Value of a photography degree

User_1172872

<p>Spending 3 years thinking hard about photography and doing a lot of it is certain to make you a better photographer. Will it enhance your employment prospects? Yes - more if your course has a practical bias. Will it guarantee you a job? Of course not - in the UK, approximately as many people are studying photography at any one time as are employed in the industry - I believe the percentage of graduates getting any kind of employment in the industry is around 5, only a few of these will have sustained careers. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>It's worth as much as any other liberal arts degree. </p>

</blockquote>

<p> <br>

A Philosophy degree is worthwhile if you want to become a lawyer. That's just one example. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>If it can't get you a job teaching (them that can't....)</p>

</blockquote>

<p> <br>

This is one of those nonsense sayings that gets repeated a lot. Plenty of teachers I have had throughout my life were/are highly successful at what they are teaching. It's just that, unlike some people who view the world primarily through monetary eyes, they seem to value to sharing and imparting knowledge.<br>

<br>

In fact, I think it's just the opposite. When I look at discussions here, for example, if someone is talking about technique, I always look to see their images. If they don't have them, I see them as talkers and not doers. I prefer to learn from doers and recommend that others take this approach. (The one exception is a good criticism can come from a non-photographer.)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>This is one of those nonsense sayings that gets repeated a lot. Plenty of teachers I have had throughout my life were/are highly successful at what they are teaching. <strong><em>It's just that, unlike some people who view the world primarily through monetary eyes, they seem to value to sharing and imparting knowledge.</em></strong></p>

</blockquote>

<p>werd</p>

<p>I happen to have a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Photography, from Art Center College of Design. i agree with D.B. in that it's the experience in earning the degree that holds the value. <br>

After working in the profession for a number of years I have gone on to a career in the photo products industry, and I'm sure that the fact that I had this degree helped obtain a better rate of pay than if I hadn't had it. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>If photography is something you are passionate about, yes. Will it financially pay off, maybe. There are a lot of people getting degrees in many fields having a hard time finding work in their field of study and there is no guarantee they will be able to pay off their college loan with a job in their field of study.</p>

<p>But believe it or not there are things with worth in life that can not be defined with monetary value, getting up every day going to a job you love to do and look forward too is worth a lot to the happiness and well being of the mind and soul. More so than going to a job you hate. But money does help pay the bills. It is a choice and you have to decide what you want.</p>

<p>If you are asking can I do this without a degree, it's not the only path, years of practice and self study and building an awesome portfolio can get you hired too. But having all that and a degree too can't hurt and may help open some doors. But no guarantees.</p>

<p> </p>

Cheers, Mark

Better to pursue a more solid

qualification which has more than

narrow value. In fact I believe that

you'd be better off with no degree at all.

Save your money and time and spend

them instead on improving your

photography!

If I wanted to write a novel I might take

a class about plot construction but I

wouldn't study for a fiction degree. Oh

yeah, that's because there isn't any

such thing.

Photography as a 'qualification' by itself

has no meaning. It really should be

rolled into fine arts. You want a

degree? Get a proper one or don't

bother.

From a purely personal perspective: I

don't need or want anyone else's

permission or assent to do what I love.

There are many things that I want to be

taught. But photography is too personal

and I don't want anyone to take credit

for my work, such as it is. It may

become a huge career, it may lead to

other things. Who can say? Either way, a degree in photography has no place in my life.