Rodinal?

andrew1

I've read conflicting reports about the death and possible return of Agfa. And I keep reading posts

from users of Rodinal. So what's the deal? Can I still get

Rodinal cheaply and reliably anywhere in the U.S.? Will I be able to soon? Or are folks just talking

about using old supply acquired before Agfa went belly-up? <p>Also, can anybody comment on

other

(non-Agfa) Rodinal formulas, such as the "09" version offered on JandC, or Photo Formulary's

version? How about home-brewed? How do these compare to the Agfa version I got to know so

well (and am running out of)? Who has the dirt on my favorite developer? Thanks.

Para-rodinal©, the home-brew version made from paracetamol (acetominophen), looks and tastes just like the real thing!

Seriously, I've brewed quite a few batches of this stuff now, in order to refine the process, and the results are pretty much indistinguishable from genuine Agfa Rodinal. Plus the home-brew version costs about one-tenth of the price of it's commercial counterpart.

See previous threads on the topic of home-brew Rodinal, or search for keywords "Acetominophen" and "Rodinal".

Here is the (new) manufacturer (Well same plant, only another name):

http://www.ao-imaging-solutions.com/shop/index.php?cat=c32_B-W-film.html&XTCsid=57a99dd585f4a2bf4ee0ef4f2baf5296

Alternatives are R09 (Calbe); Fomadon R09 (Foma) and the photo formulary version. Adox is also R09 Calbe.

Here in Europe we had a price increase of about 25% on the old Rodinal prices.

Agfa Rodinal is apparently available from Freestyle Photo in Los Angeles and at reasonable prices, along with a lot of other good stuff such as Clayton and Formulary chemicals. Probably not as cheap as before but get used to that-- the world has changed.

The Agfa badged stuff is legendary-- good results and extremely stable, unlike XTOL. I'm sure a well stocked photo department will have Rodinal as well, but those stores are becoming rare as well. However, a large college/university with photography program will often have its supplies available in a local store. So look for one of those in your neighborhood.

Some things can not be killed by the death of the body. Rodinal and Charo. In 1 form or another it will be around... Freestyle recently droped the price so I figure there is a dookie load around.. I know the 4 bottles I have will last a long time I love it at 1-100 and even 1-200 for stand developement. I am playing with a mixture of it and HC-110 to push film to speeds that will make the old Recording film look fun.

Larry<div>00HxvH-32237284.thumb.jpg.dec0c3d3bf0c5ec529500dbcbf95aa09.jpg</div>