The Final Fujica ?

<p>I won't go into great detail, since I've been banging on about these Fujicas for the past twelve months. It joins the 35-SE (in the f/1.9 and f/2.8 versions), the beautiful 35-EE, and the innovative 35 Auto-M in making an attractive group of Fujica rangefinders from this era. The 35-ML is the earliest and most basic of the range, just a simple rangefinder camera, without in-built exposure metering, but with the thumbwheel focusing, side-mounted rewind and baseplate film wind which makes these cameras so distinctive. As with the 35-SE model, the lens is the fine 45mm Fujinon f/2.8 4-element lens, and the shutter is the Citizen-produced Fuji Synchro MXL, speeds 1 to 1/500 plus B.<br /><br />For some reason these are quite rare cameras in my part of the planet; in two years this is only the second copy I've seen put up for sale, and this one needed a little TLC to remove decades of grime. The accessory shoe was missing, but luckily this component is identical with others in the model range and I had a spare on hand. Anyway, I can stop chasing Fujica 35's...I'll put a film through this beauty, but I may not bore you with the results!</p>

<p>One again a beautifull presentation form Rick... even if without results...</p>

<p>But, Rick, as I can see from a nice japanese web site, your collection is not complete:<br>

<a href="http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/%7Erd2h-ari/FUJICA_LIST2.htm">http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/%7Erd2h-ari/FUJICA_LIST2.htm</a><br>

Seems you can still look for the "35M" and the "35ML (F2)" ;-)<br>

Any way, these Fujica 35 are nice camera!</p>

<p>PS: for japanses rangefinder and compact camera lover, the same site have presentation of models from other brands:<br>

<a href="http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/%7Erd2h-ari/camera_shoukai.htm">http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/%7Erd2h-ari/camera_shoukai.htm</a></p>

<p>Thanks for your comments! It may be a while before I get some images from this Fujica, but if they're up to scratch, I'll post a few.</p>

<p><strong>Jean</strong>, you're quite right. I've never come across the Fujica 35 and there's very little information out there on this model, and I'd really given up on it. However, I'll keep a weather eye cocked....Regarding the 35 ML (F2), I sort of figured one ML version was enough, but then again...Marvellous website, I've always wished there was an English-language version. And thank you for your suggestion, <strong>Yefei</strong>, and I just hope my wife doesn't check out this post, or you could be in dire straits...</p>

<p>Indeed the collection is not quite complete. I think to really collect Japanese cameras you would ideally want to be located in Japan or at least want to be able to get access to Japanese auctions and sellers. Looking around in my local shops there is a whole bunch of vintage Japanese stuff with Fujicas making a common appearance.</p>

<p>As a little correction to your info on the ML from Wiki.<br>

The ML was an upgrade from the M which featured the popular at the time light value system. The M was actually the earliest model released in Sept. '57 and the ML released a year later in Dec. '58.<br>

The site Jean linked does not order the cameras into their actual groups rather bundling them all into a mass Fujica pit. The Fujica 35 series which is what you are collecting has only a few more models according to the Japanese wiki. You are missing the M, ML f2, Auto Magic and FS. Whether that is all there is remains a mystery but I am sure your wallet will be happier in the end ;)</p>

<p>That's a pretty camera, Rick. Beware the Fujica path though, as it's a pretty slippery slope. It's hard to stop once you've started. There are other beauties like the Compact Deluxe, one of my favorite compact rangefinders, and the Compact 35/Compact 35S. Just don't say I didn't warn you...</p>

<p>Thanks, <strong>Chuk</strong>! Do I <em>really</em> need any more! I'd excluded the Auto-Magic and the FS series because they're quite different cameras in terms of body design and construction, and I've commented on the ML F2 and the 35, above. It does sometimes sound as if Japan is a collector's mecca... <strong>Starvey</strong>, this one may not be quite as tidy as the others, but it's about as good as I've seen. I <em>will</em> try to post some pics in the future. Too late, I'm afraid, <strong>Andy</strong>, I'm an avowed Fujica fan. I have the Compact 35S, and the other two <em>would</em> be nice...</p>

• 3 years later...

<p>I read Rick Drawbrige's article about the Final Fujica?. I was going through some boxes my dad left me before he died and found two cameras. One is a Fujica 35-ML. Lens reads (Fujinon 1:28 f=4.5cm, Fuji Photo Film Co.N0.675911) outside lens ring reads (FUJI Syncro MXL) My Dads camera matches Ricks picture of His Fujica. So my question is, how rare is this camera? or is this just the final Fujica in Ricks collection? <br>

Camera 2<br>

35-50mm Argus. aka "The Brick" This camera also seems to be a range finder. Lens reads (3.5 50MM Argus coated Cintar, F3.54, 5.6 8.11.16. (made in the usa) Both cameras appear to be in good condition. <br>

There was a third camera is a box camera and I don't think it is a quality camera. Its a Kodak tourist Camera in its original box. The box has $42.50 written on it in pencil. <br>

Any feed back on these camera's is appreciated. Yes, photo's available if requested.</p>

<p><strong>Doug</strong>, this is a fairly historic thread and you might get more replies if you posted your queries as a fresh post on the CMC Forum. However, from my experience: The 35-ML is not a rare camera, but to find one that's fully operational, in tidy condition and with clean glass is unusual, and one in top condition usually sells for about $90 on the big auction. The Argus Brick is fairly common and prices vary depending on condition and model, usually sub-$50 for an average example. So far as I recall the Tourist was actually a folding camera, Kodak's last bellows camera from the 1950's, and they are usually very cheap and in good supply.</p>

<p>My "Final Fujica" byline was only in reference to my collection; the 35-ML was the earliest in this range of cameras, as I understand it.</p>

<p>Rick, thank you for the Fujica update. I am considering listing it on eBay along with the Argus and the Kodak tourist camera. The real prize was retrieving a roll of film from the Fujica . I have no idea how long it has been hiding in that camera but I am sure I will be surprised when it is developed. I you like, I can send you pictures of the Fujica and or the Brick.</p>

<p> </p>