New York Photo Permits

At a fee, I presume ?

If this is true, then this would be the next logical step in the direction which leads to...I better stop right here.

But if it is - then I propose that we create a new religion: the act of worship will be taking photograps of the God's creation(s). If I attract some outrage here - this will only confirm that my proposal is most sound. After all, a lot is allowed to happen in the name of religious beliefs and woe to those who dare to blaspheme...

You want to read the following article before you get upset and dislodge your tin-foil chapeau...

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/29/nyregion/29camera.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

The (as yet) proposed rules apply to photo activities likely to cause a disruption on other people's right to use the public streets. You will find something similar an any other major city, including Chicago, state and national parks, etc.

"The (as yet) proposed rules apply to photo activities likely to cause a disruption on other people's right to use the public streets."

Of course (I hope) we all realize that "cause disruption" clause can be wiiiiiiiiiiide open to interpretation. So, I would expect the worst to happen.

I will give you an example regarding couple of separate acts legislation (real):

1) Running a business without permit is an offense etc.

2) Running a library is a business enterprise.

3) A library is a collection of more than 10 books.

All is fine - so far. Isn't it ?

Now, it only takes a willing prosecutor to add 2) and 3). Do you have more than 10 books in your home ? If yes, No 1) may apply...

It happened.

So, please do not tell me that I am paranoid, believe in conspiracy theories etc. etc. I just want to take my pics in peace without interference, permits, checking, disruption, confiscation of my equipment, arrest, jail sentence etc. Of course - it may mean that in the end I will be required to have a permit to avoid all that I listed above...

The unthinkable can never happen...until it happens. All, of course, in the name of and because of: (here you can list all the reasons that sound most compelling to you).

Silver Spring is a suburb of Washington DC. One of its streets in the main shopping district is private property and the owner tried to prohibit taking pictures in this street. Fortunately after a lot of brouhaha he gave in and limited it to commercial photography.

>>> So, please do not tell me that I am paranoid, ...

There are no doubt tens of thousands of snaps taken in NYC everyday without anyone going

to jail or hassled.

But maybe a tinfoil hat would be prudent if you're really sweating this...

www.citysnaps.net

The New York Times article indicates that a category in which insurance and a permit would be required is for ?any group of two or more people who want to use a camera in a single public location for more than a half hour?. It might depend on how long a person is at a certain location taking pictures and whether someone else uses the camera, such as to take the first person's picture at that same location.

>>> It might depend on how long a person is at a certain location taking pictures and

whether someone else uses the camera, such as to take the first person's picture at that

same location.

Or maybe, just maybe, it might depend on if you are shooting a documentary with crew,

equipment, etc. Ken Burns, Michael Moore, etc.

Or you can take the sky-is-falling position and assume they're going to go after any

family with a digicam Like what happens a few thousand times a day, every day, in NYC?

www.citysnaps.net

"When they came for the stranger - I did not protest, it was not the skin of my nose after all. When they came for my neighbour - I did not protest, I didn't know him very well. When they came for my friend, I was too scared to protest. When they came for me - there was no one left to protest."

Tinfoil hat ? It is sweet to live in ignorance. My (tinfoil) hat off to you, Brad :)

I agree with Leszek. This has selective enforcement written all over it. I fully expect to see some nasty PWB* or PWME** situations over this.

*photographing while black

**photographing while middle-eastern

Brad - when I said "to live in ignorance" - I did not mean "stupid" or some such. In ignorance - as to what is happening around us, when every next day is different from previous one - with more restrictions and regulations slowly creeping in, because most people are not aware or do not care until it is too late, and it becomes a new (not necessarily better) standard.

So - I did not call you "ignorant", I merely stated that "It is better to live unaware and uninformed" if you prefer this translation (supported by any dictionary you care to check). Peace.

Very sad news. I finally got one or two guys to help me carry my 8x10 and lenses in the city this summer and they want to outlaw it. I want to get a car to shoot out of town, but they want to charge me to leave town. It reminds me of the Beetles' song "If you walk they'll tax your feet". I suppose that comes next. We as citizens have been entirely too docile about the gradual erosion of personal freedoms. I have gotten too old to do much else, but anytime a politician does something I do not like, I will never vote for that person again for any office.

Sarcasm Ellis. All the libs who think that a Democratic regime is going to be sensitive are just whistling past the graveyard. Bureaucrats do what bureaucrats do no matter who is in charge. Some people whine about Giuliani, some think New York is a nicer place now.

But the fact is, Giuliani didn't do this.