$$$ to become a member of the IATSE Local 600

<p>From a job announcement on their website:<br>

"The International Cinematographers Guild, IATSE Local 600, is the largest camera union in the world. Local 600 represents Directors of Photography, Camera Operators, Optical Operators, Camera Assistants, Technocrane Operators, Camera Utility, Video Operators, Film Loaders, News Photojournalists, Still Photographers, Visual Effects Supervisor, Visual Effects Photographers, CGI Artists, Digital Compositors, Animation Operators, Video Controllers, Digital Imaging Technician, Digital Utility, Sports Photographers, Publicists, Kodak/Panavision Preview System Technicians in the motion picture and television, corporate communication and advertising industries all over the United States."</p>

<p>They call themselves a Guild, SAG is a union as well. The staff position they are looking to fill is represented by a different union. They could tell you the enrollment fees and dues. I'd expect the value of membership is going to vary with location and your skill sets.</p>

<p>For news photographers, the best organization is the National Press Photographers association. It offers both a job bank and a listing of available freelancers in most areas. It also represents news videographers.<br>

Many freelancers belong to NPPA and to ASMP (American Society of Media Photographers) for a variety of reasons.</p>

<p>With your four examples of photos, it looks as if you should be working on marketing to magazines or doing stock photography.</p>

<p>Alfonso,</p>

<p>I don't know the current initiation dues, but yes, they start at about $5000 to maybe $10,000 depending upon job classification.<br>

Annual dues are about $1000 + 1% of income.</p>

<p>Does it bring you work? Not at all, you have to find your own work. But there are many employers who have union contracts that must hire union members unless all union members are employed elsewhere. I think you can join the union just by paying dues, but you can't work unless you are on the "Industry Experience Roster" run by motion picture producers. So, there is no need to pay the union until you are on the Roster.</p>

<p>To get on the Roster, I think, unless it's changed, you must prove that you've been paid for work in your job classification on Non-Union productions for 100 days within a 3 year period. So save all your paycheck stubs, you'll need them!</p>

<p>Good luck:)</p>