Rules for Casual Photo Conversations

is there a list of rules for what and what is not allowed to be discussed here? I don't see one

According to some, apparently the following are off limits:

1. Discussing the prices of film or processing

2. Discussing anything related to film

3. Discussing any technical aspects of photography

4. Discussing Ansel Adams or any other respected photographer

Can someone please clear this up? I'd appreciate it, and I'd also appreciate a definitive ruling from a moderator on what is and is not allowed.

There are no posted rules for Casual Conversation - my opinion is that in that case, it defaults to the Terms of Use. Terms of use can be found by clicking on the Photonet logo upper left and going to the opening page (if you don't start there) and scrolling to the bottom, then selecting Terms of Use. I do not believe that any of the subjects Ben mentioned are forbidden. Moderators with longer tenure than mine will possibly be able to shed more light on the subject.

. . . is there a list of rules for what and what is not allowed to be discussed here? I don't see one.

appreciate a definitive ruling from a moderator on what is and is not allowed.

This Forum was created to allow discussion of Photography related topics that may not be best suited to the other specific Forums.

By the nature of the Forum's Title ("Casual") and the breadth of its initiating Brief (described above), this Forum is allowed a wider berth of topic and content than the other, more specific Forums.

The same Terms and Conditions and User Guidelines apply to this forum, as any other.

Moderators are charged with applying those rules and conditions and each case is taken on its merits and in the context of those comments and the comments within the thread - hence a definitive list of what is and is not allowed, can be simple summarized by:

1. Discussion Photography related and an aspect of Photography as the theme.

2. Content will abide by the T&C and User Guidelines.

A few other reminders while we are on the general topic of what is what:

Moderators can and do move discussions between forums, when the discussion is deemed better suited to another forum.

Moderators actions are not to be discussed in Forum Threads.

It's probably a good idea to remember that Humour is a funny character.

Not all people see humour the same way: as one example, I read posts 5, 6, 8, 10 and 11 as not targeted and simply humour based.

All those comments made me giggle to some extent or other: yet I appreciate others might not see the same humour as I.

On the other hand, for those who have an humous nature, it's probably good to remember that using humour for the sole purpose of causing a conversation to go sideways is not a good idea.

In the end, 99% of the active members here essentially want to discuss stuff in a civil manner, even though they might not always agree on the boundaries: PN does and has provided a pretty safe haven for adult discussion, whilst allowing strong views and opinions.

In any case the first section answers the Opening Post, and also Sandy's request.

This conversation is now closed.

William

• Like 1