Small but Significant : The Duo Tamron

<p>Manufactured in 1958, this tiny 135mm lens has the distinction of being the first to bear the "Tamron" name. Taisei Optical Industries had been manufacturing lenses since the company was formed in 1952, and Tamron was registered as a trademark in 1958, the company changing it's name to Tamron Co. Ltd in 1970. The Duo-Tamron appeared under a variety of names, including Tamron Twin-Tele, Converto-Tamron, and also branded for other suppliers, sometimes in a straight metallic finish. The lens is also a very early example, if not the first, of a lens supplied with a matching tele-converter; the Duo-Tamron is basically a 135mm f/4.5 pre-set lens, and with the addition of the converter the lens becomes a 225mm f/7.7 . </p><div>00a2Uq-444009884.jpg.30d2f54b5c02b0bda7115070b535e912.jpg</div>

<p>Beautifully packed in a two-compartment leather case, the lens comes with Exacta and M42 mounts to attach to the lens's 37mm base, rather after the fashion of an early T mount. The converter, which appears to consist of two elements, comes with it's own little caps and packs inside the enamelled lens hood in the top portion of the case.The mounts and main lens fit into the bottom portion. All components and caps are present with this copy, rather a rare occurrence. </p>

<p>It's a very small lens indeed, and I put the film in the photograph to give some scale. Construction and finish of all the components is to a high standard; the aperture rings were very stiff when the lens arrived but with exercise they loosened up and became obligingly smooth, as is the focus. Here's a copy of the instructions, somewhat faded and worn.</p><div>00a2Us-444011584.jpg.2097a8bd1beec2daf5f87d2acb17f03d.jpg</div>

<p>I'll admit that my expectations were not high when it came time to put the lens through it's paces, but I was very pleasantly surprised. Without the converter, the lens is usable wide open, but stopped down past f/5.6 it becomes very sharp indeed, with one of the smoothest bokehs imaginable. With the converter attached, it's woeful at full aperture, but at f/11 it suddenly becomes tack-sharp, with the fine bokeh still in evidence.</p>

<p> In good light it's a very pleasant lens to use, with very little in the way of distortion or CA's, and the resulting images encourage me to put it to serious use. While it's miniscular size gives it a toy-like appearance, it's performance puts it up there with the big guns. See what <em>you</em> think.</p><div>00a2Uu-444011684.jpg.2af791f8999b24e7838acbd7ac060d83.jpg</div>

<p>A few years back I bought a box of various gear to get a couple of items. The tele-converter (but not the 135mm lens) was among a couple of pieces I couldn't identify so I donated it and a few other items I wouldn't use to Goodwill. Thanks for solving the mystery! Your photos are excellent. That dahlia just pops with color!</p>

<p>Thanks for the tour and sample shots Rick. I've had one of these for a few years but although mine came with the case the Nikon adapter and hood with its adapter were missing. I have no M42 mount camera and so have only been able to use it adapted to my Pen F or a E-410 and couldn't judge full frame performance. The front filter size is some weird non-standard thread, never been able to find any size that fits. Might have to pick up a M42 body just try it out along with a couple of Super Takumars that followed me home one day from a camera fair. Don't know why I keep getting lenses in a mount I don't have a body for, strange.</p>

<p>I've frequently been pleasantly surprised by some of the Tamrons, and yours certainly cuts the mustard! Good shots like yours define real world testing much better than MTF shots! Out of curiosity, what body were you using, an Exakta or M42 mount - digital or film?</p>

<p>I really enjoy the mood and feel of "Ivy" and "HIghlight". A little bit mysterious. The lens reminds me of a Zebra stripe carl Zeiss Jena for Exaktas. Lenses from that era up until the AF age are marvels of industrial design and manufacture. It's cool Tamron made this one to be used on M42 or Exakta cameras. People were certainly more value minded back then. Good comps with the 135mm. I've never been comfortable with that focal length. Your images are excellent. Thanks for a fun post on a rare gem.</p>

<p>My copy of this lens is marked Duo Tamron. I have the teleconverter and possibly the hood but I do not have the nice case. The lens is slow enough that I would use it on a Minolta X-700 or Canon F-1 with a grid or plain matte screen. For the Canon I would use an L screen. I must have used the lens a few times. I have many 135s so the novelty of this lens for me is the small size. </p>