Processing APX 400 in Rodinal

FWIW, I like this film souped in Rodinal, 1+50, 8.5 min at EI 400, spot meter.

You may find answers vary quite a bit. This is due to differences in meters, metering habits, enlargers, papers and simply the photograpers like to do things.

As suggested, try what the box says and change if you need to.

<I>I would suggest to use better the processing instructions on the RODINAL

bottle.</I><P>The Rodinal and Agfa 400 developing times are identical.<P>The time on the

instructions that come with Agfapan APX 400 and Rodinal is 1+25 @ 7 minutes. I have been

using the combination for 35 years or so and never seen 1+25 @ 11 minutes, 1+50 @ 11

minutes would be more like it. These of course are starting points depending on light,

subject matter etc.

William, the question makes sense and the answer is not that simple.

I have in front of me two different instruction sheets that came with two differents bottles of Rodinal.

Both list the time for APX400, @EI400, 20C, 1+25, gamma 0.65, but one says 7 min and the other 10 min.

In the case of 1+50, times are 11 and 30 (yes, thirty) minutes.

On the other hand, I also have two obviously different boxes of APX400 and one says 7 min and the other 10 min, both 1+25.

Expiration dates marked on the boxes tell wich is newer. The newer box says 10 minutes.

Last weekend I processed a roll of the "new" and the "old" fims together, 8 min 1+25 and I can see no difference between them (except for a little bit higher level of fog in the older, the one that suposedly needs shorter development).

I hope this helps.