New tilt shift lenses

madza_zulu

<p>People who are likely to use the 17 mm T/S are not really concerned with the protruding anything, provided that the lens performs well. (As an aside - interesting choice of comments for such a revolutionary lens...) I'm stoked by the independent tilt/shift rotation mechanism (finally!) and the image circle which allows 6.5 degree tilt on the 17 mm! The 17 mm should be a killer for interiors and I can live with my current 24 mm T/S for less extreme applications even though the amount of CA drives me up the wall!</p>

<p>The original three lenses seemed pricey enough ... until the Nikon PC-E lenses arrived. Hopefully, the new Canon lenses will match or exceed the performance of the Nikkors. The TS Revolving System is a nice feature that will probably be more useful on the longer lenses if they eventually get updated (but it may be useful when using the 24 on a 1.6-factor body). It will be interesting to see if the new lenses work with the 1.4x and 2x extenders.<br>

<br /> There is no need for concern that the 17 has only 6.5° of tilt; that's probably more than will almost ever be needed.<br>

<br /> Finally, Canon warn about hitting the prism housing when rotating the lenses on cameras with built-in flash! This has long been a problem with the current lenses (to be fair, the PC-E Nikkors have the same problem, as well as serious compatibility issues on older bodies—and to my knowledge, they don't come with a warning). The problem varies from a significant restriction (e.g., inability to use full rise in landscape orientation) to annoying (e.g., hitting the prism housing while rotating the lens at full shift). I'm not sure this means the lenses can't be used on 1.6-factor bodies, but I sure would want to see how much the movement is restricted before getting one for such a body. It's also annoying to have to think about not whacking the prism, though I'll concede that I used all three lenses on an EOS-5 without ever making contact.</p>

<p>Well, they finally got the TS-E lens that was so badly needed for the 15x22mm APS sensor cameras. However, since I only need the shift, not the tilt, I guess the 5D 24x36mm sensor camera I <strong>bought last week</strong> * for my PC-Nikkor shift lens was not such a bad idea at the prices Bob says these are going to cost.</p>

<p>__________<br /> <strong>*</strong> I point out that this is further proof, if any were needed, of von Weinberg's law that if you don't buy it new, but wait for things to settle down (thus obeying Gate's Law), then something even newer will be introduced <em>exactly one week after you finally buy</em> .</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>I can't see that this 17mm TS-E lens makes much sense on a full, 35mm size sensor.</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Considering that for architectural applications one has to shoot with some safety margin (for additional perspective correction in post), which makes the 24 T/S act more like a 28 mm lens, the wider the merrier! Just the other day I had to resort to a rather tall and rickety ladder and the 16 mm WA zoom because the 24 T/S wan't wide enough. I'd say that that's fairly common, esp. in Europe and Japan where interiors tend to be smallish in comparison to the US "acreage" and there simply is no room to "step back."</p>

<p>

<p>Canon is following Nikon and release new TS-E lenses. While most amateurs (myself included) would wish for other lenses my only conclusion is: They probably know things that we don't. There's either a large market for these lenses or it is prestige: If they have, we must have as well.</p>

<p>Happy shooting,<br>

Yakim.</p>

</p>

<p>Very nice I'm sure, but at the sort of price levels indicated, I shall not be retiring my "Mark I" TS24 in favour of the new model. Since it is almost exclusively the shift movement rather than the tilt movement that I use, I am considering whether I still need it at all. The huge pixel count of current DSLRs makes cropping from a shot taken at 16/17mm on FF or 10mm on 1.6-factor (or longer focal lengths if full shift is not being used) into an alternative worth considering. Incidentally, since quite a lot of the cost of TS lenses is in the superb mechanical engineering, I wonder if there would be a market for a much less expensive shift-only version of the 24mm lens?</p>

<p>What the Canon announcement does not say, as far as I can see, is anything about how these lenses interact with DPP's aberration correction capabilities. Good they may be - and no doubt the 24 II is considerably better than the original - but "we ain't got no lousy aberrations" doesn't carry conviction for lenses of this nature. Trying to do anything about this in relation to tilt would probably be a pretty heroic task. But I don't see any reason in principle why there should not be enough electronics in such a lens to allow it to report to the camera where the lens axis has been shifted to. Once that is known, in the absence of any tilt, the correction processes for peripheral illumination (likely to be very important especially on the 17mm), distortion and CA are only a minor generalisation of those for any ordinary lens.</p>

