Outdated Kodak Portra 800 rating?

<p>I've managed to score some outdated Kodak Portra 800 (exp 2001) at a cheap price for my Holga. It has been stored in a fridge.</p>

<p>I've read that fresh Portra is really a 640 ASA film; if that is right and considering that is way past expiry, should I shoot it as a 400 ASA film? I was thinking that it will probably have slowed down.</p>

<p>Thanks for any help received.</p>

<p>Most "800 speed" films have historically been a little short of that mark. Portra 800 is very close to 800 speed when fresh. It is faster than other 800 speed films. Nearly all films will lose some speed as they age, but a bigger problem with high speed films is the grain build-up in the shadows from background radiation. Portra 800 suffers less grain build-up than its competitors and far less than earlier generations. There is still enough grain in the shadows that it is worth overexposing to avoid it. I use an 800 speed film when I need high speed filim and always shoot fresh film. If you want to use up what you have, it will look OK at 400 speed and even better at 200 speed.</p>

<p>It's so much a matter of the individual conditions that this film has endured, that it's very difficult to say from any general perspective. If I had the one roll only, I'd do some bracketing, but even old color negative film will have much more latitude than slide film. If you have a bunch of it, I'd start with a roll shot at the indicated ISO, and then increase exposure if that doesn't work out well.</p>

<p>On some old B&W Plus X I had, I ended up really way overexposing it in trying to compensate for its 20-year history.</p>

<p>I picked up 25 rolls so have a little to play around with! It's just that with the cost of processing etc I want to try and get it right. Also; it is 8 years outdated! Also; because I'm using it for portraits through a Holga it will be impossible to bracket. Thanks everyone...</p>

<p>"Since you are shooting in Holga why would you worry? I thought that you couldn't change the exposure on a holga..."</p>

<p>That's what I meant about it being impossible to bracket :-) But I can pick the weather conditions/light to shoot it in. I have been thinking about using it on B for some long exposures inside some derelict farmhouses too, so will be able to change exposures there. But yes; will be mostly using it for portraits.</p>

<p>Thank you everyone I really appreciate your feedback</p>

<p>Yay Ross Try your favorite film through it. Process it in you favorite developer and your favorite time and you may just like the darn thing... I think that camera has a top shutter speed of 300th of a second or is it 1/100that F-32? if I am wrong correct me... Use the Sunny 16/11 rule and shoot it at ISo640 that has a great uncoated lens.... so get a lot of flare by getting the sun into it. :-)</p>