need a fast, cheap, scanner for documents

<p>Just what the topic says. I would like a fast, and (under $150) scanner for scanning receipts and the very occasional photo. Speed will really make a difference to me, but I don't think I need a sheet feeder.</p>

<p>I use a Mac with VueScan software for this purpose. My old computer just died and I guess the SCSI interface scanner dies with it :(</p>

<p>So any suggestions?</p>

<p>In the pc world support for the ISA / Plug and play scanner cards ended with windows 2000 and newer.<br>

BUT a PCI scsi card with a cable to connect to the scanned still eill eork.<br>

I am not knowlegable abut the Bus connections on a Mac.<br>

but it is likely an adaptex 2930 or 2940 or similar car will work in a mac<br>

thing is the scsi connector on older scanners used to be a big connetor<br>

not too different from a centronics.<br>

and the card uses a db25 female connector .<br>

the newer adaptec cards use a smaller 2 3/8" wide connector.</p>

<p>I went thry a big box of various scsi cables and put two together so the<br>

old scanner could be used, becides the newer pc's do not have ISA card slots,.<br>

the software should still work.<br>

we have sine upgraded to a USB scanner as scsi scanner 1 does ( bad lamp) and scsi scanners 2 & 3 were only 300 dpi.</p>

<p>The least expensive, yet good flatbeds are sold as Epson prefection<br>

got to the website and buy a refurb. low prices.</p>

<p>I bought an Epson NX400 "Copier, Scanner and Photo Printer" for $70 at Office Max. It makes incredibly gorgeous prints with the right settings out of Photoshop. If I want to make a copy of a form or receipt, I just place it on the scanner and hit "Copy". No editing and no computer required. Not fast for high speed volume copying but fast scanner and still sharp looking prints.</p>

<p>Now Walmart has the same thing from Canon or it might be HP for $40. Don't know the quality of those.</p>

BG,

What Tim wrote. Since you don't need a film-capable scanner, my recommendation would be to head down to a larger computer store like MicroCenter or Fry's and have a look at their cheapest models. They're all USB now. You should be able to find a unit that'll do everything you want for well less than $100. If you're willing to buy used, you could probably pick up a used one off Craigslist or similar for $20-40. Chances are you could get an all-in-one unit (print/copy/scan/fax) for not much more than $100 these days.

<p>Thanks for the ideas. I hadn't thought of Walmart :)</p>

<p>I don't need the printer, but if it's cheaper, maybe ok. I'm most concerned that the scan will be very slow on the cheapest models. If anyone has any experience with the scan speed of these cheap scanners or all in ones please let me know.</p>

<p>On my Epson NX400 the scan is fast but the printer is slow for copying. I've never used the scanner to scan photos or anything else into my computer to work on.</p>

<p>I believe there are auto settings when hitting copy that control the resolution to allow it to scan fast but probably slower at higher rez for photos acquired through Epson's TWAIN interface. Not sure since I never used to scan only to copy.</p>

<p>I had to throw out a good scanner Epson Perfection 3200, since there was no driver for Vista or Windows 7. There was a 3rd party application that would work but costs about a $100. The Epson Perfection V330 Photo was about the $100 price. Though does not scan large size paper like the old one but there is a stiching software, and film scan size is limitted to 35 mm film/slide size.</p>

Frank, when I upgraded my PC to Win7, I installed it in a separate disk drive partition just so I'd be able to dual-boot between XP and 7. Cuz I got stuff that 7 won't run that I still need to use. And to me, XP works just fine. It's stll more stable than 7 anyway.

Wish I would have known about your P3200 -- I'd have had you throw it my way. :)