Trade Up to the Z System?

Mary Doo

Received this interesting email offer from Nikon today. - Said they would even throw in the FTZ lens adapter for free.

Nikon Z6 and Z7 Trade Up | Request Estimate

I am not really sure if there is a question here or if it is a heads up?

I am based in Europe where (just as an example) the Z6/24-70mm/FTZ kit has been sold with an instant discount for a while now - and including 25% VAT in my country - the kit is selling at the exact same price here as is offered above by Nikon USA.

Looking at the Nikon USA offer; If I throw my old GH2+kit lens in, I get an additional 85USD discount - which may be fair, but isn't attractive to me as the GH2 would be of more value to me.

With that said, I think the Z6/24-70mm/FTZ kit is attractively priced at the moment. It is on par with a Sony A7iii/24-70 kit -at least where I live. I think the Nikon kit has more going for it than the Sony - especially if you have Nikon glass laying around.

Edited by NHSN
  • Like 1
Niels

Trading in either a D810 or a D500 amounts to $550 in both cases. The real cincher comes when you trade in the D500 with the 16-80 VR lens - Nikon adds another $225! Nevermind that even refurbished Nikon is asking $900 for the same lens! In terms of trade-in value, $550 for a D810 is quite a bit more than what you get if you sell an LN- or EX+ body without battery and charger to keh; and a quite a bit less when you manage to throw in a battery and charger as well. keh also gives you up to $150 more for your 16-80 depending on condition.

Personally, a D810 to Z7 swap that'll cost me $2150 isn't (a) a good deal and (b) not a trade-up but at best a lateral move. I'd rather get a D850 - if I was interested in better AF for what I am using my Nikon FX gear for.

I admit the optical quality of the Z-mount lenses releases so far appears to be outstanding and not matched by their F-mount offerings - but none of the Z bodies so far appeals to me sufficiently to give up the DSLRs for it. And the available lens selection doesn't suit my needs either.

Edited by Dieter Schaefer
  • Like 3

Just out of interest, I popped my D810 in the box...

Virtual box I hope Mike.

So the full price of the 'free' FTZ is being added on to the fairly miserable trade-in offer? That's not free at all!

I'll buy as many excellent condition D810s as you've got for $300 each please Mike.

Also, Nikon's listed price for the Z6, body only, is more than you'd pay for the Z6 + FTZ at most online shops at current UK £/$ conversion rates. And that's not even taking our extortionate VAT rate into consideration.

So, basically, Nikon are charging you almost the same as you'd pay online, but disposing of your old camera for nothing.

What a con!

Edited by rodeo_joe|1
  • Like 1

Nikon discounts $300 from the camera and the entire $249 for the FTZ. In other words, the FTZ is "free" in this offer, for a net $549 discount even if you don't have a trade-in. You would get $550 for the trade-in, not $300 as suggested above.

Is the D810 worth than $550 to you as a usable camera. That's a decision only you can make. You could always sell the camera independently, for more than the trade-in value.

Personally, it depends on the value of the camera to me. B&H offered me a generous trade-in for my A7ii, which I hardly used, against an A9, which I accepted. On the next round, B&H offered only $900 for the A7Rii, which I used extensively, against an A7Riii, which I declined. IMO, the A7Rii was worth more to me as a backup and video camera.

Edited by Ed_Ingold

Think the bottom line is whether you want the Z6/Z7 or not. If you don't, then thou shalt not succumb to temptation and bribery. I happen to like the Z6/Z7 - having had experience with Olympus MFT for quite a few years now and I consider this the alternate full frame version. But to be honest, I have yet to get acquainted with them. But love is blind. :D
  • Like 3

You would get $550 for the trade-in, not $300 as suggested above.

Theoretically, if Nikon's pricing was competitive with current Black Friday deals, but it isn't.

Nikon's $300 + $249 'instant discounts' only take their list price to a nearly competitive level.

I'm seeing a Z6 + FTZ offer from Amazon for £1510 = $1933, leaving Nikon's combined instant discounts about $67 short of Amazon's offer.

True you get another $550 in PE for a D810, but I expect you need to pay for shipping your camera to Nikon at your own expense, which could cost about $50 with courier service and insurance. So that's effectively $117 dollars lost from the offer.

Even if you came away from the deal with $450/£350, that's not really a fair price for a minty D810.

I did mean to write £300 not $300 previously BTW, but it still doesn't make the deal much sweeter.

Nikon is maneuvering to increase their market share, and gather up a few more satisfied customers to spread the word to their colleagues. Nothing nefarious is going on, besides Marketing 101. It is not unusual for distributers and stores to offer comparable discounts, undoubtedly with Nikon's blessing. Grey market is another choice, provided you never need repairs or expect a trade-in allowance.