Tripod

ade_brelage

<p>I am traveling to Europe (my last trip I think) and I would like to take pictures at night, at slow shutter speed and inside not very lit places, though I think carrying a tripod would be indispensable. Because I am not very fond of carrying it every day, I am planning to visit those places that require a tripod the same day / night but also the weight and bag is a concern to me. Do you have any suggestions of what tripods are the best concerning weight and stability? Thks</p>

<p>Chris, I am taking a D5000 with a AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G (17 oz /485g) and a F-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G (10 oz/280g) and I would like to buy a versatile tripod and about prices... something average but if I have to sacrifice something (we always have to) I would sacrifice in price)</p>

<p>You will also need a remote release of some kind for the camera, although the self-timer can be used in a pinch.</p>

<p>Tripods that will serve range from about $40 (an <a href="http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-Professional-Photo-Video-Tripod/dp/B0002XQDSS">Opteka</a> almost disposable) up to over a thousand dollars for the best (<a href="http://www.adorama.com/GZGK3580QR.html">LINK</a>). The really cheap ones like the Opteka would serve for short-term use with the lenses you have. It is short enough when folded to pack into your suitcase instead of challenging airport security, but cheap enough you won't need to worry about it being stolen. It is one of the relatively few tripods that are long enough when extended to not force an average person to stoop when using it. Mine is still going strong after 5 years since I rarely use a tripod, but my daughter who was in the photography program at the Seattle Art Institute for two years wore hers out in less than a year of heavy duty work. We got her a fairly nice carbon-fiber <a href="http://www.velbon.co.uk/newvelbon/pages/photo.html">Velbon</a> that seems to be holding up well.</p>

<p>JDM, thank you I am checking the Velbon tripods. They look very good, sturdy and not expensive. I need to see if I can find them when traveling (I am living in Mexico and there aren't any Velbon here). Here they have Manfrotto and I saw the X190Prob and I like it (but it is heavy and the price) Thanks again</p>

<p>At various times, the Velbon tripods have been sold by the "big box" discount stores, occasionally at lower prices than from the established mail-order stores like Adorama. There are other, lower price Manfrotto tripods as well as some very expensive ones. My guess is that a tripod/head combination that is around US $150-250 -- and has the right dimensions, weight limits (very modest in your case), and so on -- will be more than sufficient and durable.</p>

<p>The trouble with buying in Europe is (1) the high value of the Euro right now and (2) the danged Value-Added Tax that makes everything so high there. As a non-European resident, you may be able to avoid the tax, but probably not on a "take-with" purchase.</p>

<p>Yes, I know, but because I am planning to buy it outside Mexico I think I could buy a better choice without paying extra for buying it in Mexico. Prices in USA I think are the best. I do not know in an airport, there are probably few choices and I do not know about the prices.</p>

<p>I use the Manfrotto 190XDB Tripod & Manfrotto 484RC2 Mini Ball Head which gives you very good stability/ weight ratio for a non Carbon Fiber setup. Mine is about 4 years old and shows no sign of wear after heavy use so far. You can pick up the above combo at Adorama or B&H, also try Amazon and Ebay. Expect to pay about $ 150,- with a rapid release system included. <br>

Come to think of Carbon Fiber tripods I can only recommend to stay away from cheap setups as they can vibrate much more that aluminum and some are even heavier that comparable alloy setups. <br /></p>

<p>I travelled recently with a Tiltall Traveler (AFAIK only sold by Adorama). Worked out well - it packs reasonably small and doesn't weigh too much, and one leg can be removed and used with the ballhead as a monopod. Good budget option.</p>

<p>Being that I'm not especially familiar with Nikon cameras, you can really help yourself with 'less solid' tripods if you use a IR shutter release or at least a general shutter release cord. Using a ckeap tripod I found that, provided there wasn't too much wind, I could get sharp long exposures provided I didn't touch the camera on the tripod. Obviously a mirror lockup is even better.</p>

<p>ade - the 732cy is a mini. It's smaller than normal and being carbon fiber it's light, so it is what it is - but it's rigid. I used it with a 488rc2 normal head. I would avoid the small heads. If you have a good store where you can test out tripods hands-on it'd be good. The 732 is a lot sturdier if you drape something over it to weight it down. Your camera bag is one obvious choice. Put the strap around the head and let it hang down.</p>

<p>Arie thank you for your tip! I haven't heard of it until you mention it. I am going to check if it is available. Thank you also for your comment on my resignation about this being my last trip. Maybe it will not, but who knows. At least I am going to live it as if is is going to be it.</p>

<p>Ade</p>

<p>Re: in Europe, it's a hit and a miss. I think technically you are allowed to use them if you are not endangering others like pedestrians however the Police may have their own beliefs. But then again I have seen pple using a cheap tripod with their point and shoot ....</p>

<p>Depends how much you can hack. I have a Gitzo traveler so side ways it fits in a daypack. Some others think you need a fullsize tripod just to be decent .... my 2cents.</p>

<p>Ray & Michael, I am checking the Gitzo traveler, but what scares me is the price... and about the table top tripod, I have one but without the head part. I will consider it but I think I am more inclined to buy a good one and organize to visit the places where I want to use it in the same day / night, and then take more photos but without one. I think that way I will have the best of both worlds if that is possible. I finally have to admit that to take some photos you need a tripod. I loved the Gorillapod though, it is really cute. Probably for some special occasions is the appropriate one.</p>

<p>The Gitzo Traveler is really nice. Coupled with a RRS plate and head I don't think you'd go wrong. An expensive tripod and a cheap head may be useless.</p>

<p>A table top is cheap. You can get one for less then 10 bucks, and as you note in some situations it's a much better solution to a full size tripod. Even a small one.</p>

<p>I never used a Gorilla. It doesn't look to compact very well so I would personally pass. The real key is to get what works for you.</p>