Nikkormat and my latest craze (carshows)

<p>Nikon's Nikkormat FTn does not need any particular introduction. That mir website calls it as a 'sister' of the Nikon F and F2 cameras. Built like a tank (aluminum alloy and finished in chrome plating) it has a rock solid feel to it. The shutter works at all speeds without battery too. Today I took this camera to shoot car show (my latest craze). Used a NAI 50mm f/1.4 lens and Riteaid 400 film which was developed at CVS. Below are some pictures. The clouy weather today sort of helped to contain the reflection.<br /><br />As always, your comments are very much appreicated.</p>

<div>00aMLC-464349584.JPG.849dda14f4b0f053f02e3765baeff0b3.JPG</div>

<p>Sadanand,</p>

<p>Beautiful colors. The first car looks like a candy-apple treat. </p>

<p>I forget what the tail light treatment is called in picture #2. Anybody recall what it is?</p>

<p>I always like to see these restored cars. Thanks for posting.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I hate seeing posts like this when Spring is here I have Car Fever! A guy I know has an unrestored Chevy the same vintage as the one in the first two pictures. I have to see it every day at work, and I'm sure he would sell it too me at a good price. But the time and energy to fix it up I don't have. And I have a 1970 Ford Maverick and 3 Datsuns to fix first. It is always easier to find project cars than to complete them.</p>

<p>Marc - I believe the term for the tail light treatment is "Frenching": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frenching_%28automobile%29 I'm surprised remembering that, since I probably haven't thought of the term in over 40 years.</p>

<p>Len</p>

<p>Very nice pictures. I have exactly the same camera and lens (plus a few other pre-AI Nikkors). The Ftn is a superb camera. I also have an F. The Ftn has the same basic shape and feel, but the shutter mechanism is entirely different, and of course, so are the shutter and ISO speed controls. The only problem is that that the standard model doesn't make focusing easy as your eyes age. It's just a plain microprism, and it's not interchangeable.</p>

<p>The later FM and FE models feel like toys compared to an Ftn.</p>

<p>Thank you all for viewing and commenting<br>

Marc Bergman and Len Robertson - thanks for that new term. I am not so much into cars. But certainly I like shooting those classics. It is a new found thing for me <br>

Rick Drawbridge: Thanks. I did a some 'how to ' reading before going to the car show and tried to follow some of that though most of them were recommending a wide angle lens.<br>

Colin Carron: I would suggest you to try the camera. As for processing, printing, scanning, agreed it is a bit of hit or miss these days. I normally go to Target to develop and scan only. No printing. This time at CVS.<br>

Allen Hale: LOL<br>

Pierre Lachaine: You have summed it up nicely. I agree with you on the focusing. For subjects such as cars (big and colorful) it was rather easy and that f/1.4 lens helped too.<br>

Again, your comments are very much appreciated.<br>

</p>

<p>Oh my gosh, Colin. I have about the exact same picture of Dubrovnik, taken in 2006 with — wait for it — the good ol' Nikkormat FTn. (Unfortunately, I wasn't having all my film scanned then, so I can't throw a comparison shot up here. One of these days I'll pull the trigger on ScanCafe and get all that taken care of, though —or so I keep telling myself!)</p>

<p>Let me also throw in a <strong>huge</strong> +1 for the Nikkormat. It's my main shooting camera and is utterly dependable. Glad to see others are still enjoying it too. I will say that I can't quite get myself to buy cheap film, though. Pro film and pro processing just make such a difference in terms of punchiness and positive comments from others, and now that I've moved from Fuji NPC to Kodak Portra / Ektar (well, I was forced to by Fuji, but still), I spend far less time adjusting color casts and black levels in Lightroom. It does cost money, but really— if my photos of loved ones aren't worth a little more, what is?</p>

<p>Thanks for sharing, Sadanand. Those shots are spot-on and lovely.</p>

<p>Nikkormat just arrived here. I wanted a camera to be able to use some NAI lenses. Surprisingly, despite being old and the light seals pretty stale, it has no light leaks and works perfectly. Yes, these cameras were built like tanks. I use it with 35 f/2, 50 f/1.4, and 135 f/2.8 lenses.</p>

<p>On the other hand, it IS a little bit bigger and heavier than my FG or FE2.</p>