Night photography on Film

<p>Today I went to the biggest photo store in my city, looking for 800 ISO film I wanted to experiment with for night photography, I was told Fuji 800Z and Portra 800 are discontinued. I was wondering what is left for film users for night photography regarding some action, non tripod night photography.<br>

I can easily shoot at night by pushing Tri-x or T-Max 400 to 1600 and 3200, but I would like to use color.<br>

I got some rolls of 64T, which is good for being Tungsten balanced, but very slow film and needs tripod.<br>

Another option is using a flash, which I do not like at all</p>

<p>I find myself that I can not do night photography with colour film unless I get a 10 Grand $ Noctilux 0.95.</p>

<p>What would you suggest? Do you know of any film avaliable that can be pushed to perform at night with an 1.4 aperture? 400 iso overpushed maybe?<br>

(Plus, being balanced to daylight, means that I need a conversion filter for correct colours, and filters take about 2 stops... nasty matter)</p>

<p>Of course the best option would be using Kodak Vision 3 500T, but even if I get some meters to load, I wont be able to process it...</p>

<p>Portra 800 is most definitely not discontinued. Maybe your local camera store can't sell enough before the minimum order expires, so they are lying through their teeth that it's discontinued to not look incompetent.<br>

Now, Fuji 800Z is discontinued, which is sad, since it was an excellent film as well, although with a very different look from Portra 800. But there is still plenty of it in the pipeline.<br>

It does look like Kodak has discontinued the consumer MAX Zoom 800. No loss there, nasty stuff.<br>

Looks like you need to turn to mail order (B&H or Adorama if in US) for your film purchases. I just ordered 10 rolls of Portra 400 from Adorama, the local Calumet store still doesn't have this new film in stock, and I'm out of 400-speed color film.<br>

Digital cameras with good high ISO performance are really decimating sales of fast films.</p>

<p>BHphoto has Kodak and Fuji color film available in 800 ASA. Probably to slow for action photography at night. A tripod will not help for action shots. I would forget 2 stops filters myself and either accept the off colors or straighten it out in photoshop. </p>

<p>Well I also push film if I want hand held but looks like you want color and I do B&W. Tri-X Diluted Acufine 26-30 minutes light agitation 3200-6400. Color that fast these days is doable but you have to be willing to give up a bunch and by the time you push a color film that fast you may have as well shot it on B&W.<br /> This is where even I say Digital has won a battle.</p>

<p>It is sad when BH Photo has an easier-to-use and more complete listing of Kodak film products than Kodak. It does look like Max Zoom 800 is no longer available. Portra 800 is a great film to use for low light shots. It is a little faster than Fuji 800. Fuji 1600 is faster sill, but I've never been a fan of 1600 speed film. If you need to shoot at 3200, the 1600 speed film will look better, but at 1600 speed, an 800 speed film provides better results. Fast glass will help. I use the f/1.4 lens for this kind of work. </p>

<p>It is a moot point now, but I've always been amused by comments that suggest there is a big difference between Max 800 and Portra 800. The first generation of these products was rather sensitive to background radiation. When the film was near its expiration date, it was significantly grainier than when fresh. I suspect comments about the differences between Max and Portra 800 were comparing first generation films of different ages. With the most recent generation, there is a detectable difference in grain as the film ages, but it takes a careful comparison to find it. In any event, these two films share most of their components. With similar age samples kept in similar circumstances, they are indistinguishable. </p>

<p>Hi. In searching out for myself a source for Neopan 1600 I discovered on EvilBay a place in England that apparently is still selling all the Fuji fast films. That's including the 400 chrome, the 800 print and the 1600 print. The operation lists under <a title="Member id alex_london_2010" href="http://myworld.ebay.com/alex_london_2010/"><strong>alex_london_2010</strong></a> . I have zero affiliation and am going to have to pay like $10 / roll for the Neopan 1600 myself.... alas. But they seem to be the last place that has it.</p>

<p>Alvaro -- I'm telling you if you want COLOR film, 400 chrome, 800 and 1600 print, check out this place, where I just HAPPENED to be looking for neopan 1600 -- a separate quest, to be sure, but preliminary to discovering -- having read this thread -- that they had mucho fast color film in stock that over here is gone, bye, out of business.</p>

<p>On your critique of Neopan 1600, I shoot it at 800 or 1000 and process in Xtol or divided D76 and it has minimal grain and great depth and contrast. It has a beautiful black.</p>

<p>But -- I KNOW -- you're looking for color. So check that place out. Oy. You know from oy?</p>

<p>Wallgreens carries Kodak UltraMax 800 <a href="http://www.walgreens.com/search/results.jsp?Ntt=kodak+800&x=0&y=0">(link)</a>. When I was in the local store a few weeks ago it was on sale for $7.99 for the 4-pack. I thought about picking up some, but I don't do much night shooting and it would probably stay in the freezer a long time.</p>

<p>Hi everyone. Happy New Year!<br>

@Alvaro, I dont understand why you find so difficult to get a Fuji 800, there's a lot of places where it's possible to get rolls of Fujicolor Xtra 800 or Pro 800Z (at Amazon for $4, a packet of 4 by $9.95, or Adorama, Buy.com, etc.), and buy it online. What about Kodak Portra 800? It's easy to find (with the ability to push to 1600 when you need extra speed). Anyway, I didn't understood very clear your problem. Is to get the Fuji 800, or to find a good fast film? You can always get a faster one, like 1600 and pull it at 800!<br>

What Johannes just wrote is also very important. I always keep buying rolls even if i dont use them (like they say, "better have it and dont need it, to need it and dont have it"). Sometimes I just give them to my students so they can try it, and this way they will naturally have to shoot it!<br>

I'm more worried about the end of good film scanners now that also Nikon stopped production.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"I can easily shoot at night by pushing Tri-x or T-Max 400 to 1600 and 3200, but I would like to use color."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I'm surprised more people haven't recommended trying the new Kodak Portra 400. A number of photographers have raved about their results with shooting new Portra 400 at <strong>ISO 1600 and even 3200</strong>, so you'd be remiss not to at least try it before spending too much time with older-design emulsions.</p>

<p>Just do a Google search for "new portra 400 review" and start with the figitalrevolution.com four-part test (especially part 3 on usable ISOs). Also see apug.org and rangefinderforum.com, of course, always two good sources for film advice.</p>

<p>And do please report back on your experiences with it if you try it!</p>

<p>Don V.: Honestly, while the new Portra 400 looks great and I can't wait to finish off my rolls of it, the old Portra 400s were capable of similar results with pushing and/or underexposure.</p>

<p>Try out Portra 800. Just order it like everyone is saying. Also it's worth trying a 64T film (if you can still find them) on a tripod for night stuff.</p>

• 2 months later...

<p>I finaly decided to try out the new Portra 400 for i.e 1600.<br>

Some people claim to have it shot at 1600 and developed at box speed with good results.<br>

Anyone knows which is the best way to shoot 1600 on the new Portra? (night street photography, very contrasty scenes)<br>

Option 1: Shoot 1600 and develop box speed.<br>

Option 2: Shoot 1600 and push develop to 800<br>

Option 3: Shoot and push develop at 1600</p>

<p>Thank you for sharing</p>