Rich Granny Going to Buy You A Lens

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by dan_brown|4, Feb 19, 2009.

1. This is just for grins...
    Let's say she offers to buy you any lens in the Nikkor line-up for your birthday, price is no object. But you get just one item and you have to keep it forever. Which one, and why?
    I'm torn but, I'm going to go for the 200/2 VR, because I love raw speed, and it would be very nice for my kid's school/music auditorium gigs.

2. I want a fast quality lens small enough to carry. 200 2.0 is not carryable. My 200 4.0 Ais fills my goal.
    Nikon does not make any I want to keep forever, and Leica has no full frame digital and I can`t afford it if they ever do.
    I have a few I will keep forever, but they are Leica. Nikon does not generate that enthusiasm to me.

3. Nikon 500 f/4 AF-S II VR

4. I'll just go for the most expensive lens out there. I can then sell that (possibly for near full price if I keep it in the box) and use that to buy all the actual stuff I want :)

5. i just want the 24-70 f/2.8 that would do me...compliments my 80-200 nicely

6. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

Nish, you are violating the rules Dan set down to start this thread.
    "But you get just one item and you have to keep it forever."​

7. I would decline the gift graciously

8. Looks like the AF-S NIKKOR 400mm f/2.8G ED VR is their most expensive lens right now (the 600mm doesn't seem to be available now).
    This should give me around 8000 bucks. I can buy a D700 and half a dozen pro-lenses for that money :)

9. Oops. Thanks Shun, I missed that point. Damn.
    Following the rules would mean I'd get the AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED.

10. Please Grandma, may I have a 105mm f1.8 Ai-S? After she had purchaced if for me I would take some of the best photos I could with it and have them framed for her wall so she could enjoy it too.

11. Kiss your granny and accept the gift ! I vote for 500 f/4 AF-S II VR..., the rest probbably you can afford to buy, by yourself. If granny is not that rich, the 70-200/2,8 VR, will do...

12. For me I would keep my old 500mm f4 P because its lighter than the new version and I carry it alot. I have some interest in the 24-70mm f2.8 but I like primes more. I guess it would have to be one of the PC-E lenses. I don't know which I would use more, they all can be very handy. I guess if I received one as a gift I could buy another so lets say the 24mm PC-E and I would purchase the 85mm.

13. 85mm f/2.8 PC-E Micro-Nikkor.

14. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

I hope Dan doesn't mind a somewhat off-topic answer. I was brought up by my grandparents instead of my own parents. When I was a teenager, my grandparents were very tolerant when I had a darkroom at home during highschool, and I had all sorts of developers, fixers, wet prints, print dryer ... all over the bathroom and my room. Without their encouragement, I would never have been so into photography today.
    In that sense, that was my grandparents' best photography gift to me among countless other gifts. It was far more important than any lens would have done.

15. Shun, I hear you. My parents bought me a cheap camera when I was 8 - I was too young to take care of anything more expensive. But they encouraged my brother and me by putting our pictures in an album, which made us feel we were doing something worthwhile. My father also gave us basic instruction in composition. When my mother passed away 30 years later, I found dozens of our pictures in her album. People want to feel that what they do makes a difference, and my parents gave my brother and me that feeling. My brother also remains an avid amateur photographer.
    Somewhat ironically, given the thread topic, I misplaced that camera in my grandparents' home on a visit. I always wondered what happened to it.
    About the lens: I would choose the 200-400 f/4. I've always wanted to dabble in some wildlife photography.

16. shun, thanks for putting things in a different perspective. you can't put a pricetag on the most valuable gifts.
    in my case, if my rich uncle -- who frequently requests my photographic assistance -- made a similarly gracious offer, i'd be perfectly satisfied with a 300/4 AF-S.
    more likely, for the sake of "economic stimulus," i'll buy it myself...

17. Well, I just got an AF-S 105 f/2.8G VR Micro for my b/d last month. Yeah! Sorry! It wasn't from my grandma, it was from my wife! Almost the same! :) I don't know about "forever".... is that a real word? Basically whatever I get as a present I keep it for as long as I can. She also bought me a Canon T90 in 1986 and I still have it and use it!
    Shun... Is that right? I was also brought up by my g/parents! My parents divorced when I was 24 days old. Dumb people! Why did they bother to get married on the first place! :)

18. My father bought me a Nikon FE2 with a 50mm f1.8 lens brand new from B&H Photo when I graduated from high school in 1987. It was the best gift he could have ever given me. Then before Christmas, 2000, he called me up and told me I could have any digital camera up to $1000 for Christmas, so I asked for the Nikon Coolpix 990.
    My mother was brought up by her grandparents as well, but by the time she was a teen they shipped her off to her dad and his second wife (my mothers mother died shortly after she was born). And later she moved in with her older sister.

