Speed Carrier negative carrier

tom_choate

<p>I spotted a Speed Carrier Enlarger Negative Carrier System for a Omega D on the big auction site. I've done a search on it , and came up empty. Is this negative carrier system worth while ? It handles from a 35mm up to 4 x 5 negatives. really the only one I need is a 6 x 7 .Has anyone experience with this ? The same seller has a Negative carrier mask set--whats the difference between the two, if any? thanks--tom<br>

<strong><strong id="mainContent">

<h1 ></h1>

</strong></strong></p>

<p>Tom, I've heard of the speed carrier system, but don't know how it works. I do know the mask is not the same thing. The mask is used to crop down around the area being printed in order to reduce stray light. It is used with another carrier, not in place of one.</p>

<p>I think you're referring to the Corwen speed carrier system. I've picked up a few of these carriers from Ebay for my Omega D2V. Basically they consist of a frame that fits in the enlarger and stays fixed (for a given negative size). Then there is the negative holder that, in the case of roll film, holds a strip of film. To go from one picture to the next you just slide the carrier. This is fast in that you get the same negative alignment of subsequent pictures and don't have to reposition the easel, etc. Kramer, who used to write a column for one of the photo mags (Popular Photography?), used to use this system in his home darkroom. The system isn't made anymore. When available it was very expensive.</p>

• 1 year later...

<p>The Carlwin carriers were made of some sort of composite (partly fiberglass?) - and came with aluminium cassettes which held strips of film. There is also a Speed Carrier made in San Francisco - which was built much heavier (all anodized aluminium) - and had larger single negative cassettes. I have several of these (they fit loosely into my DeVere 504) - I don't think mine were made for the Devere (probably will fit better into a Beseler 45 or Omega.</p>

<p>Hope this helps.</p><div>00aIy7-460329584.thumb.jpg.48a204762833468241fd53cded005128.jpg</div>