Tokina 17-35 f4 vs Nikon 17-35 f2.8

andre_noble5

<p>Hello, I have been looking at the nikon17-35 f2.8 to replave a nikon 20-35 f2.8 AF D I sold a year ago. i loved the build quality of that lens.</p>

<p>Are there any forum members who are using the new <strong>17-35 f4 lens Tokina</strong>? Ken Rockwell says that the Tokina is great. But then again he states in all his sharpness tests that resolution is not important? (to HIM maybe!).<br>

I have seen from web sample images that Tokina 17-35 f4 has amazing low distortion, but i am concerned about critical resolution capbilities at 17mm and 35mm wide open throughout the frame.<br>

But there is still no scientific resolution tests such as on dpreview, DxO, or Photozone.de for this lens yet.</p>

<p>Any real world <strong>user</strong> input - as oppsed to conjecture based on interpolating Tokina's previous offerings - anyone can do that :) - appreciated. Thanks</p>

<p>Robert, that's a completely different lens. The 16.5-135mm is a midrange zoom for crop sensor cameras (such as the D90 or D7000), comparable in market position to the Nikon 18-105mm VR. The 17-35mm absolutely exists, and it's role is a wide-angle zoom for full frame cameras (i.e. the D700 or D3). You are free to verify this fact with a cursory google search. Andre, I am not a full frame DSLR user and don't have experience with this lens, but given Tokina's track record, I would assume that it's a solid performer. Look at how thoroughly their 11-16mm lens has won everyone over, I don't think I've read one negative thing about it, and that's about . The 17-35 is a relatively brand new lens, so there isn't much info out there on it. DXOmark isn't scheduled to test the lens until March. However, the Nikon 16-35mm at only $300 more is pretty tempting, considering the features, performance, and how much it will hold its value.</p>

<p>I use the Nikon 16-35 f/4 VR lens on my D7000 and I think this lens is far superior to my prime 35mm f/1.8 DX lens, which was a favorite before I got the 16-35. The distortion at the 16 & 17 mm is nominal and not more than you see with any extreme wide angle lens. The VR on this lens allows me to handhold as slow as 1/8 second without blur. I don't understand how Nikon did that, because to me it is magic. In short, buy this lens. You will love it. The Tokina lens to get is the 11-17mm. The quality of this lens is like no other that Tokina makes. Together with the Nikon 16-35 f/4 VR, you've got all the wide angle you'll ever need.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em><strong>"I have seen from web sample images that Tokina 17-35 f4 has amazing low distortion"</strong></em><br /><em> <strong> </strong></em><br /><em> Quite the contrary, I may say, from what I saw on this japanese website :</em><br /><em> <a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.kenko-tokina.co.jp/tokina/atx17-35.html#w02" target="_blank">http://www.kenko-tokina.co.jp/tokina/atx17-35.html#w02</a>"</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Which picture suggests distortion to you? We're talking about optical barrel / pincushion distortion, not perspective-based distortion.</p>