Using a pseudonym?

vi_young

I know that quite some photographers and artists use a

pseudonym instead of their real name. I decided to get a

different last name for my photography page as well.

But now I'm wondering, to the people that use a

pseudonym as well, do you use that name for everything

or do you use your real name as wel?

I mean in a way of answering emails, getting paid

through, for example, paypal, and writing contracts etc.

I'm not sure if I should treat it as a business name or my

own name so I'd like to know how the rest deals with a

pseudonym.

If anyone wants to know, I decided on a fake last name

since my own is German. But I myself am only 1/8th

German, don't live in Germany, and can't even

pronounce my last name the way it should be. I thought it'd be best because people might otherwise think I'm a

German bases photographer and a lot of people don't

even know how to write it correctly. So I thought getting an easy name wil be better and easier to remember

<p>I only use my real name on sites like this one.</p>

<p>Most of my pseudonyms have more correctly been called "aliases" by official sources.<br>

:)</p>

<p>Seriously.<br>

It can help, sometimes, to keep your various activities separate from one another. That was an important original purpose of "pen names" for authors of diverse kinds of writing, for example.<br>

It's all legal so long as you don't misuse your names for fraudulent purposes.</p>

<p>I think perceiving oneself named *Unpronouncable Tongtwister* is a classic reason to change one's legal name. Going through the related hassle once should be better than struggling on forever, especially in your case when you just smoothened it for the English speakers? <br>

If I wanted to establish a pronouncable business, I'd make it sound different than a person's name.</p>

Generally speaking, you can use any name you wish so long as the use is not fradulent.

However, for business purposes, it is a good idea to follow the rules for a DBA (doing business as) name. If you are a sole

proprietorship (your business income is comingled with your business income, you can use a DBA to avoid using your

personal name.

This would make it very easy to have a bank account under the DBA and to issue checks and invoices under the

assumed name.

The U.S. Small Business Administration has information on this:

https://www.sba.gov/starting-business/choose-register-your-business/register-your-business-name

<p>I've thought of setting up a DBA on a few occasions, but I finally decided that my name is my business name. Like Calvin Klein or Michael Cors, or Jose Ramirez (a Spain-based guitar building company founded by Jose Ramirez).</p>

<p>Vy, you've got me curious, though. I'm a linguist and I took German in high school (I'm also half-German), so I'm curious about the unpronounceable nature of your name. What, does it have an umlaut and a /ch/ or something?</p>

<p>On the web, in places that allow aliases, aka "handles," I'll use one, but this is mostly because everybody else does. Here, I use my real name because that's supposed to be the rule here.</p>

• 2 months later...

<blockquote>

<p>"With all the heightened government security and regulations in this era"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It depends what Government and what Jurisdiction under which one works.</p>

<p>***</p>

<p>As general comments -</p>

<p>In many countries, using a pseudonym for business purposes is not necessarily illegal and does not necessarily need to be an incorporated entity.</p>

<p>The second Studio I bought, I kept the previous owner’s name, but that was not an incorporated entity. I still use a (personal) pseudonym for the articles I write for a magazine not associated with Photography: once was paper but now it is on-line. </p>

<p>Maybe there are some Governments which are clamping down on the use pseudonyms for business purposes – or even for private purposes: but I think that we would have to articulate which are those Governments and in what regard is the clamping down. In any case the OP does not stipulate where she works although it seems that it is probably the USA, considering she commented apropos the link provided.</p>

<p>WW</p>