<p>We also don't know whether the unofficial compatibility of TS lenses with Extenders applies to these new lenses. I can't image it being sensible to want to do this with the TS17, but there must be many people who, like myself, have created a reasonably useable "TS34" from the Extender 1.4x and the original TS24. However, that was then - film - and this is now - digital - and pretty much the same effect can be obtained by using a TS24 on a 1.6-factor body. If and when Canon update the TS90, it would be nice if they could actually support Extender use properly.</p>

<p>Arrrgh! I was hoping that Canon would work on their short end -- but not on T/S or at these price points. I thought they'd react to Nikon's 14-24mm f/2.8 G or the forthcoming Zeiss 21mm f/2.8, not Nikon's new T/S lenses.</p>

<p>I'm hoping for upgrades for their badly outdated 20mm f/2.8 and 28mm f/1.8, but it seems to me that Canon's strategy now is to mostly design new EF-S zooms to cater to the consumer market and >$1500 niche lenses to market themselves as "superior" and "cutting edge". Probably a sound business line strategy, but leaves a certain segment (me) underserved. </p>

<p>Long periods of frustration waiting for Canon to produce the lens that YOU want, and are certain everybody else wants, are nothing new. Just occasionally they are richly rewarded, for example with the release of the 70~200/4L IS. My personal list would include an improved 100~400 delivering the same level of optical performance as the 70~200/4L IS (that's a pretty popular choice), but I might be even happier with a non-extending 100~300/4L IS (similar to the 70~200/2.8L IS in size and shape, but it might need to use the new 82mm filter size) that worked really well on the Extender 1.4x. My other "wish list" item is a modern short FF macro going to 1:1, say 60mm and, ideally, f/2, happy for it to be L-series, but I'm not holding my breath waiting for that one. Many would regard a 400/5.6L IS as a no-brainer, and certainly it now looks very odd to have no IS on a lens that long.</p>

<p>I would love the 24mm lens (and the 5D/II with it, of course) but it's <em>totally</em> out of my budget. It's quite telling that Canon release these lenses as Nikon release a budget 35/1.8 for crop cameras. They must be pretty sure about their respective market strategies, knowing things that we don't, as Yakim puts it.</p>

<p>"all I hope for is that the new lenses drive the price of the older TS-E lenses down considerably. Been chomping at the bit for a 24mm canon ts-e for a long time, but cant justify the +$1000 price tag."</p>

<p>Hah. If anything, the existing Mk 1 (and non updated) TS-E lenses are likely to go UP on the used market, since the new ones are so much more expensive. There will probably be a scramble to buy the existing ones at existing prices before they are completely unavailable (in the case of the 24 that is). I doubt the market will get flooded with used TSE 24s by people wanting to upgrade @ twice the price or more.</p>

<p>-Ed</p>

<p>I think I will keep shooting my Arca Swiss, and my "old" 24 tse lens...I personally wouldn't have a use for tilt on 17mm, shift yes. I can see an aftermarket $175 case by Pelican or someone, I am sure Canon will include not much more than the soft leather plastic case. Or does the lens retract like a tube of lipstick? <humor please no responses from optical engineers> Hey Canon, how about a fixed 17mm f4 lens? I can see it now....<em>hey sailor is that a Canon 17mm tse lens in your pocket, or are you happy to see me? </em></p>

<p>"I wonder how to protect the dome on 17mm ?"</p>

<p>My Sigma 12-24 has a front element like this. It has a HUGE, special lens cap. Of course there's no protection when the lens is uncapped. Even so, I've not found it to be a problem. I would think a special cap could be designed for the 17mm TS that locks into the petal shade bayonette.</p>

<p>Since the availability of tilt&shift lenses and full-frame bodies were my main reason to go with Canon a couple of years ago, I find the announcement of the 17mm TS-E the most exciting news in a long time. It's quite simple spectacular and will make interior shots a lot easier.</p>