RA-4 developer with ECN-2 films

<p>I have the formula to make ECN-2 developer but through research I discovered that RA-4 developer is a real close match except for maybe how to dilute it to get manageable times in small tank processing.<br>

I have already cured the rem-jet problem so that is not needed. I would like to know if I should use it straight or dilute it 1-1. also the development and temp times if it is not the same from using ECN-2 developer. Some people have said to stick with the 3 minute development time using RA-4 developer and others have said to dilute it 1-1 and use the 3 minute time. I have plenty of film to play with but I would like to start some place besides Left field.</p>

<p> Yes the Alchemist is asking for help :-)</p>

<p> Thanks in advance Larry</p>

<p>As far as I know, RA-4 and C-41 have some similarities, and maybe with the right dilution.<br>

But why not use real C-41?<br>

Some years ago, I developed 5247 in C-41. In the final rinse, the rem-jet is soft enough to just rub off. <br>

You could see what others say about C-41 film in RA-4, if that is what you really want to do.<br>

As far as I know, in general print developers are a lot stronger than film developers.</p>

-- glen

<p>Well, since RA-4 uses CD-3, you're somewhat more likely to get stable dyes with ECN-2 films than with C-41, which uses CD-4. But RA-4 developer will definitely give you color curve crossover, each of the three emulsion layers will not have matched speed or contrast. You can't "mess" with color processes and expect to get anything that's "correct."<br>

The ingredients for <a href="http://motion.kodak.com/motion/uploadedFiles/US_plugins_acrobat_en_motion_support_processing_h247_h2407.pdf">ECN-2 color developer</a> aren't that exotic. Why not mix it? I'd expect that ordinary stop, C-41 bleach, fix, and final rinse would work.</p>

<p>Last I did RA-4, it came in three bottles. It might be that if you mix the appropriate concentration of each, you get the right formula. (Might be easier than starting from scratch.)<br>

<br />I don't know how to find the ratios, though.</p>

-- glen