Selling first born to fund purchase of M9

As the heading says, I think I have sell my first born to fund the recent order of a leica M9-P, anyhow enough of that, the order will

take 6 months! Seems along time to wait (the time is mostly for the lenses). I would love some advice on the best way to settle into

the new camera when it arrives since I have not shot with a rangefinder before, tips and advice to get the best out of it would be

great. Cheers Richard.

<p>Be sure to deliver and get the money for the kid fast, as we all Leica users know, their prices go down as they grow up...<br>

Regarding the M9-P, I am sure you will find the rangefinder very user friendly, just play with it a lot. After a while, using a reflex feels kind of funny....At least to me.</p>

<p>I'm just wondering why you decided to buy a M9 when you have no previous rangefinder experience. Most people showing an interest in rangefinders are usually told to buy something like a $100 Canonet to see if they like the rangefinder experience which is not bad advice for you since you have to wait 6 months. Shooting with a rangefinder is different. You may like it or hate it, but the only way to find out is to try it.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"I have not shot with a rangefinder before" <em><strong>RJE</strong></em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>You can't be serious, <strong>really?</strong> Not even a Canon QL17 or a Minolta AL-F ?</p>

<p>This may be an exaggeration & I'm sorry, but that's about as wise as giving your 17 year old son a Ferrari for his first car.</p>

<p>It is different because it is an $8000 camera. How much are you spending on the lenses? A few Leica lenses and you're easily over $10000. Were any of your other purchases that much all at once?</p>

<p>Your subject line is about selling your first born implying that you don't really have the money but later you say you're older possibly implying that you have plenty of savings to splurge on yourself.</p>

<p>If you have the money then do whatever you want but if you don't I think it is crazy to not get a cheap film rangefinder first and make sure you like the concept and operation of shooting with a rangefinder.</p>

<p>I have 2 rangefinders and 4 lenses and I reach for my Nikon DSLRs 95% of the time. A rangefinder is not an all purpose camera like an SLR. No macro, no super telephoto, no DOF preview, auxiliary finders for wide angles, lack of autofocus and multiple fps. On the other hand it's small, quiet, and the ability to see outside the frame is great.</p>

<p>Well why not? If you are going to get into RF photography get the best, if you can afford it. I sense that Richard really doesn't have to make the Abrahamic sacrifice to get his M9-P. I must say that it does not take much strain to get into using an RF. If one has grown up with manual focus cameras it will be a snap. </p>

<p>You can practice by standing in front of a telephone pole and crossing your eyes until you see two of them. Then uncross your eyes until you see one telephone pole again. Voila, that is how to focus a rangefinder. It's not rocket science. The focusing is the easy part -- it's the visualization of depth of field and framing that is harder...but still, it comes pretty quickly. Even more quickly if you mostly stick to one lens. If you have shot 4x5, you probably have enough photographic experience and technical ability that conquering these minor hurdles is not really a big deal. So I would say enjoy your M9, it's superb camera. If it does not work for you, the resale values for the camera and the lenses are very high, so while you would lose some money, it is likely to be a smaller proportion than you would with most other camera systems.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I would love some advice on the best way to settle into the new camera when it arrives since I have not shot with a rangefinder before, tips and advice to get the best out of it would be great.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It takes some practice to focus, but it is faster than 4x5.</p>

<blockquote>

<p> The focusing is the easy part -- it's the visualization of depth of field and framing that is harder...but still, it comes pretty quickly</p>

</blockquote>

<p>+1</p>

<p>David, I ordered the F1.4 50mm Summilux, and teh f1.4 35mm Summilux.<br>

James - I will read the review. ( I posted a while back to see what PN members opinions were based on knowledge of having used one, the responces were very positive. I also met a man in my home town who demonstarted his, he loved it.)<br>

John - I dont think I will get enough from my first born, he is 25 year old vintage model shows a lot of sign of wear, and is also quite tempromental.<br>

Benjamin Hugh and Stuart, I wil take your advice and shoot shoot shoot until i become froficient with it.</p>

<p>Just out of curiosity, how old of a man are you? I am about to turn 47 and would like a benchmark to hit when I decide to splurge on myself. <br>

I don't envy the camera as much as your choice of lenses. <br>

6 months is a long time to wait. The anticipation would be too much to bear. What to do? Go with the above advice and get yourself a film Leica (get the M6) with any exotic wide angle lens. You will then have 6 months to enjoy the smooth operation, the focusing, ect...This is the hor d'oeuvre before the main course.<br>

K.</p>

<blockquote>

<p> My problem is who wants a 35 year old first born?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I might be interested......male or female?</p>

<p>Great camera, congrats. I too second the idea of starting with a film body, like an M6. You never know, you may not even feel the need to try out the M9 after that.</p>