Please kill the intrusive Circuit City ad

For the past few days, an annoying Circuit City ad has been coming

up from the top of the screen when I open up the "my workspace"

section. It covers up some of the top half of the screen for a few

seconds, then contracts back to the size of a regular banner ad at

the top. I can't stand ads that expand to cover up other content on

the screen, and I hope the site administrator will please kill it.

Thank you.

That's too bad. Such ads make my blood pressure go up momentarily, possibly erasing precious minutes from my life span. It's like when you're trying to watch TV, and in spite of the fact that the network has just finished holding your favorite program hostage for a commercial break, another ad comes up from the bottom of the screen during the actual show, obscuring 10-20% of what you're trying to see. Soon the Internet may suck as much as TV.

i'm receiving the ad this week roughly 33% of the time i visit the site, and beginning to associate circuit city with a negative connotation as a result. the drop down ads get in the way of me functioning. its as if an ad drops down when i try to change the televison channel. i hope advertisers develop a lighter touch if they want to be effective over the long term.

Brian- I get it every time I go to make a comment on an image. I would not mind it (I realize PN needs revenue) if it just was not covering the area I needed to click on. Maybe, if it opened up at the bottom of the page, or bottom right or left. It's tolerable, but it does make me a little slower! Maybe that's a Good Thing:)

In principle I agree with anyone objecting to intrusive ads, but pragmatically I must admit it is the admission fee I must pay to use the other facilities that PN affords. I have changed my browser to Mozillan and have installed adblock which has elliminated all but the most solidly embedded ads. I am not so naive as to suppose that a venture such as PN can provide such excellent and varied services free of charge to all comers. It isn't difficulat to understand that the membership fee covers only a minor fraction of the operating expenses. Would these constant complainers be happier if PN were discontinued, which it surely would have to be if its revenue sources were terminated? Quitcherbellyachin and make the most of it!

I have not seen a Circuit City ad either; what did I do wrong? I feel left out?:) <BR><BR>I do see a Empire state building photo at times; but without King Kong. Maybe an animated gif with biplanes; a madden in distress; and a jungle wonder are in order. :)<BR><BR>All the many adverts tend to blur together. "In chicago more people are cooking with gas". "Super Shell with plat-ro-mate"; "More doctors perfer Camels"; "Zamfir; master of the pan flute"; "I would rather fiaght than switch" ; OR those "whip inflation now" buttons; or the Goldwater atom bomb advert of the 1964 election. "when Tide is in; dirt is out"; "dirt can't hide from intensified Tide"; The Opel "mini brute" commercial; where is that elephant now?<BR><BR>OK NOW SING IN TOGETHER:<br><br><I>"MEET THE SWINGER; POLAROID SWINGER; YOU PULL IT UP; IT SAYS YES DA DA DA; . . ONLY NINETEEN DOLLARS AND NINETY FIVE!</I><br><br> "Kodak makes your pictures count"<BR><BR>Ok remember the Fuji cowboy who looked like the Marlboro man in the 1970's? <b><i>Picture America with Fuji"</I></b><BR><BR>"you can have worry free; home delivery; call Twin Pines".....Our milk man's jingle in Birmingham Michigan; about 1960....

Noboru; Today I have been on Photo.net with Win 3.11WG +Netscape; windows 98SE, windows 2000, using Mozilla; Opera; Internet Explorer; and Netscape; but not the full matrix. Since the Circuit City ad never was seen; the wonder is like looking for a lost person; with no clue as to what they look like.:) . Is the advert really due to photo.net? ; or a local popup on your computer?

I never have and never will buy anything advertised by annoying, intrusive pop-up ads, FAX SPAM, an email SPAM, or a telemarketer that calls my home during dinner because some greedy schmuck sold my private information.......Estimates are that over 80% of emails now are SPAM, all because a few idiots support these unscrupulous marketers by actually buying what they're selling. If you're sick of SPAM, pop-ups, and telemarketers, don't EVER buy anything from them or they NEVER stop.

I DO buy from merchants who use tolerable advertising mediums like newspaper, radio, TV, and "links ads" etc. I DO support websites like PN by using the "click-through" features (i.e. please use support "XYZ" website by using these links to our sponsors/merchants) but I DEFINITELY DO NOT support merchants who use aggressive/intrusive marketing tools like telemarketers, SPAMers and pop-up ads.

BTW, I'd like to see some numbers to support the idea that Pnet would fold without ad revenue. Pbase has approx. 30,000 members averaging about $25 per year or $2 per month. That's $60,000 a MONTH in gross revenue, and there are NO ADS there.....my most highly viewed image on Pbase has about 400 views (posted 3 months ago) the same image on Pnet has over 10,000 views after just 10 days, so one could conclude that Pnet has far more members....It's worth noting that Pbase (and most of the other photo sites) offer a free 30 day trial, but after that you either pay the $25 or you can't use the site. I would strongly urge Pnet to adopt a similar policy as more paid members SHOULD result in fewers ads......unless of course the owners here are more interested in the ability to generate traffic/hits than they are in paid memberships......

B Diamond, photos on photo.net get more views than on Pbase, I would think, and I think that we have more members in. However, we only have around 3,000 subscribers, whereas practically all of pbase members are subscribers. People on pbase think of themselves as paying for portfolio space, and most people on photo.net do not. If more of the people uploading photos to the Gallery became subscribers, we would be less dependent on ads.

I'm using OS X as an OS and Safari as a browser, I have the pop up blocker in

Safari turned on. I've never seen the ad. If everyone else was seeing why haven't I? But

apparently not everyone

else has seen the ad either. So that leads me to wonder; Could the adware be

targeting certain OS and browser combinations? It isn't impossible. What OS and browser

are you using?

alternately Might you somehow have a cookie installed on your set up that lets the powers

that be behind the ad to serve it up to you

<< If more of the people uploading photos to the Gallery became subscribers, we would be less dependent on ads. >>

And if photo.net did more to limit what free users could do with their Gallery space, there would be less need to subject its paying users to hostile ad campaigns.