Verichrome Pan - Found Film

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by va3uxb, Jul 13, 2011.

  1. I recently came across an exposed 620 roll of Verichrome Pan. Having read about found film several times here at I was eager to have a go at it myself. From the research and reading I had done, I knew that I'd be lucky to get anything usable but that didn't bother me. For me, the fun is mostly in the doing.
    I found the Kodak data sheet and saw that the developer I use (T-Max) was listed, so that gave me a baseline for developing time. My working mix is several months old and has seen a fair bit of use, so I add some extra time to compensate, and added some time to compensate for the age of the film.
    Ultimately the film spent 10:30 in the T-Max (4:1) at room temperature (77 degrees yesterday.)
    When I first took the film out of the tank I saw nothing but black, but then as I unrolled it I realized it was only the last couple frames that were gone - someone probably opened the camera without realizing there was film in it. The rest of the frames were actually fairly good! They weren't all in great focus, or great exposure, but as simple snapshots go, they'd have done the job.
    As for the actual images... I have no idea who the people are, where the shots were taken, when they were taken... it's all a mystery. Still, it's an interesting glimpse into the memorable moments of a stranger.
  2. Here's another shot...
  3. Frame 10, the last usable shot on the roll, the back was probably opened at frame 11.
    I've got all the images loaded on my own site here: Found Film
  4. That was a pretty good rescue. It doesn't look like much base fog at all.
    Where did you get the film?
  5. What a great film Verichrome Pan was. Bulletproof. Wide latitude. It was my favorite medium format film. Mourned it's loss. The clothes and ties on the guys at the "prom" look like early 60's, maybe late 50's - skinny ties, wide lapels. Great job.
  6. Nice save. Another good way to minimize fog in old film is Kodak's HC110, but again we often have to use what we have on hand.
  7. Thanks for the comments!
    I acquired the film via "that auction site". I have a second roll to try next, but it has no brand name on it. Just "Panchromatic Film 100 ASA" on the gummed tape.
  8. Use the same times on the no-name film and you should be fine. The labs processed all B&W films at the same time back then.
    Those exposures must from the early 1960's, quite cool.
  9. Thanks. I'd been missing my fix of Gene M's shots and this helps.
    Nice work with it.
  10. Interesting stuff. From the hairstyles (especially the women) I'd say these are probably from the early to mid 1960s. Nice rescue work!
  11. Very good!

    I bought a Revere Eye-Matic EE 127 recently with a roll of 127 color film in it, and just sent it off today to Blue Moon
    for processing. I wonder what's on it?
  12. It's amazing that you have managed to recover images from a film which is, what, 50 years old? That says a lot about the stability of the latent image.
  13. Stephanie Maks: As for the actual images... I have no idea who the people are, where the shots were taken, when they were taken... it's all a mystery. Still, it's an interesting glimpse into the memorable moments of a stranger.​
    Great recovery.
    You can see a California state flag in that first photo. Also, looking at your blogged set, the style of the street curbs, houses and trees suggests Northern California.
    The hairstyles give the impression that Jackie Kennedy was in the White house and pre-Beatles. I would guess 1962 to mid 1963.
    That's the extent of my detective skills. :)
  14. This incredible film was designed for D76 and Microdol X but works well for D76 1:1 or HC110-B. I appears that your developing time was far too great plus the fact that TMax developer is a terribel choice for VP, is too grainy and not nearly sharp enough.
    D76 @ 68F 7 min, 1:1, 9 min 68F, HC110-B 5 minutes 68F
  15. Very nice job! I wanted to thank you for posting this, because I had this old 116 roll sitting in a drawer that I had found in an old kodak folder I bought in a flea market over two years ago. You inspired me to finally take the time to process it :) I had to modify a 120 spool since I didn't have one that would handle 116 and scanning was tedious as well (again, no film holder for 116), but it was well worth the effort. I used Microphen stock, 7'30" at 20°C.
    There was less fogging than I expected, although the backing paper was stuck pretty hard to the film (hence the specks everywhere), but overall, I'm quite satisfied.
    Here's a sample:
    The rest is here:
    There might even be a possibility of finding some of the people in these, since I have the name of a relative, could be my next project ;)

Share This Page