The Contax RTS Revisited

<p>Released at Photokina 1974 and to the market the following year, the RTS was the result of a heavenly marriage, combining the vast manufacturing capability and electronic expertise of the Japanese Yashica Corporation with the legendary name, optical skills and quality control of Zeiss. Add to that a body designed by the prestigious Porsche group, the only camera designed by that illustrious studio, and photographers had every right to expect something special. And special the RTS was, though there was a certain amount of puffery involved, with much talk of "Real Time" performance, buzz words of the era, describing electrical and electro-magnetic features such as a feather-touch shutter release, and "uncapping of the primary and secondary shutter curtains to provide starting from an identical position", to quote from the manual. Yes, it was still a horizontally-traveling cloth focal-plane shutter; from all accounts Zeiss would have preferred a vertical metal shutter such as the newfangled Copal model, but Yashica's insistence regarding cost restraints and the unproven reliability of the metal shutter won the day.<br /><br />Basically, it's a camera offering a TTL auto-exposure aperture-preference system, or manual. Shutter speeds run from 4 seconds to 1/2000th, with very good damping of vibration from shutter and mirror, using an air-braking system, a feature of the very high build standard. Because of the very sensitive electromagnetic shutter release it proved impossible to have the meter activated by a first pressure on the release button, so a second button was added to the front of the camera. This is actually a big flaw in the design, from my point of view, in that the metering cannot be locked in the "on" position for a real-time display. Apertures are visible via an optical display at the top of the viewfinder, but the selected speeds are indicated by red diodes at the side that come on only when the button is depressed. Yashica's version of this camera, the FR-1, has a sliding catch to lock in the "on" position the swinging needle that indicates selected speeds, thus giving a constant indication, and for this reason I tend to use the FR-1 much more than the RTS. Apart from this, I have no complaints and plenty of praise; it's a beautifully-constructed camera, buttery- smooth in all it's actions and, of course, the Zeiss lenses are beyond reproach.<br /><br />The cognoscenti among you may notice that, in the photograph above, the RTS is actually fitted with a Yashica winder, one of the many interchangeable features between the RTS and the FR-1. I'll post some photographs from the camera; I shot two rolls, one of Arista EDU Ultra 100 using the fine Zeiss Planar 50mm/1.7, and the other a roll of Ilford FP4 Plus using one of my favourite short zooms, the Yashinon MC 42-75mm f/3.5-4.5. The ones from the Planar I'll mark with a "P", and the rest will be from the Yashinon. Both films were developed in PMK Pyro with scans from an Epson V700 using Silverfast SE software.</p><div>00eGGM-566718484.jpg.c7549bb293399329206091408c2744e8.jpg</div>

<p>Rick - nice write-up and great images from a classic.<br>

I always wanted a Contax S2, but they do not come up all that often, and I had the opportunity to buy a 139Q with missing leatherette for a song - naturally, I did! It has some similarities to the RTS, but shares the same quirk of having a separate button on the front to activate the meter display - a little annoying, but one gets used to it after a few frames. I'm a huge Zeiss fan, and the CY-mount lenses are stunning indeed; my CY lens collection is limited to the 28mm and 85mm f2.8 versions, but I've heard great things about many of the others, including the 50mm f1.7 that your RTS is sporting. Is this the lens that you used to make these images?<br>

Raj :)</p>

<p>Very pretty camera and fine results. Like Raj, I always wanted one of the these but never bought it. I played with one many years ago and loved the beautiful fit and finish. The wonderful, and rather expensive, Zeiss lenses were a great draw at the time but also the greatest deterrent to a photographer of modest means already vested into the Canon FD system.</p>

<p>Your continued posting of these interesting cameras is laudable and, frankly, inspiring. No one deserves "Hero" status more. The people that run this website will never acknowledge the years of free content you have provided but I, along with many others, appreciate and enjoy your efforts. Thank you.</p>

<p>I have long thought that the 'Japanese' Contaxes were among the handsomest cameras. I got my 139 Quartz as a cheaper alternative to the RTS, but it's a nice camera, especially with new replacement covering (Japan plastics and synthetics of a certain period were self-destructing).<br>

Bravo again, for your superb work with it.</p>

<p>Nice write-up, as usual! Is that third party replacement body covering? - looks coarser than the self-destructing leatherette that JDM mentions, and I remember from my Yashica FX-D and the later Contax models. The FX-D, incidentally, had a similar non-locking meter button, but kept the LEDs lit for several seconds after it was pressed, which was a pretty good arrangement. Accessory compatibility was retained for some of these later cameras, too - the FX-D could take the 139 winder as well as its own, and I don't think they ever bothered making a Yashica-branded cable switch for the FX-D's remote-release socket (you had to buy the Contax release). I suppose they kept the brands separate for marketing reasons, or at the behest of Zeiss - otherwise the bayonet-mount Yashicas had the same sort of relationship to the Contax gear as the contemporary E-series Nikon kit did to Nikon's mainstream range. The 50/1.7 is a really excellent lens. Must see if my 167MT is still working and take it out for a spin with this and my old Yashica lenses.</p>