19. Shun, you got the greatest gift of all and it has stayed with you. Thanks for all supporting families. Sorry to stray from the thread a bit.

20. 400mm f2.8 VR. I have NO need for this lens, but would love it. Can I have a 1.4X tele-converter with it?

21. This is just for grins...
    I would tell her I needed a new body instead of a lens and have her gift be a D3X!

22. The 28mm f/1.4!

23. bms

bms

No digital body would last forever.:) I treated myself to a Leica M4, which is 40 years old and I'm sure it will last another 40 :)
    But as you want a lens.... I am assuming this is not a hypothetical grandma..... price is ALWAYS an issue, even "if it is not". I'd be modest... 70-200 VR (more versatile that the 200, and one stop slower would be OK for me) or maybe an upgrade to my aged 300mm f/4... but if I shot a lot of birds, who knows... I'd ask Rene how is faring with the 400/2.8+TC :)

24. "... But you get just one item and you have to keep it forever... "
    Are you refering to the grannie or to the lens?
    If to the grannie, it could be a good thing; if to the lens, probably a 45/2.8P (I cannot imagine myself carrying a 500/4AFS IIVR during the rest of my life!).

25. 50mm F1.8 ...

26. The 200-400 zoom I guess.

27. 600 mm f4 VR II

28. Interesting answers. A clean used 28/1.4, good one.
    I put the "keep it forever" thing in to foil the obvious answer of getting the most expensive and selling it to buy... whatever.

29. CoastalOpt UV-VIS-IR 60. Not that I need it, but its THE sharpess lens in the world!

30. The 13mm AIS.

31. I'll be sooo lame: 85 1.4. I just want that.

32. Just like Ian, I'd opt for a Nikkor (MF) AIS 105mm f/1.8...That's my "REALLY want one" lens!

33. 24mm F3.5 D ED , it looks like good fun.

34. 70-200 VR. And if Granny doesn't buy it soon I will have to...

35. second vote for 28mm f1.4 (no need to wrap it)

36. It would have to be the 600 vr.

37. Whatever is the Nikon equivalent to the Canon 1200mm f/5.6 L USM.

38. cz 1.4/50

39. I'd be happy with a Nikkor 16mm f/2.8 AI-S lens. About $350 ought to cover it.

40. I grew up with my grandparents in Poland. My first camera was given to me by my parents in 1989 tough times to get anything in Poland, they, bought it in USA it was a Canon with 50mm lens on it and flash I don't recall the model #. Back to the main subject I'd like 17-55 f2.8.

41. well, if the new Nikon 35mm f1.8 turns out to be a good lens, I think I'd be happy with that; it's so hard not to be greedy! cb :)

42. price is no object​
    I'm assuming granny is rich.
    Tough choice..... I'd either go with the 200/2 VR or the 300/2.8 VR.... the 400 2.8 is just too big!

43. my world now are my grandkids. i like them being involved in sports. so i'd go for the 200mm f/2 VR. God bless you, Ian. Nice touch.

44. I would either want the 28mm f1.4 (sorry) or the 14-24. (drool)

45. bmm

bmm

I'd be pragmatic and go for the most expensive of the list of lenses that I'm looking at purchasing anyway in the next few years so would be 24-70 f/2.8. I wouldn't go for a lens that I don't see a good level of need for. Of the other ones listed by people here the 28/1.4 is tempting as well...
    And Rene I hear you, I got my wonderful 85/1.4 from my equally wonderful fiance last year and such a connection adds that extra bit of importance...

46. "A clean used 28/1.4, good one."
    Now you're talking!!
    My second choice would be a 400mm f2.8 VR

47. ...Sigmonster 200-500/2.8...400-1000

48. I think a real grandma wouldn't get anything more expensive than lenses in the category of the 50 f/1.8, 18-55 VR, or the 55-200 VR.
    Anyway, the 500 and the 600 are both really nice, and so is the 400 f/2.8. Both since I can't sell them, and it's not too practical for me to use them, I would rather settle for a 300 f/2.8 VR or a 14-24.
    I've tried the 300 f/2.8 once on my D40. It's such a nice lens...

