New law in Hungary of relevance to street photogs

<p>A new law goes into effect in Hungary today requiring the permission of everyone in a photograph to be in there:<br>

<a href="http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/14/hungary-law-photography-permission-take-pictures">http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/14/hungary-law-photography-permission-take-pictures</a><br>

This to me is excessive. Comments/thought from others?</p>

<p>Dear Mr. Horváth,<br>

<br>

I read today of the new Hungarian law that requires photographers to have the permission of any persons in their photographs. It is of course laughable to think this is actually possible much of the time. Besides, unless almost all Hungarian people speak English, it would be impossible for me to ask their permission. I don’t speak Hungarian.<br>

<br>

I therefore will entertain no plans to visit Hungary in the future, as it is not my desire to violate your laws. I’m sure my tourism dollars will not be missed.<br>

<br>

Sincerely,<br>

Sarah Fox,<br>

www.graphic-fusion.com</p>

<p>Good for you Sarah-here is my contribution:<br>

Dear Sir,<br /><br />In view of the new law that would require me to get the permission of everyone appearing in my photographs, I find it quite impossible to even consider a visit to your country.<br /><br />Too bad as I have seen travelogues of Budapest and it appears to be a very beautiful and therefore photogenic city.<br /><br />I guess places such as Paris, Berlin, and Prague will just have to do; I have been to all of them before and will be going back but not to Budapest or anywhere else in Hungary.<br /><br />Charles Becker<br /><br />Toronto, Ontario, Canada</p>

<p>Here in Illinois, the police apparently still feel that it is illegal to take pictures of police. The courts have said "no" but ....</p>

<p>I personally have been detained (for a little while) for taking pictures inside my local Mall.</p>

<p>When I was last in Hungary (Soviet Era), it was strongly forbidden to take pictures of (among other things) bridges.<br>

Here is my picture of the Soviet Liberation Monument on the hill. The Erzsébet Bridge in the foreground is strictly incidental.</p>

<p> </p><div>00cS6P-546261884.jpg.500f6a4117434c8917ed980be052d811.jpg</div>

<p>Hi William Kahn. It is a very bad translation to Hungarian. If you don't know the language, it is very hard to pronounce it. Like the English for me.<br /> It is more like that;<strong><em> Menj a picsabe a kepbol, nemlatod hogy fotozni akarok?!</em></strong> Even if you pronuncing with a heavy English, everybody will understand. But you have to pronouncing loudly. Oh, and try to avoid the rotten tomatoes.</p>

<p>Ain't this site wonnerful?</p>

<p>Where else could you find such discussions? [That's a rhetorical question and does not require or even seek an answer. As the old Scottish guy in the horror movies says: "Thyre things mon is not meant to know."] :)</p>

<p>The last time I visited Hungary (and it is a beautiful country) it was 10 years ago with a film camera. So it seems I won't be visiting any time soon with digital - shame as now I live next door I had planned to go. I feel sorry for photo-journalists trying to do their job there.<br>

For anyone who wants to write, here is the English version of Sarah's link to the <em>Hungarian Tourist Board.</em><br>

http://gotohungary.com/ and the Office's email info@itthon.hu<br>

Also the The current Chairman of the <em>Committee on Sport and Tourism, </em>Dr Zsolt Bohács and associated email <a href="mailto:zsolt.bohacs@parlament.hu">zsolt.bohacs@parlament.hu</a><br>

Unfortunately I couldn't dig up the Minister of Tourism's name.<br>

Laurie</p>

<p>"It's obvious to me the Commies are coming back"</p>

<p>I thought they were all still in hiding under folks beds.</p>

<p>The previous Mayor Of London wanted to ban photos in public places; he even had little signs to put around London. Then someone worked out that the Tower of London just could not hold 5 million tourist at one time so the idea was dropped.</p>

<p>It later turned out, and revealed in the press, he had a number of young ladies he liked to visit...those photographers.</p>

<p>There is always a hidden agenda why people in power like to ban freedom of information.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>""It's obvious to me the Commies are coming back.""</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Gary, with all possible signs of respect, I would suggest to you that you start reading the news !!</p>

<p>The Prime Minister of Hungary since 2010 is the populist <strong>Viktor Mihály Orbán, </strong>leader of the National Conservative party. His government mainly excels in attacking media freedom; strong critic of the European Union; a new Constitution with “God Bless Hungarians” and seen by the EU and the US as a threat to democracy in the country. He is an former football player (in Ukraine it is boxing) and violent anti communist. This new law on photography is as could have been expected.</p>

• 3 weeks later...

just reading this thread... any of you actually tried to read that law to get what it is or you base sending letters and planning your vacation on whatever The Guardian writes?

It is to allow people that have their picture taken, and are identifiable in the picture, to be able to go to court and ask for damages if they have grounds for that... and doesnt forbid pictures taken in public events but the photographer has to oblige someone that doesnt want their picture taken if they go to them and protest.

So someone wont find themselves in the situation where every joe smith with a camera can take a picture of them and get told " well its a public place so i take a picture if i want and you cant say anything about it" and right after saying that point the camera right in your face and snaps another pic.

(hasnt always been normal courtesy to ask for permission when taking pictures of a person and law to have them agreeing if the pic was to be used commercially... or im just old?)

Same when it comes to take pictures of police, uniformed or not... have never been told "you CANT" but been told "please dont..."

Many European countries have similar laws, in Sweden you have to ask everyone permission in "private settings" for example.

Not saying its the best law in the way its written, but the reactions seem a tad exaggerated