Spur HRX Developer

Hi All,

Just wanted to see if anyone has had any good success using this developer. I recently bought some to use with Rollei 80s to 'tone down the contrast' a bit. I understand that you need to rate the film a bit lower when using this developer. It's much different than what I usually use, Rodinal, D76, Microphen, HC-110, and DDX.

Let me know your thoughts!

My "standard" developing for Rollei 80s (rated at 50asa) is 3ml of Rodinal in 450ml of DI. Semi-stand developing for 30min. 3 min presoak with DI. Constant (but gentle) agitation for 30sec after developer is in the tank. (1) Over n Up inversion @ 2min, 5min, 10min, 20min & out at 30min. Standard processing after that. . .just use a non-acid fixer. I have tried the SPUR developer & it has not shown me anything that the Rodinal lacks. If you want to walk on the wild side, Coffenol also produces some fine results. Aloha, Bill

1494327657_StEmilliona.thumb.jpg.1ecc37390189716878be289f298f05cb.jpg

My "standard" developing for Rollei 80s (rated at 50asa) is 3ml of Rodinal in 450ml of DI. Semi-stand developing for 30min. 3 min presoak with DI. Constant (but gentle) agitation for 30sec after developer is in the tank. (1) Over n Up inversion @ 2min, 5min, 10min, 20min & out at 30min. Standard processing after that. . .just use a non-acid fixer. I have tried the SPUR developer & it has not shown me anything that the Rodinal lacks. If you want to walk on the wild side, Coffenol also produces some fine results. Aloha, Bill

I agree with Bill. My own developer for this film is Rodinal 1ml plus 1ml of HC-110 syrup in 250ml water. HC-110 has an excellent buffer system in it and fixes the pH at 8.8 despite the high dilution which is not possible with Rodinal alone.

I haven't used any R80s for ages now. I use Rodinal or HC110 for most things, and never got rid of the blown highlights with either of them. Though I was pleased with some of my pictures anyway, and I was grateful then to have a choice of two 127 films instead of just one, I gave up on it, rather than start buying more expensive developers just for this film.

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the input- I will try this exact method this weekend. Now I need to find a use for this Spur HRX that I purchased. :)