Old Photo Paper

<p>HI,<br>

Wondering if I should buy this item on ebay. <br />Its been stored in the cupboard for the last 40 years.<br>

Have a look at it.<br>

Here is the link http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/221796460332?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT</p>

<p>I want to know if you think the paper would be still good to use.<br>

Thanks<br>

Andrew</p>

<p> Fresh and new is good enough for me. If I see something at a yard sale I ask about storage and light. One time the lady told me, "I opened it and counted the sheets". Sigh.<br>

If you want to risk it go for it but Photo paper new is cheaper than film theses days.</p>

<p>The Ilford MG III will be heavily fogged with a tan finish. I bought some expired MG III RC around 12 years ago and it was already heavily fogged back then. It was a developer incorporated paper, okay for convenience in school darkrooms and casual snaps from commercial labs, but not good for anything serious. It had an interesting faux-retro look for mimicking the appearance of a very old family print.</p>

<p>MG IV is much better, although I don't know how well it holds up after expiration. I have several boxes of MG IV RC and fiber papers, but haven't used them in a few years. No idea about the Agfa, I always used it up quickly.</p>

<p>I have some old, maybe 50 year, Agfa paper that someone gave me. It seemed fine when I tried it. If kept in a cool dry basement, most will last pretty long. <br>

Most often I want larger sizes, though. </p>

-- glen

<p>I thought I'd chime in here...some years ago I found an unopened box of Ilford Multigrade in a *bookstore*, as in on the shelf among the books, for very little. So I've had it sitting around in storage against the day that I set up my own darkroom (which hopefully won't be too long) and still haven't opened it. I will guess that the paper is still fine, although the sensitivity or properties might have changed somewhat from all that time sitting. Assuming it's late '90s or early '00s vintage, what do you think I can expect compared to factory fresh paper?<br>

<br />cheers<br>

<br />Billy S.</p>

<p>Hope I'm not too late to put my two cents in. I had decided to do some printing in the darkroom and hadn't bought paper in years. I decided to use some paper I had lying around. I exposed and developed normally and I found that the paper had yellowed after all the years had passed. So the whites weren't white, they were yellow-white. Never used old paper since then and always had white-whites. </p>