Nicer error-handling on the photo-add page?

joshwand

If I make an error on the photo-add page, it would be nice if

photo.net redisplayed the form with the data pre-filled. As it is,

when I press the back button to correct my errors, IE6 decides to

zero out all the input boxes so I have to retype everything.

That's a problem with IE not Photo.net. Even when responding to a question (like right now) I always make it a practice to copy the text to the clipboard (highlight, ctrl-C) so that I can paste it back if I have to go back and edit. For some reason, IE (IE6)doesn't always decide to dump what I typed and sometimes will redisplay it. Dumbass computers!

I am not sure how the photo.net server could do anything in particular when you press your browser's back button. How is the server supposed to know that? Maybe with a bunch of JavaScript code, but I wonder how reliable that is going to work.

What may be possible, is to put a link on the error page, which, upon clicking it, should lead you back to a filled-in photodb page.

As for IE6 zeroing out the input boxes... couldn't you simply file a bug report at the developer's website?

<p><i>I am not sure how the photo.net server could do anything in particular when you press your browser's back button. How is the server supposed to know that? Maybe with a bunch of JavaScript code, but I wonder how reliable that is going to work.

</i>

<p>Actually, there are some appropriate HTTP headers sent by the server that are supposed to prevent this, but I couldn't tell you off the top of my head what they were...

<p><i>What may be possible, is to put a link on the error page, which, upon clicking it, should lead you back to a filled-in photodb page. </i>

<p>That was, in fact, what I was requesting.

<p><i>As for IE6 zeroing out the input boxes... couldn't you simply file a bug report at the developer's website?</i>

<p>You'll have to pardon my sarcasm when I say, oh, <i>that'd</i> help...