Richard Avedon

Discussion in 'News' started by movingfinger, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Yes indeed QG. We spend a great deal of time placing (often misplaced) emotions and ideas onto the faces and into the eyes of others. What's inside is not manifest on the exterior, unless we want to go back to the idea that we should judge a book by its cover.

movingfinger likes this.
  2. I’ll stick with Avedon, who knew intimately that the surface of a face gives clues, as he said, and not a full back story.

A book cover is usually designed by someone other than the author. A facial expression comes from the person being photographed. While a single facial expression doesn’t tell a full factual story, it may reveal something significant and even significant about that person at a moment in time. A photographer of people has much to consider and work with.

3. A friend of mine who was the photo editor of an art magazine here in Milwaukee photographed Avedon at an opening of one if his exhibits in Madison, Wisconsin back in the 1980's. Avedon called him up after he saw his photo on the cover of the magazine and asked to by a print. My friend mailed him an 8x10 print and recieved a check in the mail not long afterwards. My friend never cashed the check and had it framed.

movingfinger likes this.
  4. Good story. It would be very interesting to see what portrait of himself Avedon would pay to have. Candid? Is the magazine cover posted anywhere?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
  5. A story about Avedon and the horrid Duke and Duchess of Windsor:

The Duke and Duchess of Windsor: We Are Not Amused

6. Thanks. Great. It goes well with my being in the midst of this season of the The Crown! :)

Yes. A photographer can manipulate any situation and create something he wants to create. Alternatively or simultaneously, a photographer can draw out a subject in the hopes of getting something authentic from them. A photographer and subject can work together and come up with something that may say a bit about both of them. There are endless permutations.

Sometimes, we look at a photo and have a real sense of what we're seeing. It can feel almost unmistakable. But it still could be mistaken. A back story can give insights into just what we're seeing, if we want to go beyond our ephemeral experience of the photo itself or we want to confirm the "accuracy" of our interpretation.

This excites and intrigues me when looking at and taking pictures of people. There's often a mystique, some doubt, some wonder. What's "real"? What's created? What does it matter? With all that, regardless of whether the emotion is coming from a genuine moment of the subject, a manipulated moment of the subject, a penetrating view by the photographer, or simply a lucky stroke, what I feel when looking and shooting is real enough to me and worth it.

7. Back Story: I thought a picture was worth 1000 words.

8. Old school! :)

9. Vincent Peri

Vincent Peri Metairie, LA

I read somewhere years ago that the phrase " a picture is worth 1000 words" was originally,

"A word is worth a thousand pictures."

Hmm... seems right to me...
    say "banana" and I think of
    thousands of them...
    [​IMG]

10. Boy are we bored.