Post Processing Challenge 13th May 2017

Sorry, but I couldn't deal with the noise. With a RAW file, I've got software that does a pixel-by-pixel comparison and NR. That might have resulted in a file that I'd share, but I just couldn't get there with the jpeg. It was so noisy, I doubt that I'd have been happy, even after applying DxO's PRIME noise reduction.

Ken, this image indeed posed a challenge. The main reason: a considerably noisy sky. Initially I used the Dfine 2 noise reducer, but I didn't want to too heavy-handed to end up with too much lost detail. So. I resorted to several applications of the graduated fog filter in Color Efex. Otherwise, in PSE15, I corrected a slight tilt on the left side. Next I used levels for initial tonal settings. Back to Color Efex, I applied the graduated neutral density to darken the sky somewhat. For sharpening, I used the sharpening tool in PSE15 and a control point in Viveza. 1963251569_1451715_0b1c61e29894a7e6b8ce784a0631db60copy.thumb.jpg.2214f4c7c6b8ea25d789a865e06551ac.jpg
  • Like 3

Yep sure is a lot of noise, know why I always shoot RAW then most of these issues can be sorted in the converter. This was taken on a very dull/wet December day (late afternoon) at ISO 6400. I've just PP'd the image and attached are two versions, not a big difference in the two but thought they were both worth posting. All adjustments in PSE14, version 1, straighten horizon, small crop, levels adjusted, haze removal, paint bucket (on the sky), dodge tool on waves and mid tones, contrast/brightness, converted to B&W and vignette added.2095947255_Test1-web.thumb.jpg.bb67b8ab1c9aa18e64bb8492867fe435.jpg
  • Like 3

I started by selecting the highlights using magic wand, with a tolerance of 33, in Photoshop CS5, and then used Nik Dfine2 to reduce noise on the selection. Next, I straightened the horizon. I thought that the buildings in the background were distracting, so I cloned them out, added graduated fog to the top part of the image in ColorEfex, and cropped the image. Finally, I converted to black and white in SilverEfex2.ppc2.thumb.jpg.25d91886679c30314e12a14ec74564af.jpg
  • Like 3

some interesting interpretations already posted. Was not sure whether to build on the monochromatic nature of this image or find some colour. In the end went with a painterly effect - so straighter and crop, then color efex pro to bring out some colour, followed by curves to increase contrast, sharpening and application of "Ocean Ripple" filter.

Sea_E.thumb.jpg.71486051d897182eb8c386a5e00f0cfd.jpg

• Like 2

David, I just did a test to try to post a DNG file (at the very bottom of the forums list, there's a "test postings" forum, where you can try out something you're unsure of). The PN uploader doesn't seem to recognize DNG. As a matter of fact, it may be that nothing besides jpg is recognized. I think what a lot of people do is submit the largest jpg they can, either shooting in jpg or shooting in RAW and doing a simple conversion to jpg before uploading. Hope that helps.
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

Yes, indeed. When I post process a photo posted to these threads (have only joined in a couple of times), I begin by opening it in Photoshop's RAW converter, since that's the way I generally begin my work flow and I like all the options for basic adjustments I have there. Of course, that doesn't regain information lost when it was compressed to jpg. It just gives me a good opening shot. Also, some photos posted for this challenge may be shot in jpg to begin with. I suppose one option would be for the person starting the thread to post the jpg as always and perhaps email regular participants the actual RAW file, if there is one. But that requires giving out personal email addresses and might not work for people who are not regulars to this forum and are just dropping by or encounter it for the first time.
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!