Tips for photographing kids with blue eyes?

dana_jill

<p>I've seen pictures where kids blue eyes have so much depth and tone... then others (like mine) where there tends to be alot of reflection and spots. What is the best way to shoot close ups and portraits of kids with blue eyes in order to get the lightness of their eyes to really pop?</p>

<p>Gosh, Dana, there are infinite ways depending on ones objective. </p>

<p>I usually go about it first by isolating the eyes with the selection tool, then it's mostly a matter of Contrast and Color tweaks for the desired effect. If you want a little more control, Copy the selection and make it a new Layer. This will give you better control in later (opacity) Blending with the original.</p>

<p>You can go to extremes such as the manipulation below as compared with the original:<br>

<a href="../photo/8035554">http://www.photo.net/photo/8035554</a><br>

<a href="../photo/3381435">http://www.photo.net/photo/3381435</a></p>

<p>A number of video tutorials can also be viewed on YouTube:<br>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=photoshop+eyes&search_type=&aq=f">http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=photoshop+eyes&search_type=&aq=f</a></p>

<p>Well, I stink at portraits but since my grand daughter has been around, I have a semi-cooperative 'model' who let's me play a bit (for a finite time before she wooshes off). Here's one in daylight, dappled shade, two external SB600 strobes and the D200 pop up acting as commander.<br>

My best attempts have been with lots of light (read:small pupils, max. iris). In this image, I've just added a very little bit of iris pop by increasing saturation after lassoing the eye. This is along the lines of what Michael suggests. I'm a novice at people photos, so I learn more each outing. Casually, I've noticed some people have more photogenic eyes; not sure if that's valid or an assumption.</p>

<p>It's an adventure to be sure.<br>

Jim M.</p><div>00S13Y-103817584.jpg.f45d4941c1d824d25a3575eba913824e.jpg</div>

<p>We once had a potential hire come for interviews, years ago. She had the most intense blue eyes that captivated a number of our more elderly male staff. We hired her, and it turned out that she was wearing blue contact lenses.</p>

<p>So don't scorn the advice to Photoshop, it was done long before Photoshop even existed. Most of the time, there "ain't nothing <em>natural</em> to it."</p>

<p>Dana,<br />Lighting might also be a factor...I have a funny feeling that if you go tweaking the photos in PS, that it will probably look a tad fake. After all, who's baby looks like a high end fashion model? You can really make eyes pop based on the lighting, amongst other things. Try getting a little closer and isolating them. You could even go to Home depot, buy a 2x3 piece of white foam core, and a 10" clip on light with some sort of diffusion for under $20...just check out the basic lighting tutorials on here and elsewhere.<br />Good luck.</p>

<p>Brilliant natural blue or green eyes can sometimes tolerate a bit of careful, selective tweaking to boost saturation. Conversion to JPEG often reduces the brilliance of certain colors, so done properly it just helps maintain the natural color.</p>

<p>One of the great features to the underrated <a href="http://www.dl-c.com/"><strong>Picture Window Pro</strong> </a> software is the excellent tutorial showing how to selectively treat areas like eyes to maintain color fidelity.</p>

<p>It also depends on the angle of the light coming to the eyes. What I have found, is that you need certain amount of light coming "direct" in to the eyes. They will change their coloring pretty easily into anything from green to grey if left in the shadow. So you need to pay real attention to your lighting to get the eyes shine.<br>

Also, it helps, that you do some tweaking in the photoshop. Normally some individual curves, saturation etc. But nothing too much, or it will start looking separete from your model.<br>

Jim Momary, if I may say, you need to correct the black part of the pupil also. Now it's starting to look red. Always after the alteration, make the pupils black again, remove staturation for example.</p>

<p>I do a lot of children't portraits and eyes are a unique thing - my son has the dark blue eyes and they rarely look as beautiful on film as in person - in fact on file they tend to look almost black - I will post a photo - then I have taken children with light blue eyes and they are amazing... I think it is good lighting and fill flash to help with the catch light - I am attaching a few examples - non of these have had any post processing done to them...</p>