Used 5D classic... worth it?

alwin_lai

<p>This is for mostly portraitures, with occassional moving subjects (kiddies).<br>

Used 5Ds are around $800-1000 these days. Are they worth it say compare to the 7D which are around $1400. Me thinks, feature wise the 7D blows the 5Dc out of the water. But the 5D is FF and is the go-to camera for wedding/portrait photogs. And with the savings, I can get another speedlite or even another lens.</p>

<p>Thoughts?</p>

<p>Yes, absolutely worth it. If you can get a speedlight out of the difference in cost, then your results from the 5 will blow a 7 out of the water. Of course the downside is that once you go FF, you never want to go back :-) 50mm <em>is</em> 50mm again!<br>

...And unlike w/ the 7, high ISO pixel peeping will be a source of joy...</p>

<p>Did you make your priorities list, Alwin? Did you do extensive 'hands on' tests with each one? If you did both of these, you should have your answer.</p>

<p>The following would be my only comment, based on <strong>my</strong> experiences. I would predict you will not be happy with the 5D autofocus speed and accuracy with fast moving kids in dimmer light.</p>

<p>Did you make your priorities list, Alwin? Did you do extensive 'hands on' tests with each one? If you did both of these, you should have your answer.</p>

<p>I did Nadine. That is why I the 5D is back on the running. Before I thought I was set b/t a 1dmkIIn and a 7d. But went through some soul-searching moment and I feel the 5D is worth considering.<br>

Checked out the various bodies. The 5D didn't feel too different from my 30D which I plan to keep as 2nd body. Which is actually good because that means reaching for the various buttons will be exactly the same. The 1D was a monster to use. What's with the double button thing?! But that is because I didn't spend a long time with it.<br>

Lens list: 17-40L, 70-200L, 50 1.4, 10-22efs, 580ex & 550ex. If I get FF, the 10-22efs because it will be redundant and can only be mounted on one body. that will further free up even more cash to get a portrait prime.</p>

<p>The 5D mark I is a good camera. Compare the view finders of the 5D and the 7D. I am not sure, but the 5D might have a larger viewfinder as it has a larger mirror box. This may or may not make a difference. Of course, the 5D does not have live view. If you do get a 5D, watch out for the mirror assembly. The mirrors come off and will be repaired by Canon for free. You just don't want one to let loose on vacation or at an important event. The mirror on a used one might have already been updated. Or, you might check to see if Canon will update the mirror assembly before it fails (that's a good question). </p>

<p>I love my 5D and 24-105mm lens combo. But then I love all my Canon cameras, even the old film ones. Heck I even love my old Nikons, Prakticas, etc., so I'm obviously not a very discerning person. ;)<br>

The only drawback I would mention on the 5D is that the sensor seems to be be fairly bare by comparison to other digital Canons, and I have found it hard to keep clean if you swap lenses a lot.</p>

<p>Nadine, well what I want is a 7D. But all I need to get the job done is the 5D. Not to mention the local camera store guy kept harping against it in an obvious attempt to sell me the 7D. Can't deny that I do like the 7D.<br>

This is like checking out a brand new BMW vs. an old Porsche 911.</p>

<p>Considering your lenses; and your tasks; and that you will keep two cameras . . . <br>

If I were you . . . <br>

I would prefer:<br>

30D + 5D more than 30D + 7D<br>

7D + 5D more than 30D + 5D<br>

I would be prepared to work towards that, if I could not buy my desired result straight up.<br>

<br>

and I too would flick the EF-S 10 to 22.</p>

<p > <br>

WW</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The 5D didn't feel too different from my 30D which I plan to keep as 2nd body. Which is actually good because that means reaching for the various buttons will be exactly the same. </p>

</blockquote>

<p>I believe they both take the same batteries. At least, the 40D and 5D do.</p>

<p>Putting aside just plain 'wanting' a 7D, does the 5D fulfill your priorities list <strong>better</strong> than the 7D? If so, your answer is obvious. If not, or the margin is very slim, I would consider the 'wanting' a priority as well, but not weighted as highly. If I were in your position, I would re-evaluate the full frame/cropped sensor issue again, re priorities. Just 'getting the job done' doesn't sound like the 5D clearly came out on top.</p>

<p>I upgraded only last year to the EOS 5D Mk.1 -- it's a wonderful camera. Sure I miss some features of the 40D I had before (like Live View and automatic sensor cleaning), but the large viewfinder and accurate AF was just too good to go back to a lesser camera. Last thing I heard, the 5D-II has the same AF as the old one, which I can easily believe, as it is really very good (for static subjects). However, for fast moving subjects it is not so great.</p>

<p>On the other hand, wide angles are cheap and common -- e.g., the EF 24mm f/2.8 or EF 20mm f/2.8 USM primes. And since Canon has next to no dedicated APS-C primes, a full-frame dSLR is a much better deal for a prime lens user like me.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>30D + 5D more than 30D + 7D<br /> 7D + 5D more than 30D + 5D</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That is actually what I had in mind too. Ultimately it would be swell to have a 7D + 5D2. then again why stop there... But for now I think 30D+5D makes more sense than 30D+7D. Since the 7D would be able to do everything the 30D can anyways. Where as for the latter, the two will actually complement one another.<br /> EUREKA!<br /> I kinda knew deep down that the 5D is prolly the best choice especially I am factoring in ROR. It's just tough to find a good specimen lately.<br>

Yes the 5D shares the BP-511A battery with the xxD cameras. Wish it can use the same grip.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Ultimately it would be swell to have a 7D + 5D2"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I originally wrote that, as my last line, and then I edited it out, because you had not mentioned the 5DMkII.<br>

IMO, for what is available ATM, the best value for money, most versatile, TWIN camera pair (canon) is the 5DMkII and 7D.</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>Alwin, if cost is a concern for you, as it is for me, then just buy your 7D directly from Canon USA.</p>

<p>By using the Canon Loyalty Program, and the cost of an old, "broken" Elan IIe, my 7D(refurbished, but with Canon USA warranty) was approx. $1100. Item arrived as new(in a white box), not a mark on it, and has had no problems so far. Canon also gave me extra store credits, and a CF card to boot!</p>

<p>For me, it is not a problem to buy refurbished equipment directly from Canon USA. I "feel" that their equipment is thoroughly checked out, and thoroughly calibrated to Canon specs, in lieu of mass produced equipment just coming off assembly lines, then shipped overseas. Of course YMMV, but for me it, was my best choice in getting my 7D, and recycling some old broken equip.</p>

<p>Well, you should also think about the shutter life left on classic 5D you are considering to buy at $800-1000. If you need to replace shutter, it will cost you another $300~400. Personally, I think it's a great camera, but not worth spending that much money knowing that it will die sooner than other cameras at that price.</p>

<p>Alwin, not sure that CLP will work for another country.</p>

<p>I had made a service call to Canon Support, told them about the problem with my defective Elan. The tech advised me that the their were no new film cameras available, and the camera can not be replaced. I then told the tech, that I have heard of their CLP, and was transferred to a different department. There I had several choices of replacement cameras, 5dMark II($18xx), 7d($11xx), and Rebels. This was back in September, 2010. All in all, the broken Elan, saved me almost $275.00. Refurbished 7D's were about $13xx.</p>

<p>Canon sent me a return box with free shipping label, which was used for the defective Elan IIe.</p>