Rates for photographing artwork, paintings etc.

stuey

<p>I am a professional photographer, and have been commissioned to quote on photographing a series of paintings, and have no idea what to charge. As the collection is over a large area (across the city) and will be shot over an extended period of time, I guess I need to charge with an eye to travel time.<br>

Some colleagues say to charge a 'call out' fee (much the same as a plumber might) and then a per artwork price.<br>

Others say just charge an hourly rate.<br>

Post production, again, an hourly rate.<br>

But question is, does anyone have ideas as to what these actual rates might be? Has anyone else been in this situation?<br>

Eager to hear your ideas, and thanks in advance!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>By the hour with a minimum half-day charge to cover travel time.<br>

It's hard to suggest an hourly rate not knowing where you are or what others in your area charge, but my half-day rate here in Silicon Valley is $600 and that covers transportation, setup, and shooting. I then charge for usage (licensing) separately.<br>

My $0.02 worth<br>

<Chas><br /><br /></p>

<p>I guess some of the issue is the paintings themselves which could extend from portrait miniatures to a 15 ft Morris Louis modern work, from a fragile, gold-leafed Renaissance panel painting to a multi-layered animation cel. All represent a different level of complexity. Even a "standard" 30"x40" modern oil easel canvas can represent unique challenges on location with surround issues, ambient light control, surface reflections, frame issues etc. </p>

<p>One idea is to get a grasp on some of these variables and, considering the large size of the project, using time via a day rate or hourly, for your charge structure is a good way to go. You can show a time breakdown on the invoice. Your rate should reflect the level of expertise, experience and skill you can bring to bear on these, sometimes difficult, subjects as well as considering regional norms. Your estimate can include all pre-production, production and post production time as well as travel time and mileage, tolls, etc. If some portion requires special equipment or an assistant, that should be included as well. As a pro you already may know that your day rate should reflect a portion all your other overhead you may have for your equipment, utilities, vehicle, insurance (you really need it here- consider potential damage to a valuable art object or other part of a fine home) etc.</p>

<p>Back in Los Angeles, 15 years ago (pre-recession), when I was very active in freelance work, I was getting $1500/day (or part of) +expenses. I was also the Senior Photographer for the Getty Museum which helped to add credibility and spoke to my expertise. Most of my clients were serious collectors, galleries, art dealers, museums and art book publishers. I don't really know what pros in L.A. are getting now as I've been out of the freelance game for some time since moving into museum management. The ASMP (American Society of Media Photographers) use to have a guide they'd put out with suggested rates one could buy. Don't know if they still do. They were a general guide only but better than nothing. I hope this helps.</p>