Sunday Bazaar at BVKI Road, Bangalore.

<p>I bought this little Exa [possibly 1956] from Ebay US for abour $7. It came stripped down bare, with no leatherette covering. I was assured all other things were functional; they were. It needed some cleaning and restoration. Did that with Automobile upholstery vinyl. One Square Metre of this material costs about US$2. One can cover more than 10 cameras with that. Net cost for this camera was less than $ 0.50, including adhesive.<br>

I went to the Old Town again today and got off on a street parallel to Avenue Road [posted last week]. It is known as BVK I Road, just one part of it. Another part is known as ASC Road. All these are initials for long winded names that many find difficult to pronounce.<br /><br />Was surprised to find that they had a weekly trade fair [much like the rural ones] on the street. Shop owners as well as free traders from other places had set up stalls on either side of the road. They were selling everything from recycled scrap and hand tools to traditional utensils and modern appliances. <br /><br />Only things missing were the goats, sheep and cattle that one would find in the rural fair; it is called a “Sandhai” in Tamil [meaning a gathering of traders and buyers. The Officialdom anglicized the word into “Shandy” [not in anyway related to Beer & Lemonade!]. Of course, the bargaining under the towel with fingers was missing. I was amused to find that as a universal practice even in the US and Canada related to livestock trade.<br /><br />The experience was fantastic; a big crowd of sellers, buyers and simple on-lookers all relaxed and enjoying themselves. I tried out the Exa with a Meritar lens. Here are some samples.<br /><br /></p><div>00Y7uu-326747584.JPG.c159dae7688ff9d9705c9f6ce2447245.JPG</div>

<p>See those shock absorbers? They recondition old ones manually by opening the flange and seal. They refill with more viscous oil, put in a new rubber seal and bend the flange back to shape. They do all this by hand usually in small shop run by a single person. When I had an old Willys Jeep I had bought re-built shock absorbers and fitted them. They lasted more than 3 years when I sold the Jeep.</p><div>00Y7w7-326783584.jpg.6a3068e3c217075653177c6ca283db95.jpg</div>

<p>I hope it was interesting to you. I enjoyed trying out the Exa especially in this context. I was confronted by an old retired photographer; he looked at my Exa and exclaimed "my..why...that is an old camera!" I said "yes sir! I am too." So he told me how he used to run a photo studio years ago and still has so many Rollieflexes and Rolliecords at home. His son is a Neuro-Surgeon and his daughter, a software engineer and that he has retired. It was an enjoyable Sunday.<br>

I hope you enjoy the pictures; thanks for viewing and your comments. Regards, sp.</p>

I have to agree that auto-vinyl looks great on the Exa. I missed one a few days ago They were consolidating all the film goods to make place dor 2nd hand digital and were making everything flat, so 50,00€ ,30,00€ 10,00€.

I happened along as they were lifting the goods and making the sign. I had an interview which I knew wouldn't take more than 30 minutes.. I figured I had time- Nope gone when I came back for 10,00€ an Exa 1b. I do already have one, and like you prefer to use the very bright waist level finder. My prism isn't too bright! I also would rate for ergonomics A1. It's so refreshing to see capitalism alive and well!! Sure pays to go the less traveled route eh? Thanks for an interesting look!

<p>Fine job on the Exa, <strong>SP</strong>; a quality camera at an infinitesimal price, thanks to your ingenuity! We occasionally have these street markets, but not with the huge variety of goods on offer in yours. You've captured the hustle and bustle perfectly. These pics seem a little poorer in graduation than your last series, under-exposure aside. Was it just a harsh light, or have you altered your brew?<br>

Thanks for another fine series.</p>