Photoshop CS book?

ken_hassman

Hello All,

I hope this question won't seem out of place here in this strand of

the forums.

I am just getting used to using my Nikon D70. In addition I acquired

Photoshop CS. I am a real novice when it comes to PS (any iteration of

it) and use it to sharpen, increase/decrase saturation and contrast,

convert color to b&w. I know it can do WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more.

So, my question is, did anyone out there come across a book that

really helped them learn to how to use PS CS? I went to Borders today

and there were too many and I got confused and left. Anyone have a

specific recommendation(s)?

Thanks!

Ken

Thanks Edward, I don't think I saw that today. I may have to go to Barnes and Noble to see if they have that. Some of the books I looked at today focused nearly exclusively on editing portraits-dark circles, smoothing skin, etc. and much of what I do is not portrait. Does this book give good instruction for a variety of subjects?

Ken

True, there are just too many books. The "50 Fast Photoshop CS Techniques" by Gregory Georges will help you become productive immediately. "Adobe Photoshop CS Artistry" by Barry Haynes and Wendy Crumpler provides indepth coverage.

I know that feeling well. It happens to me everytime I get near the computer section at the

big bookstores.

The "heavyweight champion" in any discussion of Photoshop CS books is "Real World

Photoshop CS". It is easily the most authoritative and probably the best written of the lot.

Given the way you describe yourself, this would not be my first recommendation.

Instead, next time you browsing the bookstore, try 'Real World Digital Photography"

Second Edition, by Katrin Eisenmann, et. al. It too is very well written and is a better

overall look at the entire "eco-system" of digital imaging including significant chunks

dealing with digital cameras and printing as well as PsCS.

The Evening book gives a clear discourse on subjects of interest to photographers: CS Innovations, Color Management Systems, Scanning, Color Correction, et. al. The chapter on color management is one of the best I've seen.

Photoshop is a deep program. I don't use more than a fraction of its capabilities, and I doubt many do. Most Photoshop reference manuals tell you how to do things in great detail, but not why. That is where the Evening book excels.

"Photoshop CS Artistry" by Haynes and Crumpler is also very good. It is much more detailed in many respects than the Evening book, and too is written from a photographer's point of view. I use it to drill down on specific techniques and concepts, but have never read it cover-to-cover. By comparison, the Evening book is an easy read: enough detail to be useful, but not so much to bog you down. You should have both, but I'd start with the Evening book.

This is a little worrying.

I am in the market for a D70 quite soon and the thought of buying software that costs almost as much as the camera body (and of which I will use but a small percentage of its capability) is a big concern.

I currently have a Canon A80 'learning camera' and it produces 4mp jpgs and I get along fine with Paint Shop Pro 8 for what I need.

I am nervous of jumping into PS CS (costs 500 pounds UK on amazon) and ineptly using about 20 pounds worth of it!

The reason I want the DSLR is because I prefer SLRs (I currently own an F80 and AF-D lenses and 2 old Contax manual focus SLRs)

I do not want the DSLR (and hence bigger, better quality RAW files) as a reason to become a computer operator enslaved to expensive image processing software that will need a long time to learn. I was expecting that the DSLR (and my ability with it) would produce a good image and that I would have no more work to do than I currently do. (A little USM or re-sizing to print/display on web)

Ihave PS 6 and bought some manuals at Micro Center..I did not try to use everything it was capable of doing all at once....I learned a lot by using the manual on a "need to know" basis...It takes a long time. I was fortunate in having a grafic artist living next door that taught me a lot...

Do a search with Scott Kelby. His books are step by step which can be good for a novice. Not a book which a text book is planned thou.

I have his older one for PS 7. Maybe there is a CS version.

"The Photoshop Book for digital photographers".

From producing CD covers to color correction, masking, changing color of a top or trousers, to digital plastic surgery, to emailing and web upload to fixing PC such as if you did not use a PC or shift lens.

It gives you 3 or 4 methods of going to B/W.

Contrast and saturation is catered for as well is fixing photos such as red eye, adding fill flash or taking flash out if you accidentily used it, sharpening also and upsizing and downsizing. Sharpening has like 4+ methods.

Even if you cannot find his CS version just get this cos its that good.

Trev

Bit of color correction, resizing, USM should be the most would be doing with most pictures. That is if you are not a fashion photographer doing Cindy Crawford's photos so they can only be the best. Easiest is shooting RAW and getting exposrue and white color balance correct. These two can be assisted with a kodak 18% gray card. With this I normally add a s curve for added contrast or chroma under Nikon Capture for boosting all colors and USM. Resize and sent to lab. I don't print much so I don't resize. Lots of time I convert to JPG at the end as all I do is learn from it unless I am photographing something big.

The book I suggested is good as any level can just pick it up like a cooking recipe book and you do not have to start from cover to cover to understand it. If you went to the last issue you will understand it without even reading the introduction page.

Trevor, look at Adobe Photoshop Elements 2. It's under $100 US, and does most of what Photoshop CS does. One big disadvantage is the RAW file converter so you'll have to use (buy) Nikon Capture for that. It will take a little more time, but these two are a lot less expensive than CS. There may be a way to upgrade from Elements to CS, but by the time you get your money's worth out of Elements there will be another version beyond CS. Not that you'd have to upgrade, either.

I agree with the recommendation for Scott Kelby's books, Photoshop 7 for Digital Photographers has helped me a lot. Since I upgraded to CS, I just ordered the CS version of the book so I can't comment on what's new in this version. I've also heard nothing but praise for the Real World Photoshop books. That's next on my list.

due to cost you could hunt for a used version of adobe photoshop version 5 or so .. I believe the nikon raw plugin supplied works with 5+, but better check.. Photoshop is so complex do you need all those features of the latest version? (and hence you said you are a novice), but I think its better to start with PS than picking it later .. the bill has to come one day even if you delay it.

You can always download a trial copy from adobe or download.com and may be they have a older version as well?