The photography of Dr. Jonathan Singer

Check out the current issue of ART NEWS magazine for the article about the

gentleman mentioned above. He just sold a hand made photo book for $2.5

million. It may be the most paid for a photo book. The subject is orchids. His

color prints were shot with a Hasselblad digital camera. He has just acquired a

Linhof for current use (one of the limited edition bright red Master Technika

3000's). He will shoot chromes and scan them in the future. Dr Singer is also

featured in vanityfair.com, though it may be the last issue.

i couldn't find the Art News article online, but Vanity Fair has an online article about him...

pretty cool stuff, just goes to show if you have the gear, you can get the shot. the 2.5

million was however for a set of 5 of his books, with 250 total photos in them... 30x40

inches big. i would have to buy a bigger book shelf.

(1st) By the way ... Podiatrists are not "reel" doctors, go to an Orthopedist if you need a doctor. (Had to get that one off of my chest)

(2nd) Orchids are beautiful and complex ... it's like a beautiful woman, the photo will look great unles YOU completely blow it. I am no pro, and will withold my opinion ... but did any of those shots in the VF article "blow you away"? If they were here on PN, what Originality and Aesthetic rating would they get?

Thanks for the links. It's interesting that he started by looking at paintings of flowers for a long time before doing the photos--you can really see the influence, I think, especially that of the older painters. I went to the article prepared to be cynical, but he really does get into the flower in a way that others don't, doesn't he?

Thomas: I have 3 of Dr. Singer's prints, which I traded for 4 of my 4x5 palladium prints. They are beautiful, much more so than the poor magazine reproductions. As far as real doctors go, I am no expert, but it seems that an MD degree makes a person a doctor, though that has nothing to do with his photography.

"Podiatrists are not "reel" doctors" [sic]

What are you trying to say? Podiatrists have a DPM degree, and of course they are docs.

Podiatrists do not have an M.D. and can ONLY practice foot-related medicine. M.D.'s can practice any sort of medicine they choose.

"The print is the thing." Word.

But why bring this up?

About the Dr. Thing ... I was joking, Podiatrists are real touchy about that ... I love to push their buttons.

About the pictures, I love orchids, but was wondering whether your professional eyes saw them as special.

I figured you were sorta coming from that direction Thomas.

Podiatrists can perform surgery on the foot. The doctor's (printed large) orchid photos are astounding and Special.

(and there are a small %age of DPM's who also have MD's)

I'd like to see a video of him at work. If he's as fast as the interviewer mentioned I could use some lessons in boosting productivity without compromising too much on quality. Takes me for-freakin'-ever to do anything with macrophotography or lighting more complicated than a single on camera flash.

• 1 month later...