SB-910 Battery Door stuck

Mary Doo

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slight taps with a rubber mallet might be sufficient to loosen the corrosion residue so that the battery door can be opened. It appears (Nikon SB-900 door repair) that removing the battery door involves splitting the main casing (four screws to be removed around the hot shoe and 2 or 4 under the rotating flash head; not sure how easy it then is to pry the casing apart) - discharge the capacitor before attempting to open the case (heed Shun's advice in the link provided).
  • Like 1

Mary, Sorry for your pain. White vinegar has and would be my first choice used in the manner mentioned previously. The batteries may have leaked behind the contacts so be careful removing them. I would work them out slowly. After you have removed the batteries you may have to clean the compartment with white vinegar and a swab. After that is done I would recommend polishing the contacts with very very fine sand paper. I would clean the inside with CRC electrical contact cleaner and protectant from Amazon, Lowes or Home Depot to help displace and or wash out any crud that is left behind. CRC notes that their product is compatible with plastic for what it's worth. I have used their products for a over 20 years. The SB 910 battery compartment uses spring metal tabs on both ends. My guess is that they are probably nickel plated. Even after cleaning with vinegar my experience has been that the contact surfaces will will retain a non conducting surface so you need to polish them. Once polished with sand paper on the end of a pencil eraser you should have good conduction. I would retest it and spray it again with protectant and let it dry. I hope this doesn't sound too preachy but if you can avoid them all together, stop using alkaline batteries. Go with lithium or rechargeable. I greatly prefer the slow discharge eneloop brand that is now owned by Panasonic that thankfully still manufactures their batteries in Japan where there is a tradition of quality control. I have owned hundreds of NiCad and NMH batteries and never once had a leak and the eneloop batteries have held up the best over time. The Eveready rechargeable batteries that you get at the drug store are not very good and I would not recommend them. Good hunting.
  • Like 1

One other thought. Some battery manufacturers guarantee their batteries against leakage to the point of paying for repair or replacement of the damaged equipment.

Here is a quote from Duracell:

"

Duracell Battery Guarantee

If not completely satisfied with your Duracell battery product, call 1-800-551-2355 (9:00AM – 5:00PM EST). Duracell guarantees its batteries against defects in materials and workmanship. Should any device be damaged due to a battery defect, we will repair or replace it at our option. Leaking battery and damaged device must be provided as proof of claim. Duracell may deny claims of damage caused by misuse or modification of the batteries or device."

I am sure Everready does the same

Edited by bgelfand
  • Like 1

One other thought. Some battery manufacturers guarantee their batteries against leakage to the point of paying for repair or replacement of the damaged equipment.

Here is a quote from Duracell:

"

Duracell Battery Guarantee

If not completely satisfied with your Duracell battery product, call 1-800-551-2355 (9:00AM – 5:00PM EST). Duracell guarantees its batteries against defects in materials and workmanship. Should any device be damaged due to a battery defect, we will repair or replace it at our option. Leaking battery and damaged device must be provided as proof of claim. Duracell may deny claims of damage caused by misuse or modification of the batteries or device."

I am sure Everready does the same

Interesting... I believe that batteries are Duracell - but can't open the door to see it now. LOL!

I think a call to the Duracell 800 number would be in order.

Thanks for the reminder. I just had a nice conversation with the Duracell rep. She will send me forms to fill and a prepaid envelope for the flash.

Learned a few things: She said Duracell batteries are designed to leak if exposed to high and low's beyond room temperature, so they would not explode. She said she asks for the return of the flash due to its cost, otherwise she would settle to send me $75.00. She asked for the type of Duracell and how long I had left the batteries in the flash without using it (maybe a year(?). I told her I had done similar things with flashes and never had a problem; hence did not think to take it out; and that, due to this incident, I have taken out the batteries from my other flashes.

Thanks folks.

And let us hope that when they open the flash they find Duracell batteries inside and not the "Energizer Bunny" <grin>

:eek: Truthfully I worried a bit about this, when I was talking with her, because I used to use those lithium (non Duracell) batteries before switching to Duracell. Hmm... should I try vinegar to open the door?...

Re resolution - she said the forms would arrive within 15 days. Then we'll go from there. Will definitely keep you posted.

:eek: Truthfully I worried a bit about this, when I was talking with her, because I used to use those lithium (non Duracell) batteries before switching to Duracell. Hmm... should I try vinegar to open the door?...

I recommend you do nothing but send the SB-910 to Duracell as is. AFAK, Lithium batteries do not leak. And, according to Google, (and Google is NEVER wrong), if they do Energizer will replace your flash.

Re resolution - she said the forms would arrive within 15 days. Then we'll go from there. Will definitely keep you posted.

I look forward to hearing the resolution as I am sure are others on this board - a fact you may "diplomatically" inform Duracell of if appropriate. Of course their resolving this problem fairly and quickly will net them much good will from readers of this thread.

• Like 1

The only alkaline batteries that I've had leak and ruin a piece of kit (only a pair of radio triggers luckily) have been ones made by that annoying bunny.

I now exclusively use rechargeables or Kodak Extralife cells.

