Photography Quotes

Discussion in 'Casual Photo Conversations' started by cesna-pilot, Feb 6, 2018.

1. And that seeing guarantees or even implies that you understand what you see? I dearly love photography, but can think of myriad more useful required courses.

"To disarm the people...(i)s the most effectual way to enslave them."
    - George Mason

2. Here's a disarming young woman I know. I don't see what the problem is! :p

23-zora_4405-w.jpg

3. Walker Evans: "Stare. It is the way to educate your eye and more. Stare, pry, listen eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long. Concern yourself not with the question whether the medium, photography ,is art. The question is dated and absurd to begin with. You are art or not; whatever you produce is or isn't. And don't think about that either; just do, act."

4. From Wiki
    Man Ray not only purchased a number of Atget's photographs but used During the Eclipse for the cover of his surrealist magazine la Révolution surréaliste. When he asked Atget if he could use his photo Atget said: "Don't put my name on it. These are simply documents I make."

5. I think art classes (I wouldn't specify just photography) are useful to kids who find them so. I also think a minimum of exposure to art is part of a well-rounded education. I took several art-related classes when I was an undergraduate (getting a liberal arts degree) and benefitted from them, but it was by choice. I think they should be available at a college level, perhaps even encouraged, but not required except, obviously, for certain majors.
    Not necessarily. It just may be that "understanding" what you see is not the point at times. I actually think it helps sometimes to see more abstractly, and not with too much understanding. Which is not to put down understanding, which I'm very much in favor of. It just isn't always the goal.

Sandy Vongries likes this.
  6. From Gerry Winogrand: "Photography is about finding out what can happen in the frame. When you put four edges around some facts, you change those facts."

7. In the darkroom with my girlfriend, "You can't come in mom, I'm developing film!".

Sandy Vongries likes this.
  8. Do I remember those days!