Right Angle Viewer for Z6?

Mary Doo

Nikon (and others) change something just 'cos they can.... like the Minolta/Sony hot-shoe.

"just 'cos they can...." or just 'cos they can make more money that way"?

Anyway, for the Z6 Z7 series there is te DK-29 eyecup which looks very different from the DSLR eyecups (search for DK-29 and you know what i try to say here...

Edited by c.p.m._van_het_kaar
  • Like 1

1042094124.jpg.16f64fbd0e3e5212d733b201f8279d99.jpg Maybe someone with a Z series, could take a snap of the eyepiece without the rubbery cover?

EDIT The DK-21 is the 'standard' for lesser D series cams..

Eyepiece Cup DK-21 - Nikon Store

......and, as we all recognise, it isn't the same at all.

Whether DK-21 accessories can slip over the Z series VF, even though it's a different shape is open to experiment.

Edited by mike_halliwell

Except for the notch at the top, the eyepiece seems identical to both the D750 and D7200. Have no idea what the notch does, but otherwise the DR 6 should work. Question is do you want it enough to pay Nikon $265 - Woof! There are a bunch of Buy it Nows on the 'Bay at around $100 some auctions with possibility of an even lower price. Street at the camera stores is $194.

Until someone successfully attaches (and detaches!) a DR-6 or similar to a Z series camera, I'm not going bet on it.

the eyepiece seems identical to both the D750 and D7200

the DR 6 should work

I think the words in bold sum it up...;)

Sure, it could be out-of-date but Nikon's own DR-6 'compatible' chart doesn't have a Z camera there.

Right-angle viewfinder DR-6 - Nikon Store

and the Z6 accessories page doesn't have a DR-6 there..

Nikon Z 6 | 24.5 MP mirrorless camera | full-frame

Just saying....:p

• Like 1

Except for the notch at the top, the eyepiece seems identical to both the D750 and D7200. Have no idea what the notch does.

The notch is a mirrorless-specific feature. There is a little light detector on top of the EVF for auto EVF-rear LCD auto switching. If that detector is covered up (by your forehead when you look into the EVF), the display will switch to the EVF. If that detector is not covered up, the display will switch to the rear LCD. That auto switching feature is optional, and you can manually select to use either display.

• Like 1

Not Shun but the answer to both of your questions is affirmative.

do you think the DR-6 should/will fit the Z6?

According to Nikon, it is compatible with D750 and D780. Both of these camera's viewfinder eye point is 21mm. So is Nikon Z6 (check B&H specs).

Or will it block the sensor and turn OFF the EVF

Yes because DR-6 body will block the eye sensor.

According to Nikon, it is compatible with D750 and D780. Both of these camera's viewfinder eye point is 21mm. So is Nikon Z6 (check B&H specs).

It's the actual mechanics, not the optics that worry me. Will it physically fit properly?

Yes, it looks the same, but can you see the dimensional difference between a Sony and a Nikon hot-shoe from web pictures?

Surely someone here owns a Z series body AND a non-pro Nikon DSLR?

Just slip off the DK-21 and the DK-29 and see if they're interchangeable.

Yes because DR-6 body will block the eye sensor

Which is good, so it means you will see through the eyepiece without having to mess with menus or buttons.

I wonder if the 2X mag is useful with an EVF? Mirrorless shines when you use the magnification button, but optically magnifying it might not buy as much as you'd think. I'm thinking this is most useful in bright light, where using the rear screen tipped flat won't be visible.

Just checked and the eyepiece thingies do interchange between my D200 and Z6, though the one from the Z6 comes down a bit lower and hits the removable plastic screen protector. So I'd think the right angle finder would fit.

Edited by conrad_hoffman
  • Like 2

It's the actual mechanics, not the optics that worry me. Will it physically fit properly?

It is the mechanics of course. It should fit physically.

Which is good, so it means you will see through the eyepiece without having to mess with menus or buttons.

One will not be able to see anything on the LCD once the eye sensor is blocked, DR-6 or no DR-6.

Edited by Mary Doo

I wonder if the 2X mag is useful with an EVF? Mirrorless shines when you use the magnification button, but optically magnifying it might not buy as much as you'd think. I'm thinking this is most useful in bright light, where using the rear screen tipped flat won't be visible.

Are you referring to the Z6 capability to have the OK button customized to focus at 100% or 200%? I have customized mine to 100%; I have not had the opportunity to use it much but it sure can be handy, especially when focusing manually. The DR-6 provides 1.25x and 2.5x magnification too, but I'd think using the OK button is much easier.

I'm not much on customization and just use the + button on the back. My point is that the resolution of the EVF is limited (though very good) and applying optical magnification with the right angle finder may just show you its inherent resolution. Magnification on the body will display up to the resolution of the sensor.
  • Like 1

It should fit physically

Why?

According to Nikon literature there are precisely zero accessories for the Z series eyepiece, other than the aforementioned DK-29 rubber cover.

Nikon has a history of making things not compatible, some would say deliberately so they can sell more expensive accessories.

If they intended you to use one, they're include it in their literature, just in-case you want to buy one at rather a large price.

One will not be able to see anything on the LCD once the eye sensor is blocked, DR-6 or no DR-6

Unless you choose to manually overide the sensor as Shun mentioned.

The DR-6 provides 1.25x and 2.5x magnification too

The Nikon page for it:

DR-6 Rectangular Right Angle Viewfinder from Nikon

"The DR-6 allows you to set the reproduction ratio to either 1:1 or 1:2".... kinda implies nothing inbetween? Weird or what?

Now putting one of these over the tilting LCD to get the perfect clear view at an odd angle makes sense (but not necessarily financially..:D...)

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/HoodLoupe®-Outdoor-Loupe-Optics-Base/dp/B074N4Z4J1/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=dslr+loupe&qid=1591723854&sr=8-7

The 1:1 or 1:2 thing isn't that weird. They probably just flip a lens element in and out of the path.

My guess is they couldn't imagine anybody wanting to use it with the Z series or never got around to adding them to the list. Hard as it may to be to believe, they probably don't have infinite resources and infinite imagination. I know I wanted a DR-4 for many years for macro work, but the price was always just out of reach and they didn't show up used very often. This page is also good, but doesn't mention the Z series- Which right-angle finder can I use on my camera?

I can interpret their description to include any Nikon with a rectangular finder because the page heading includes digital cameras, even if the list doesn't: My D200 vs Z6 test also suggests no problem.

"All Nikon SLR cameras with a rectangular viewing eyepiece including: ..."

• Like 1