"Retro" Nikon MILC?

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by rodeo_joe|1, Jun 1, 2021.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fuji rolled out the X-T1 in early 2014. Closest thing I've ever seen to a digital FE/FM. Maybe Nikon should just rebadge the current X-T4. The Df was an utter dud. Nikon appears rudderless.

2. it's all still rumours and speculation...

Part of that rumurs is that it will possibly be an APS-C camera, now tah would make it less interresting for many but more interresting for me .. ;):cool:

3. Like Fuji did with the Nikon F60 to make a Fuji DSLR, the Fuji S1Pro? Right rudderless...;)

4. I thought is was the Nikon N80. But any way if anyone consider a mirrorless camera (even an APS-C size) as a digital version Nikon FM/FE then the Df wasn't designed for those people. The idea was that the FM/FE (in fact any f cameras) is an SLR so the digital version of them must be DSLR.and all the f are FX.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
  5. That those early Fuji DSLRs were built on Nikons didn't matter much. It was the Fuji-designed sensor/processor that set them apart.

6. The Fuji X-T1-4 cameras routinely get mistaken for "old film cameras." Nikon designers seemingly never considered ditching the ancient prism/mirror box for an EVF as the key to a smaller form factor than the hulking Df. Recall the promo hype ahead of the dull thud Df rollout.

7. Sandy Vongries

Sandy Vongries Administrator Staff Member

If you haven't owned and used a Df as I have, your evaluation of no worth. A fine camera with the same sensor as the D4 that produces excellent photos.

8. It was the F80 (N80 in the States) for the Fuji S2 and S3 Pro.

..and the S5 was a modded D200.

9. Interesting camera design choice by Nikon.....:cool:

10. I thought Nikon would announce it today but it's not so.

mike_halliwell likes this.
  11. Anything but white. Very chic, but i seem to make all things grubby....:(

12. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

I took this picture of a Nikon J1 display at a local camera store almost a decade age, in December 2011. That major Japan earthquake and tsunami had taken place earlier in April that year, followed by a major flood at Nikon's Thailand factory in October that same year. However, the entire Nikon 1 line was manufactured at a Nikon China factory so that the impact on the Nikon 1 was not as severe. At the time the J1 came in five different colors with matching lenses. Nikon hired Ashton Kutcher to promote the J1; apparently the target users were the young, hip generation.

Needless to say, the entire Nikon 1 system was a major flop. Nikon closed down the factory in China 5, 6 years later. The camera store I went to also went out of business in 2016, after some 51 years.

J1_Five_Colors_2443.jpg

13. Tuesday (here in the US) - no one announces a new product on a Monday.

If you are referring to the latest "leaked" images - then I think it looks a lot better than the Df (from the front and top - I have not seen any images of the back yet).

EDIT: seen the back now too - not too bad. And the retro-look 28/2.8 lens looks nice on the camera. Bit of an odd focal length choice though (for an APS-C camera).

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
    mike_halliwell likes this.
  14. Yup!

15. I got this 15 minutes ago from B&H
    [New post] Nikon Z fc now Available for Pre-order for $959 !
    The release date for this camera is in late August, 2021.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
  16. The lens looks bad. There is no black only chrome with different color leatherette. Hate that exposure compensator dial but then it's most people favorite thing.

17. As a Fujifilm and vintage camera user, though not specifically a Nikon fan, I offer my thoughts:

* Looks 'right', just like a Nikon FM/FE

* Fully articulating screen means it can be flipped over and hidden against the camera, I like.

* PASM switch? Going back to a physical dial interface removes the need for this turn of the century modal thinking, just add an 'A' position to each dial, as per Fuji, Leica, etc...

* Bizzare (at least to me) auto ISO behaviour.

* Exposure compensation dial looks to be difficult to reach with your thumb, which is bad, as it is (at least for me) the most used control on a mirrorless camera in any auto mode.

In short, typical Nikon, I'm sure it'll be solid, well built with lovely mechanicals, but a needlessly overcomplicated control scheme that completely misses the point.

Dials that are only active depending on the position of the PASM selector? What were they thinking?

18. They missed the ability to eliminate the PSAM selector because they chose not to include the aperture ring on the Z mount lenses.
    I hate the exposure compensator. I don't want it there. I want it on the left side and never be used.....
    I know I know the Exposure Compensator is now the primary mean to control exposure but it's one I never ever use.

19. Here I would have to disagree. If for example aperture priority were implemented in the F3 style, with an 'A' position on the shutter speed dial, it would lose memory of what shutter speed was used when explicitly using it. By having a lever that chooses between P, S, A, and M, one can return to manual or shutter priority settings without having to explicitly dial in the shutter speed (which might be the same as before). Although I loved the F3HP in many ways, I felt the implementation of aperture priority was clumsy. It also had the most difficult-to-use exposure compensation dial with its own lock, it made aperture priority virtually unusable to me. The Zfc looks much better.

How does it work, then?

It is operated with thumb and forefinger. This is for sure slower but I think the thinking behind is to force the user to think more about what they are doing, by making it a bit slower. I would guess that easy exposure compensation can be activated and then the main command dial (which can be operated with thumb only) adjusts EC. This is how I use EC in DSLRs.

I think it's highly subjective.

They remember their last position which is valuable.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
  20. Given how deep it is now within the top plate, I don't think it's likely that the user would inadvertently turn the EC dial in the Zfc. So I think it's pretty safe. I never used the EC in the F3HP because it was practically impossible to use, but it is indeed the primary exposure control for me today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.