Rich Granny Going to Buy You A Lens

dan_brown4

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I can identify to a small degree with Shun's experience. My Granny gave me my first camera about 45 years ago. A small fixed lens 120 box camera. Her interest in photography was the greatest gift she could have given to me.<br>

My most cherished photo of her hangs on my wall...a circa 1940 shot of her on some small road in the woods looking into her camera in classic photo stance wearing dungarees and simple shirt. Very Dorthea Lange. </p>

<p>Well, I probably will never actually use such a beast than the 600/4 or a 500/4. But the 300/2.8 VR could be handy. I might add an TC later on my own and still use it for landscape and nature without braking my back carrying it.<br /> As an alternative, if you stretch it, I would argue that a converted-to-Nikon Leica APO Elmarit 180/2.8 still belongs to the Nikkor line-up. Could be used as a nice portrait and macro lens (with tubes off course, I'd drop in the tubes myself).<br /> One great gift from my grandma however (well, the kid's grandma that is) is that she alway loves _my_ pics of the kids! However, she could not care less about my lenses...</p>

<p>i would be very happy with a 35 1.4 manual focus or 28 1.4 AF-D, but would never have asked her to buy me such an expensive gift., even when offered.<br>

Unfortunately my granny passed away at 99 years of age some years ago........<br>

She was an extremely good person and i have the best memories from her .</p>

<p>I have the 200/2 and 400/2.8. The exotic lens that I actually hope to own at some point is the 8/2.8 AIS. The two exotics that I know I will never own are the 6/2.8 and 300/2 with TC-14C. The 6/2.8 is currently on eBay for $34,000 and I think there is still a 300/2 with TC-14C in England for about $15000. I'd take the 300/2 and TC-14C.</p>