Preparing CMYK images for printing press (book printing)

<p>Hi,<br>

I am in Asia now - preparing my RGB immages for printing in a photo-book, but confused with CMYK profiles. I tried to explain to my printers that I need to know some info (CMYK profile of their printing press, shape of a dot, etc) to fine-tune my images, but they don't seem to know. I only know that my printers have a German printing press and they will print my book in 2-up printing layout (pages are 11x11") - that all the info I got so far out of them.<br>

So, I am converting my pictures from RGB to Generic CMYK profile now. I don't know very much about profiles myself, but thought that maybe if I convert to "Generic CMYK" it will come closer to the true then trying to speculate what profile they actually have.<br>

My question is:<br>

what is Generic CMYK profile for?<br>

in Photoshop menue there are so many CMYK profiles are listed, everyone of them is looking different on my screen (MacBook Pro 15").<br>

Will choosing "Generic CMYK" carry me through?</p>

<p>Vika, you don't have enough information to really go forward, I don't think. If it's a Heidelberg press, or some brand that is high end, you should be able to get a profile for it. At least, you should find out which press make and model they have to see if you can fine tune the profile. Generic CMYK will get you close, but if it's a book, I think I'd want to be exact. Surely they must be able to give you the model. If they're being a pain, maybe you ought to move on to another printer.</p>

You're printer should give you a set of requirements/specs. Without that you're shooting in the dark and taking a large risk.

It's even possible an RGB file is required - especially if it's a print-on-demand press; in which case the printer/software will do the

conversion.

Take the time to get the requirements.

www.citysnaps.net

<p>A typical press job (as far as I know) is sent out with a standard profile like the US coated SWOP, and the printers will specify a dot gain figure and a max ink coverage. It's unlikely you'd need to know a press pofile, that would be for the printing technicians to worry about.<br>

A reputable printer who is used to colour repro should be able to provide you with the full specifications for what they require. If they can't, they're cowboys and I'd find another printer.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>what is Generic CMYK profile for?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Hitting the broad side of the barn. Not a good idea! You need the output profile for the press or better, contract proofing system they will hopefully use to contractually prove to you, this is what they will get on press. The profile will have all the necessary info (dot gain, UCR/GCR etc). That's all you need. </p>

<p>http://www.ppmag.com/reviews/200703_rodneycm.pdf</p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>Thank you for the answers.<br>

Michael, it is Heidelberg press, which they bought new in 2005. I will try to find out the exact model and search for the profile.<br>

Brad, it's not a print on demand, in fact I try to print 3000 copies, so yes, it is a risk, but here it cheeper to print and I am just trying to understand how bigger difference it will be if i don't do the exact CMYK profile, but a Generic one?<br>

Alee, yes, I do deal with cowboys here, they all are - it just a question which cowboy i like more, other then that it's same. They all do print a lot and don't care for small details like printing profiles, etc... My wall calendars come alright, but for book I wanted to be little more sure, that's why tring to understand why CMYK profiles all look different in soft-proffing? and which one is safer to pick?</p>

<p>Andrew, thanks for your answer, I will check the document you have attached, I agree that Generic maybe to "general" when there is such a brought range of GMYK profiles.... I am still working on it. Thank you.</p>