Small but Significant : The Duo Tamron

<p>Rick,</p>

<p>Another interesting post with a fine set of pictures. I really like Dandylove.</p>

<p>I didn't realize that Tamron made lenses at such an early date. It is a really interesting design. In the US it was imported by Photographic Importing & Distributing Corporation. They also distributed Sun and Accura lenses and accessories.</p>

<p>The only Tamron ads I found from this time period, 1959-60, were the Tamron 4x Converter and the Tamron 400mm F/7.5.</p>

<p>I did find an interesting lens test in the Oct. 1959 issue of Modern Photography. It shows the dangers of just reading lens test and not trying a lens with various setting. They found the lens needed to be stopped down quite a bit to get the best performance. If one used that recommendation one would miss the wonderful out-of-focus performance of this lens. This is why your examples are so important.</p>

<p>Here is the lens test.</p><div>00a2kM-444233684.jpg.e4ebfcbf98d6f471b7c631504fa08c39.jpg</div>

<p>Thanks for your responses; I'm pleased the lens created some interest. <strong>Marc</strong>, thanks for your customary additions; it's amazing how you turn up with these old ads. And 'Dandelove' is my favourite, too. Thanks <strong>Gene</strong>, <em>I</em> owe <em>you</em> a few smiles...I'm a great fan of the 135mm focal length,<strong> Russ</strong>, but you have to develop a sort of long-sight, to make the most of it.</p>

<p>Great to have you commenting again,<strong> SP</strong>; as you, <strong>Russ</strong> and <strong>Starvy</strong> noted, it looks more like a European lens than an early Japanese. The images were from a full-frame Canon DSLR using the M42 adapter, <strong>Stephen</strong>; as you've observed, there's just so much more to a len's performance than the clinical facts of a laboratory testing. It's pretty much your style of lens, I suspect, <strong>Louis</strong>...You two have experienced what I have , <strong>Dan</strong> and <strong>John</strong>; parts of the system turn up, but only rarely does the complete kit come along.</p>

<p>You're right, <strong>Jeff, </strong>it really is tiny, to the point of looking a little ludicrous, mounted on the big Canons. And thank <strong>JDM</strong>, <strong>Chuck</strong> and <strong>Mike</strong> for your customary support.</p>

<p>Rick, sorry Im so late to the party on this one. Another very nice write up with wonderful photos to illustrate what the lens (and photographer!) is capable of. I was not aware that any such animal as this one existed. And I thought my Steinheil Munchen 135/2.8 was tiny. :) Its interesting to see that Tamron was obviously thinking about this stuff early on, like how to make a single lens fit many cameras. Its also very nice to see a little slice of corporate history from the CMC era. Thanks for the historical tidbits you put in your write up.</p>

<p>The dahlia is simply stunning by the way.</p>

<p>I seem to remember obtaining one of these a few years back and just tossing it to one side and thinking that it would be c@#p, it seems that am wrong again!<br>

That is a very smooth OOF, one of the best that I have seem, and your shots look great, the135mm pesrpective is really pleasing. Thanks for the interesting post.</p>

<p><strong>David</strong>, the interesting guests always arrive late... It's nice to know that a little of the background stuff that interests me is appreciated by others. I'll convey your compliments to the dahlia...Thanks, <strong>Tony</strong>; as I pointed out, I was a little surprised by the quality of the results, having suspected that the lens was a bit of a toy. The OOF planes in "Dandelove" are approaching my concept of ideal...</p>

<p>Thanks <strong>Marc</strong>; I've seen several comments suggesting that the IQ from the later f/2.8 version left much to be desired at the wider apertures. It's obviously quite a different beast from the earlier Converto/Duo, but it's certainly interesting to realise that Tamron persisted with the concept. Apparently the earlier version I featured was quite a commercial success for the company.</p>