49. 6mm 2.8 would be my first choice. Then 200/2, 400/2...
    28-70 maybe?
    What do you already have?

50. Noct-Nikkor. Period.

51. 24-70mm f/2.8 G ED AF-S

52. I can identify to a small degree with Shun's experience. My Granny gave me my first camera about 45 years ago. A small fixed lens 120 box camera. Her interest in photography was the greatest gift she could have given to me.
    My most cherished photo of her hangs on my wall...a circa 1940 shot of her on some small road in the woods looking into her camera in classic photo stance wearing dungarees and simple shirt. Very Dorthea Lange.

53. Nikkor AF-S II 500mm f/4 VR please.............
    Thanks Grandma.......

54. 600mm f/4, I could never afford one any other way.

55. Well, I probably will never actually use such a beast than the 600/4 or a 500/4. But the 300/2.8 VR could be handy. I might add an TC later on my own and still use it for landscape and nature without braking my back carrying it.
    As an alternative, if you stretch it, I would argue that a converted-to-Nikon Leica APO Elmarit 180/2.8 still belongs to the Nikkor line-up. Could be used as a nice portrait and macro lens (with tubes off course, I'd drop in the tubes myself).
    One great gift from my grandma however (well, the kid's grandma that is) is that she alway loves _my_ pics of the kids! However, she could not care less about my lenses...

56. I would ask for the most expensive lens Nikon make. Then immediately sell it and buy a few lenses I actually need. What a plan!

57. Dear Grandma,
    Given the state of the economy and your retirement funds, I'll just take a 50mm f/1.8 D.
    Now scoot along and go get yourself a little warm porridge with brown sugar.

58. 300 f/2.8 AF-S VR

59. I'd have to go with the 200mm f2.0 AF-S VR. It's the lens that I want the most the most but can justify the least.

60. Granny, I thought you loved me enought to know I shoot with Canon :-(

61. "Dear David-I read your post and you're out of my will. Enjoy your new lenses." signed, Granny Bell. cb ☺

62. Nikon AF-S Nikkor 600mm f/4G ED VR
    Was rumored to be at Penn Camera in Tysons VA :) aside from that one, the military I heard has a standing order for most all that come from production.

63. ross b won the thread

64. 600mm f/4, no question.

65. The way this question was asked, a single item with no price limit, tends to direct the answer to the big guns like the 200 f/2, 300 f/4.8 400 f/4 & 200-400. I don't think that I would want to carry any of those around with me, so I want whichever one would look coolest hanging on the wall.

66. It's greed versus need.
    Sure, a 600/4 is the most expensive, but I would never use the thing.
    After a couple days, I'm sticking with my 200/2 choice.

67. An all black Nikon 50/2 in NRF mount. There are only 5 or 6 known to be in existence, making it the rarest Nikon lens.
    If granny really loves me, she'd find me one of those. I'd use it, too.... much to the chagrin of all collectors.

68. Or, if granny can't find one, then a 50/1.4 All Black for Nikon RF Black bodies (700 to 800 made).
    Not quite as rare, but probably the most important lens Nikon ever produced. DDD

69. I'm with Jake. Selected Ai-s Nikkors when they didn't have to cater for we AF sissies. Any one of these:
    20/4.0
    28/1.4 or 2.8.
    85/1.4
    180/2.8
    200/2.8
    All these lenses are selling for much more now than when they were new. Thats if you can get someone to sell you one!

70. I think I would go for the 200-400 VR. If not, then the 14-24.

71. i would be very happy with a 35 1.4 manual focus or 28 1.4 AF-D, but would never have asked her to buy me such an expensive gift., even when offered.
    Unfortunately my granny passed away at 99 years of age some years ago........
    She was an extremely good person and i have the best memories from her .

72. I have the 200/2 and 400/2.8. The exotic lens that I actually hope to own at some point is the 8/2.8 AIS. The two exotics that I know I will never own are the 6/2.8 and 300/2 with TC-14C. The 6/2.8 is currently on eBay for $34,000 and I think there is still a 300/2 with TC-14C in England for about $15000. I'd take the 300/2 and TC-14C.

73. 28/1.4 I guess, though I'm loving the Zeiss 28/2...

74. The Sigma APO 120-300mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM, about $4000US. (Would be even better if it had optical stabilization, OS.)

75. No contest - 200 f2 VR It rocks!

76. The 24-70mm f/2.8. I always have it on one of my cameras.