tri-community photo center vs community college

hy_w

Anyone know much about this? I worked in pasadena and was thinking about taking some photography

classes at santa monica college since I heard their classes are really good. Then I found out about tri

community photo center in covina. There seems to be some pretty good review for it too. Covina sure

sounds a lot closer than santa monica. Which would be a better place to start learning more?

I don't know, you didn't say much about the cost or the equipment in either facility. Usually with community colleges you can transfer the credits you earn towards a higher degree.Community colleges also have teachers with higher credentials, something you should think about. check out the placement in both institutuons, I mean do they help you find a job, or do they just take your money and wish you good luck.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh Tri-com is AMAZINGLY cheap and very convenient. You get to have however many

classes you want for one price $135. You can switch around classes if you want, too. Very

flexible, friendly, resourceful, and affordable environment. You get to use their printing

facilities for free. You can even use their studios (for your OWN projects) for free.

You sign up for "credit" or "no credit" and the credit one gets you a certificate at the end of

700 + hours documenting your profession in photography (and listing the areas of

photography you excel in). This is my first quarter and I am already in love with it. They've

been around for 25 years or so and I don't know why I hadn't heard about it until a month

and a half ago.

It's way closer to you. Flexible hours. Cheaper.

They also have computer graphics for photographers, website interface design, etc. All

included within the fixed price.

They describe their school as a Disneyland or open buffet type of thing. Pay at the door

and get to play all day long or eat all you can eat.

The largest adult (non-2 year or 4 year college) photo school in the nation. People drove

from Nevada and Arizona to go to this school once a week.

You get to learn a lot from peers cause some are professionals in the field for 30+ years

who are there to learn about the digital world or whatever they're there for.

Not the greatest website, but http://www.tri-communityphotoprogram.com

• 11 months later...
<p>I've taken classes at Tri-Community for 2 terms and am back for a third. First...it's an adult ed program, not a community college. So if you're looking for credits to transfer, this ain't it. But if you're interested in a great introduction to photography, this is great. The instructors are professional photographers not teachers...which has both good and not so good implications. The quality of instruction ie: classroom technique/management varies greatly from teacher to teacher. What I have found is that I get what I put into it. The program is very open as <a href="http://www.photo.net/photodb/user?user_id=3757083">iman al-dababagh</a> mentioned, but if I miss many classes, it's me who loses out. The students tend to be working people there for a hobby or looking to develop their hobby into something more, or retirees. I'm of the retiree variety and have found that I enjoy the daytime classes most because they have fewer people, however, the variety of classes increases greatly in the evening class schedule. After all, the instructors are working professionals! My niece was a photog major at UCLA and I certainly can't say that tri-community matches the quality of instruction there...but it sure meets my needs!!! </p>