FWIW, I don't think vinegar does any better than plain water at removing the blue-green leakage goo from alkaline cells. The problem is that the leaked electrolyte has already neutralised itself and turned into a salt by eating any copper or brass metal it can find - I.e. the battery contacts.

Adding an acid into the mix isn't a good idea IMO, and just water and elbow-grease are required to remove the corrosion. However, the damage to the battery contacts and springs will already have been done. IME, once the nickel or chrome plating has been eaten off the battery contacts, they'll give trouble ever after. Repair and replacement of any affected components is the only long-term solution.

• Like 1

Duracell batteries are designed to leak if exposed to high and low's beyond room temperature, so they would not explode.

That's reassuring - NOT!

And also sounds like complete BS. I'm pretty sure that 'leakproof' used to feature quite heavily in the hype for Duracell's overpriced batteries.

Since 'room temperature' is a pretty small range compared to what you might expect professional equipment to encounter, that's not much of a guarantee. So good luck in your dealings with Duracell. I have a feeling you might need it

• Like 1

Mary, the potassium hydroxide that leaks out of alkaline cells is quite caustic so be sure to wear latex free gloves and eye protection. The Sb 910 I have cost me a pretty penny. I wish you luck with yours and what ever course you take. Hopefully the battery company will come through for you if you go that route. Mr. bgelfand 's advice to do nothing but send it to Duracell is probably the most intelligent advice so far. Good luck.
  • Like 1

Since 'room temperature' is a pretty small range compared to what you might expect professional equipment to encounter, that's not much of a guarantee. So good luck in your dealings with Duracell. I have a feeling you might need it

Oh did I say "[she said] beyond room temperature"? No, that was my fake news. :( I believe she said "extreme temperatures" and I mindlessly said "non-room temperature" and that's not an accurate characterization of what she said. Think everyone would be hopping mad if the Duracell is so reliable that it leaks every time when it is not in a "room". :D

<< So good luck in your dealings with Duracell. I have a feeling you might need it >>

Oh thanks Rodeo. I am naturally optimistic - until proven to the contrary. :)

• 4 weeks later...

OTE="bgelfand, post: 5734156, member: 437145"]Hi Mary, Please let us know what the final resolution to the problem is. And let us hope that when they open the flash they find Duracell batteries inside and not the "Energizer Bunny" <grin>

Mary, the potassium hydroxide that leaks out of alkaline cells is quite caustic so be sure to wear latex free gloves and eye protection. The Sb 910 I have cost me a pretty penny. I wish you luck with yours and what ever course you take. Hopefully the battery company will come through for you if you go that route. Mr. bgelfand 's advice to do nothing but send it to Duracell is probably the most intelligent advice so far. Good luck.

Good news! Just received a 2-page letter from Duracell's Consumer Relations, While not admitting liability, they have decided to compensate $400 for the loss - the amount I derived from B&H - $395 at that time, but they seem to have sold it since because I can't find it now, and there's one at a lower price.

And yes, the batteries inside the flash must have been Duracell and not Energy Bunnies! :) I am attaching both pages for your reference, in case there is some interest. The 2nd page is about proper care of batteries.

( See next post for the letters. )

Thank you! This forum did it again!

Edited by Mary Doo
  • Like 1

So while Duracell didn't do anything wrong at all, out of the goodness of their heart, they are giving you $400. What is bunch of baloney.

I have a pair of Bose headphones that use one AAA battery. I usually store a couple of spare batteries in the case for the headphones. This morning, I opened the case for the first time in like 3 weeks, and one Duracell AAA had started leaking a bit. Fortunately that battery is outside of the headphone.

I guess it is important to take the batteries out when the item is not used for a while.

• Like 2

So while Duracell didn't do anything wrong at all, out of the goodness of their heart, they are giving you $400. What is bunch of baloney.

Not baloney but a product of living in our litigious society. Duracell compensated Mary without admitting legal liability.

When is the last time you heard of Nikon say it was "impact damage" but we will compensate you? Hint, don't hold your breath. ;)

• Like 1

Good news! Just received a 2-page letter from Duracell's Consumer Relations, While not admitting liability, they have decided to compensate $400 for the loss - the amount I derived from B&H - $395 at that time, but they seem to have sold it since because I can't find it now, and there's one at a lower price.

There are several at KEH in that price range. KEH is a very reputable firm; I purchased my SB-800 from them (as well as a lens).

Nikon SB-910 I-TTL Speedlight Flash [GN111, 35mm] {Bounce, Swivel, Zoom} at KEH Camera

• Like 1

There are plenty of reports that Nikon repair has over-used (abuse??) the “impact damage” excuse. I assume there must be some truth in that. However the last two times I had lenses repaired, I had indeed dropped them, and I think Nikon’s repair cost was quite reasonable both times. There was one other time when it wasn’t reasonable, and I declined repair.

To balance that, there are also same cases where items were a couple of months out of warranty, and Nikon would honor the warranty anyway.

Concerned the flash, would Mary consider an SB-5000? It is not as huge as the SB-910 but costs more. It also has a built-in cooling fan.

• Like 1