that you'll walk into a tree or steam up.</p>

<p>[[Many thanks for your input! Nobody uses video glasses for his/her photography?]]</p>

<p>You would be better served by a simple external monitor connected via HDMI or, if your camera supports it, remote viewing via your smartphone or tablet. </p>