<p>Great write-up Rick. The images beautifully reflect your Photographer's Eye. I love my RTS II and it's CZJp lenses, but, like JDM, am dismayed at the now bubbly state of the cover. I have purchased a new cover set but am still reluctant to let my less-than-reliable fingers attempt the job.</p>
Tony Evans

<p>I debated between the RTS and the RX, and ended up with the RX. Wonderful camera as is the RTS. I also tried some of both of the Zeiss lenses as well as the Yashicas, and find that both provide good to excellent results in use. Thanks for reviving interest in this line, which is well deserved but often forgotten. And your shots clearly illustrate the capabilities of some of these lenses. Keep up the good work, as I'm always fascinated with what I learn from your reviews.</p>

<p>Aw shucks, fellas... Many thanks for the kind words. As I'm now at an age where formal study is a thing of the past, the disciplines involved in putting these posts together are enjoyable, and creating them become a reward in themselves, as the erudite J<strong>DM</strong> once pointed out. Please just let me know if they become monotonous or repetitive! Thanks<strong> Louis</strong>, and I will return your compliment by pointing out that I've felt the same about your contributions to Photo.net, over the years.</p>

<p><strong>Richard,</strong> perhaps I over-did the lighting in an attempt to display the texture of the leatherette; to the best of my knowledge the covering is original, and it doesn't appear quite so lumpy in real life. Thank you <strong>Stephen</strong>, <strong>rajmohan</strong> and <strong>Tony</strong>; it's good to get feedback from fine photographers. <strong>Mike</strong>, I have a cable remote that I use in the studio, but a wireless one <em>would</em> be nice.</p>

<p>It's a GREAT camera but the 1st gen electronics are often un-repairable without electronic replacement parts. My tech, a former Yashica/Contax repair tech doesn't even try anymore. My RTS III had to be sent to Japan where my tech knew there were some few parts available. It took months. Just took out my RTSIII the other day with Tech Pan film. It's a great camera and I love the UI.</p>

<p>It's a heavy monster though (the III is heavier than the I or II). The lenses are heavy too. I need a waist/strap combo to carry them around these days.</p>

<p>Nice camera/lens and very nice results. Never owned a Contax SLR, but have owned a few rangefinder Contax cameras. I had a real sweet-like new Contax IIa color dial with the coated 50mm f2 Sonnar that I let somebody talk me out of for a very good profit. I still regret letting it go. There are some things money can't buy and that camera should have been one of them. I've also owned several IIIa's, but never got along with those very well. All I have now is two Cantax G1's and three lenses. Very good outfit, but not like the old cameras. There is just something about Zeiss glass that is unexplainable. <br>

John</p>

The two things that were "important" in my mind were the "user interface" (how the buttons and dials were designed) and

the lenses. This camera was a true pleasure to use and the lenses were of course first rate. I really wish mine still worked

or was fixable. My RTS III has all those features too but is much heavier (more of a studio camera). I have a Contax Aria

and it doesn't have the feel of quality but it's light and it still works and the user interface is almost as good.

<p>I am intrigued with the RTS cameras but so far have resisted the temptation to get one. My three overhauled Yashica FX-3 bodies allow me to use my Yashica ML, MC and YUS lenses as well as my one Zeiss lens, a 35/2.8 AEJ. My main concern is that an RTS will work for a while, stop working and then not be repairable. I have a working FX-3 Super 2000 but I don't think that model is as well made as the earlier FX-3. I have an FX-7 waiting for an overhaul. When I have that done I will use a nice gray covering material I found. I have what appears to be a working FX-107. What about the FR cameras? I hope the winder is better than the cameras. I find the FR cameras to be very poorly made. If you have one which works I'm sure it could produce good results. My main complaint against these cameras is the weak winding mechanism. I would not rule out getting more of the Zeiss lenses. I have a number of third party lenses which I enjoy using on the Yashicas. These include the 100/3.5 Vivitar Macro, 50/2.8 Sigma Macro (2 of these), 28/2 Kiron, 35/2.8 Super Paragon (made by Tokina?), 28-85/2.8-3.8 Vivitar Auto Variable Focusing, Tamron 24/2.5 01B and 01BB, Tamron SP 90/2.5 Macro 52B and 52BB, Tamron 200/3.5 Adaptall II and 300/5.6 Tamron SP. Earlier this year a gentleman at our monthly camera showed me his 55/2.8 Vivitar Macro. It was on a Contax RTS III. It would be nice to have that lens too. With adapters I can also use M42 lenses which have an A/M switch, Vivitar TX lenses and plain T mount lenses. </p>