Used 5D classic... worth it?

alwin_lai

<p>Alwin, in my humble opinion, the 5D (original) provides better image quality than the 7D, due to noise and noise reduction artifacts in the 7D. Most of my comparisons have been at ISO 400. I own both models.</p>

<p>Be aware that I say this as a pixel peeper, not a large print scrutineer.</p>

<p>Also Alwin, it may have already been mentioned but you'll have more shallow DOF <em>available </em>from the 5D, than from the 7D. This assumes the framing, lens and settings are them same.</p>

<p>The reason for this is, you'll need to get closer to the subject with the 5D than with the 7D for the same framing. Depth of field decreases the closer a subject is to the lens.</p>

<p>Many <strong><a href="../photo/9304481">portrait </a></strong>photographers want shallow DOF.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I had made a service call to Canon Support, told them about the problem with my defective Elan. The tech advised me that the their were no new film cameras available, and the camera can not be replaced. I then told the tech, that I have heard of their CLP, and was transferred to a different department. There I had several choices of replacement cameras, 5dMark II($18xx), 7d($11xx), and Rebels. This was back in September, 2010. All in all, the broken Elan, saved me almost $275.00. Refurbished 7D's were about $13xx.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>So the CLP discount is only if you ship in a broken Canon camera? My SLRs are in fine condition. The film version is still working and it has sentimental value. I don't think CLP is available in Canada alas.<br>

It would be great though. At this point, I am leaning towards a 5D. However finding a good one is difficult or that the price is very close to a slightly used 7D.</p>

<p>For a variety of reasons I moved from a 5D to a 7D. If you are a pixel peeper you may well find the 5D delivers better results but for me the 7D is just a better tool for everyday shooting - details such as the switchable viewfinder grid, remote flash control, in-built level, easy switch focus points, fast burst for sports etc make it more suited to MY kind of work. I had trouble getting my 5D to focus on fast moving stuff - the 7D just locks on. Maybe poor technique made me less proficient with the 5D but I know how I would go. Or you could wait for the 5D Mk III which will be an FF 7D ( how do people know this stuff to be true?), or the new 7D MkII which will also make you a cup of coffee whilst you work out how to use all its features or......<br>

As a general purpose camera that does pretty much everything except offer FF, the 7D is a little cracker. </p>

<p>Just an update and to provide closure to my dilemma. I have decided to go with the Canon 5D. This over the newer 7D and also another body the 1dmkIIn. Reason being that with my current lens line-up, I am essentially doubling up the lens FL choices. I've played with the 7D, it is a camera that I want. But it is not as suitable for what I am doing which is portraiture. Given that i will be keeping my 30D as my "fast" camera, I think the 5D is a good addition. Despite the staggering amount of feature set of the 7D over the 5D Classic, the FF IQ cannot be denied. For my needs, it really delivers.<br>

So far am loving this combo. I will eventually replace my 30D with a 7D down the road. Thanks everyone for your contribution especially Nadine that suggested to me to go on a soul-searching session. =)</p>

<p> </p>