Regular banding on negs

giverin

<p>I've just shot a roll of HP5+ on a Kiev 4A that I've recently bought. Its the third roll I've run through it and the first two were fine but on this roll, several frames have come out with dark banding on the top right hand of the frame. Its quite well defined and is the same location on all affected frames (see links to images below). It looks to me like a camera issue but I can't figure out why dark banding? The banding seems to be in the horizontal plane and the shutter opens in the vertical plane. Film was developed in D-76 for 13 minutes. Any ideas please?<br>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/43829277@N07/5627786437/">http://www.flickr.com/photos/43829277@N07/5627786437/</a><br>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/43829277@N07/5627787041/">http://www.flickr.com/photos/43829277@N07/5627787041/</a></p>

<p>How about a dim light leak at the film door hinge? It's vertical. Remember, the image would be inverted in the camera; so, the left half of the print's corresponding negative frame might have already gotten tucked under the takeup spool; I don't have a Kiev, but isn't there usually a well covering part of most takeup spools? The film would stay there for a while, between photos. Maybe it's just enough of a leak to make a mark that's heavy near the hinge, and about the topside of the takeup going back, to create a graduation? My guess. I do not know. Maybe if it is intermittent, it occurs between sessions, or when the operator will walk around for a while in a bright environment, like open sunshine all afternoon. Another guess. Wanna bet a piece of felt or yarn is in your future?</p>

<p>John, you may be right. It doesn't have a door hinge, the whole back comes off but there is some felt near two spools that could do with replacing. In fact, thinking about it now, I may have induced the light leak by something else I done. I put a small rubber "O ring" round the tripod mount spigot where it protrudes through the removable back/base plate. I did this because I thought I might have had a light leak there. I think in doing that, the O ring is holding off the felt seals around the feed and takeup spools.<br>

Jim, its definately not the shutter. As I said originally, the banding is horizontal and the shutter curtains open vertically.<br>

Thanks to all for their help.</p>

<p>Shutter caused exposure streaks are always 90<sup>0</sup> to the direction of travel of the shutter. If they are in the same direction as the travel of the shutter then one of the curtains has a hole in it.</p>

<p> Horizontal travel shutters leave Vertical over/under exposure bands when they operate erratically. This type sweep a vertical slit across the length of the film gate exposing a vertical section of the film the width of the slit at any one instant.</p>

<p> Vertical travel shutters leave horizontal over/under exposure bands on the film when the shutter operates erratically. This type sweep a horizontal slit across the height of the film gate exposing a horizontal section of the film the width of the slit at any one instant.</p>

<p>The width of the slit in either type depends on the shutter speed selected.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The streaks are vertical but the "banding" is horizontal i.e. a series of bands moving left to right along the frame. A vertical travel shutter curtain could not cause this. Yes the streaks are on the negs (hence the title of the thread) but I'm now sure they are due to a light leak after the frame has been exposed and the film wound on. </p>

<p>After repeated examination of the referenced photos I only see streaks going from top to bottom of the image which is vertical. I see no defects left to right which is the horizontal.</p>

<p>A Vertical travel shutter can cause horizontal bands.<br>

The horizontal travel shutter sweeps a 24mm high slit across the 36mm width of the film gate.</p>

<p>The vertical travel shutter sweeps a 36mm wide slit up or down the 24mm height of the film gate.</p>

<p>Sorry I have no other information to offer you.</p>